• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Recommended oil

I will start this oil thread off

I use a mix. I use two quarts of Rotella T-4 15 wt 40 Dino oil and one quart of Rotella T-6 15 wt 40 full synthetic oil. 3 quarts will be just under the sight glass. I call it a semi- synthetic. This has worked for me for years
I use this in my Suzuki 1250 bandit And my Honda 750 nighthawk And my new to me Kawasaki ZG 1000.
Yes I have 3 motorcycles. Partial to the last one it's red and some say it is the fastest.

I use Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck oil.
Just make sure whatever oil you decide on isn’t car oil with energy conserving additives (most car oil) as the wet clutch will not play well with those and you may end up with slippery clutch plates.

Buy some Diesel Truck Oil, put it in your connie, and relax.

I've been using Shell Rotella T for about 20 years.
I've used Dino Oil (T4), Semi synthetic (T-5) and full synthetic (T-6).
I've also added special additives to help shifting and clutch action.
All worked fine. NEVER had a problem.

PS: In the 20+ years that I've been a COG Member, people have discussed the BEST Oil constantly, and will continue to do so after tis discussion.
People put out all kinds of info.
,,,1 Most is info they read on the Internet.
,,,,2 Much came from salesmen.
,,,,4 More is what their Buddy suggested.
,,,,3 Some is from knowledgeable Members that know more than me.
Everyone has their own preference and have reasons for their choice. (Those reasons are Supported by 1, 2, 3, or 4)

I worked for Shell Oil/Fuels and Lubes Research Division, and asked the Oil Engineers.
,,,, They said Diesel Truck Oil is basically the same blend as Motorcycle Blends, cost less, and is ideal for motorcycles.
I talked to Kawasaki Home Office/Engineering about this.
,,,, They said Diesel Truck Oil is basically the same blend as Motorcycle Blends, cost less, and is ideal for motorcycles.

Worked for me, so I repeat; Buy some Diesel Truck Oil, put it in your Connie, and relax.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Dean, I saw your note and adjusted it a little. (ie; I fix't it for ya).
But why mix instead of just buying Semi Synthetic?
,,,,,,, Yes I have 3 motorcycles. Partial to the last one, it's red and some say "it IS the fastest" color.

Last edited:
I mix oil's to get a good grade of semi synthetic. using the T-4 and the T-6. I do not want to much full synthetic in the mix. The Suzuki 1250 bandit hates full synthetic. Clutch plates will stick. This has always worked for me and I have never had a problem.
Connie Rider . 20 years at shell tells me you know that Rotella is the best oil you can buy for your bike. I agree and that is why I use it. Rotella T-4 & T-6 is JASO certified and that makes me happy.

I stopped using oil awhile ago as I felt I was one with the bike and we talked about it and we both concluded that this oil business is way over rated. So, we go day by day and I figured that if this oil stuff is ever needed I will know just by the sound and feel of the bike.