• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear tire worn beyond limits?

Theiceman

The front tire is a new Michelin pilot rood 4 gt radial.  The rear tire is a Dunlop 150  80 16 R and it needs to be replaced. I can get a shanko, Dunlop or avon rear tire. I am thinking the avon? I read the service manual and the tech pages on rear wheel  removal but the service manual says to remove the final gear case the tech pages don't? The tech pages say to remove both mufflers the service manual dose not? I don't know how to remove the rear wheel but I think I could  figure it out by just taking things apart?

Ice Man,
The first thing I do when removing the rear wheel is to get the bike raised up by putting the center stand onto a couple of pieces of wood (I made myself a little wooden box) to raise the rear wheel a few inches higher in order to get the tire out from under the rear fender.  I only remove the right side muffler, and the luggage on both sides for easier access to the axle.  Then I remove the caliper and support it with a bungee cord to keep any strain off the connections.  There is a 27mm castle nut with a cotter pin that has to be removed.  It is not very hard to figure out once you look at it.  Where are you located in the southwest?  If you are in the Denver area, I have a NoMar tire changer and could assist you. 

Mike Reed

I am in Ontario California. Shouldn't it be the left side muffler?  Because the axle is on the left side? Ok but then will the rear wheel just come right off?

Ice Man,
The axle slides out to the left, the nut that has to be removed is on the right side.  You can remove both mufflers if you want to get the axle out easier (the mufflers are very easy to remove). 

Remove both exhaust  cans as they are easy to remove  and it makes it easier to work on.

The easiest way I know is to remove the 4 nuts that hold the final drive on.
Now you can roll the tire and final drive unit  out from the bike as one unit. Install the  same say way as one unit.
Because you do it this way you will not have to raise the bike any higher than  the center stand by itself. The fender will no longer be in your way. Just keep the final drive upright or oil will come out
Also I think  your supposed to look and check and lube the spline and check / replace the small  O ring  seal that is located at that drive shaft location  so you should  be removing the final drive anyway. Dont forget to lube the  wheel to final drive mating teeth with the proper  >60% moly such as Honda Moly 60. 
Regular grease that says Moly is not the correct grease.

When I use the method of removing the entire final drive for service, on re-assembly I always final tighten the four bolts holding the final drive to the swingarm after I tighten the axle bolt. I think that lets the axle find its happy alignment. The drive mounting bolts have more room to move around in their holes. I don't think there's any "science" to support that, but that's what I do with all my shafties.

I am going with the rear shinko 150/80 16 rh 77 ? I think there are two ways of memoving the rear wheel?  You can remove the final gear case or remove the rear wheel without remaining the final gear case?  Question would it be a good idea to build a hoist and hang the bike from the hoist to make this easy too do?