• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

repairing tank leaks

The most permanent repair would be to weld it. Other methods include epoxy on the hole then sealer on the inside.

I had this problem on my KLR. JB Weld has an epoxy for gas tanks. I sanded the area to bare metal. Dimpled the hole with a small ball peen hammer to have room to apply the epoxy. Applied the epoxy, sanded and painted with touch up. Never had a problem with it.

Scott

Used POR-15 kit works good however a lot of work, stripper followed by nuts and bolts shake,
then clean with acid and a wash then final application to the sealer, not even acetone will
break it down once applied. It's not epoxy it something else and so slick a fly can't land on it.

Russell

POR 15 works as good as any product on the market but the key to any sealing job is to get all the old rust out first. You can clean with muratic acid followed by sand blasting or the old fill it full of nuts and washers trick and shake it for longer than your arms will tolerate.  Regarding the previous recommendation to weld.....this will only work if there is no rust in the weld repair area.  Don't rule out trying to locate a good used tank if the one you're trying to repair is in bad shape rust wise.