• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Repair and Battery Upgrade for Gen 1 Tyre Pressure Monitoring Sensors

Eddie Green

My tyre mechanic did it again, properly broke the sensor case, circuit board and valve stem! These are the 1st generation sensors with a battery that is replaceable and I wanted to keep these alive rather than fit 2nd gen sensors.

FullImage.ashx

As you can see, the positive terminal is broken away on the board, I've re-engineered a solder point for the positive rail on the board.

I'm posting my modifications to the sensor which I have just completed. This comprises of a replacement battery holder that does not require soldering the battery, and a robust nylon enclosure closely matching the shape of the original.

The width of the enclosure has been increased from 23.6mm to 28.3mm to accommodate the size of the battery board and also to provide a 2mm wall thickness for added strength.

It's designed as a repair or an upgrade to the OEM sensor module, where the original board, if it's still functional, is removed and the battery terminals on the board are de soldered and replaced with 24AWG flexible silicone wire with ring terminals to attach to the battery holder. The enclosure lid is held down by screws that also anchor the two circuit boards and complete the battery circuit. The original sensor standoff and spring are required for re-fitting to the wheel.

This is the battery holder:

FullImage.ashx

The following images show components and the assembly detail:

FullImage.ashx

FullImage.ashx

FullImage.ashx

FullImage.ashx

FullImage.ashx

The components required are in production at the moment. I've ordered enough 3D prints and circuit boards to make six units so will have spare sets to make available to people who would like to perform the upgrade.

I'm also waiting on 8.3mm right-angled valve stems which will complete the project.

I'd be interested to know whether it is worthwhile producing these as a kit, so let me know your views.

If it were mine, I would send it to Fred Harmon. He sells the maintenance tapes/Disk. He has the equipment to make sure the sensor is working after battery replacement. And it is worth it to me anyways to just send it to him. Quick turn around on my 1st gen sensors. Sorry guys I don't think he is doing the 2nd gen sensors.

I think I would find another mechanic. When I have tires changed I remind the shop these have sensors just like the Goldwing's do. They always go Ahhhhh.

Looks good Eddie. The right angle valve stems would be a major improvement as well. Do you have an idea on pricing for the kit?

Impressive work there! Just curious...do you know how many grams one of these weigh with the right angle valve stem on it?

If it were mine, I would send it to Fred Harmon. He sells the maintenance tapes/Disk. He has the equipment to make sure the sensor is working after battery replacement. And it is worth it to me anyways to just send it to him. Quick turn around on my 1st gen sensors. Sorry guys I don't think he is doing the 2nd gen sensors.

I think I would find another mechanic. When I have tires changed I remind the shop these have sensors just like the Goldwing's do. They always go Ahhhhh.
Have you examined what Eddie has done above? I believe that he's a bit beyond what Fred does here.

Yes, I saw that. Eddie has come up with a good plan but is still in development. But in the mean time Fred is most likely available to make repairs and knows more about the sensors than most think or know. Fred has the equipment to make sure the sensor is transmitting. I would hate to go through getting a sensor off the wheel fix it and reinstall. Then find out there was something else that caused the sensor to fail.

A while back I managed to hit a rather deep pot hole. It took both sensors out and I thought I had bent a front wheel. Turns out I threw a wheel weight and Fred got both sensors working again.

Nice job. I think the US version is slightly different than the Europe model old style sensors. I believe the US version of the old sensor has one crew under a metal sticker rather than 3. But I wonder if the numbers on needs to register to the ECU isn't listed on the ID number.

Hi Eddie, I feel you pain, somewhat. My contact at Sky Cycles in Decatur, AL broke the same (last week) when dinking around with it, to replace the battery. Fortunately, for me, he had to fork out the $$s to nab a new one from Kawasaki. It just took longer for me to get back on the road.

Happy to hear this worked out for you. Great job!

THESE ARE GREAT SOLUTIONS!!

I am doing a battery replacement now. I tried to solder wires on the 2032 lithium cell and was only successful on one, the other melted the internal insulator and the battery began leaking. I DO NOT recommend soldering the batteries, it's dangerous and does not produce good results. If you are going to solder the connections, buy batteries with the flanges I think I paid $7.55 including tax and shipment on eBay.

The better solution would be these solutions - well done gents!!

And I think I have a working 45 degree valve stem solution that I am going to try out on my stock sensors when the tires are mounted Saturday. I'll take pictures of the sensors outside the rims tonight and then get pics later when the tires are mounted. I hope to have good luck with these so others can use the same parts.

THESE ARE GREAT SOLUTIONS!!

I am doing a battery replacement now. I tried to solder wires on the 2032 lithium cell and was only successful on one, the other melted the internal insulator and the battery began leaking. I DO NOT recommend soldering the batteries, it's dangerous and does not produce good results. If you are going to solder the connections, buy batteries with the flanges I think I paid $7.55 including tax and shipment on eBay.
To be more clear - I bought a PAIR of batteries with flanges for $7.55 total cost to my mailbox.