• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Remove fairing panel without removing crash bars?

kzz1king

I have the old police (bathtub) bars. Can someone tell me if I can cut some of the fin braces for easy removal? Or does that only work with the canyon cages?

Their both made by MC so I would assume they both have the same mounting points, just look different. If that's the case you cut a 1" slot in the second fin brace down, the bottom fin does not brace/cross support. The fairing comes right off as if bars aren't there. I would take a picture but it's not possible to see the cut without fairing removal.

Their both made by MC so I would assume they both have the same mounting points, just look different. If that's the case you cut a 1" slot in the second fin brace down, the bottom fin does not brace/cross support. The fairing comes right off as if bars aren't there. I would take a picture but it's not possible to see the cut without fairing removal.
Thanks.I will take a look at it next week. Sadly our riding season is at its end. Time for some serious maintainance

I have the old police (bathtub) bars. Can someone tell me if I can cut some of the fin braces for easy removal? Or does that only work with the canyon cages?
I have the bath tub bars. I recall only cutting one fin on each side of the fairing plastic. Will check tomorrow to make sure. Have removed the plastic many times since so I know it works.

Thought I could get a picture of the fairing fin part that I cut. I will try to describe it from memory. You don't cut the fin! The piece that gets cut is the flat piece that goes between the fins. Only need to cut one spot in order to remove/install the fairing. My bike is an 08 so there could be differences. When I was installing the bars I remove the fairing completely. Then installed the bars. Then I replaced the fairing. At that time it became intuitively obvious where to cut. Think twice before cutting and don't go overboard. Remember you don't have to cut the fin just the flat piece that goes between the fins and it will be out of sight when its reinstalled.

Attachments

• img20211031_10012523.pdf
    223.2 KB · Views: 130
Here's where i cut mine...i gad only cut it, but i like cliffs idea to cut a 1inch piece out at that spot.. i have a 2010 model.

Attachments

• 16356996398056498577540385242592.jpg
    16356996398056498577540385242592.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 116
Can't see much in these pictures.

Attachments

• DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00073.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC00074.JPG
    DSC00074.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 108
Didn't mention one thing. If you are removing existing bars or installing new bars. Only work on one side at a time. There is the possibility that the engine could drop out of place.

Didn't mention one thing. If you are removing existing bars or installing new bars. Only work on one side at a time. There is the possibility that the engine could drop out of place.
Thanks. I had a jack under it last time I did valves . Hoping to only move one side this go round.