• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Replacing Fork Bushings

Jussobad

Big Wheel
I recenty took the front end of my 2004 Connie apart to grease and adj the steering head bearings.  I kept feeling a movement while shaking the forks back and forth (front end off the grnd). Realized it was the forks wobbling.  I am guessing that I need to replace the bushings but do not know if the special tools are absolutely required or can I monkey with it?  I have most other tools.

No special tools needed. Impact is nice to have....

Have not done this in some time. So, this is from memory...
Probably the easiest is;  Turn the fork upside down and remove the bolt from the bottom of the lower fork leg with an allen socket and impact.
Then turn the fork right side up and dump the oil out.

Next;  disassemble the fork tube from the top as usual.
          Remove cap, and spring.
          Remove dust cap clip ring, and remove seal.

One bushing is on the OD at the bottom of the upper Fork leg.
The other bushing is below the seal at the top of the lower fork leg.
Both should come out easily..

Ride safe, Ted