• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Reasonable price to have fork seals replaced by dealer?

dirtwiz

My 2011 C14 has both fork seals leaking at 70,000 miles. Does anyone know what a fair dealer repair cost should be? I tried the seal saver tool but it just made it worse and it is to the point where it has drips of oil on the fork legs and rims and I don't want to ruin my new brake pads. I'd rather pay for the repair than deal with a tip over in my garage. Input would be appreciated.

Brought my bike to a local shop in Tucson and cost $300 for new seals. Definitely made a difference.

Brought my bike to a local shop in Tucson and cost $300 for new seals. Definitely made a difference.
Was it a dealer or an independent shop? My local dealership is super reasonable so I'm hoping for a good price. Will call them Monday.

You've heard this story before. Learn how to replace the seals yourself and with all the money you'll save, buy a nice bottle of Scotch for a job-well-done!

If you haven't done it already, you should try giving the seals a good cleaning. You may just have a accumulation of dirt and bugs stuck to the seals after 10 years. I use this seal doctor tool from RISK racing, cleans the oil seal and dust wiper seal. For $25 bucks it could save you a trip to the dealer and lots of money. If it doesn't, you just added another very handy tool to your motorcycle tool box.

70,000 miles on those forks and that fork oil is done. IMHO time to send them to Race Tech or Traxxion for a complete rebuild. It will be well worth the $$$$.

$190 at Arnies in Murrieta California... brought them in and they did the rest for my 1400 Concours. I told him I did my own with my Gen 1 Busa.... He asked me why I didn't do them myself? I explained that after looking at the shop manual I thought it was better to have them do it.

Its been a few years since I did my Busa seals... as I recall it wasn't hard and they have held up fine since then...

Good tips you guys. I did use the seal tool and I think that made it worse. I talked to my dealership yesterday and for them to remove forks, totally disassemble and clean and flush everything is $189 labor (2 hours) plus about $40 for seals and fluid. Ride in and ride out works for me. When I die I'm pretty sure I will have $250 left over (that's how I justify everything). I was nervous about stories of people having trouble getting bolts out. I just don't need the hassle and I have done everything on my bikes for over 50 years with the exception of a valve adjust on this bike which Fred Harmon did. I'm 68 and I can afford it. Thanks for your input on this.

70,000 miles on those forks and that fork oil is done. IMHO time to send them to Race Tech or Traxxion for a complete rebuild. It will be well worth the $$$$.
Agree on the oil after wiping it off it looked like tar so I know it is shot. If I had a suspension shop local to me I would rather do that but I would have to go 125 miles to Las Vegas and the best shop down there is still closed due to Covid. Just a lot easier to have it done locally and they are always reasonable in my opinion. I will probly put 100K on this bike then look for another one.

If you haven't done it already, you should try giving the seals a good cleaning. You may just have a accumulation of dirt and bugs stuck to the seals after 10 years. I use this seal doctor tool from RISK racing, cleans the oil seal and dust wiper seal. For $25 bucks it could save you a trip to the dealer and lots of money. If it doesn't, you just added another very handy tool to your motorcycle tool box.

Did you get the small or large?