• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Reinstall Starter Lever Spring

I should have taken a picture. I pulled apart my carbs for cleaning ('87 Concours (new to me!)) and, during reinstallation, found I am not sure where the Starter Lever Spring connects. I know that it is used for returning the choke slide bar, but I'm not sure where the spring connects. If anyone could either describe how that spring is installed or could post a photo, I'd be much obliged. Hans 920-559-6094

Hans, looking at the photo in my Clymer manual, it looks like one end of the spring hooks on the tang on the front of the lever and the other end hooks on the #2 carb. I'm not totally sure, but it may hook around the stub for the vacuum line. I can't really see it from looking at my bike, but you should be able to tell. Good luck. Eddie 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

Thanks, that makes sense and matches what I wanted to remember. That would also act as a choke closer which I know is what it is supposed to be. By the way, the spring does appear to slip over the vacuum nipple. Hans

If you go to Kawasaki.com, on the lower left hand corner of the home page, there's an Owner Info link. Mousing over it gives you a list of choices. Choosing Owner's Manuals, Warranty and More takes you to a search page that'll let you select your year and model. This gives you access to parts drawings, specifications and other handy stuff. Sometimes the drawings aren't clear enough to show where the part belongs in the assembly, but most of the time it is. I find it pretty darned handy. :)

That site is also handy when you need to >shudder!< purchase a part from your local Kawasaki dealer. Go on line first and jot down the part number you need. Then when you go to the parts counter to inquire of Zippy The Jetski Boy who is currently suffering from a Red Bull Crash, and tell him you want a valve cover bolt washer and grommet to an 89 Concours, and he shuffles over to the terminal only to stop with his mouth agape, turns to you and says "Uuuhhhh, dude, what year is your ski again?" you can simply hand him the piece of paper and say "Gimme One of These." Why No, I have an EXCELLENT rapport with my local Kawasaki parts d**khead. WHy do you ask?