• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Replacing OEM Windshield

EyeOnTheSky

Tricycle
I just bought a 24.5" windshield from Cee Bailey's to replace the OEM 18.5" windshield. I want to replace it myself but I've read that if you overtighten the mounting screws, there will be "stars" around the mounting holes or, worse still, the VERY expensive fairing may crack. Does anybody have any experience successfully replacing the windshield?

I replaced my OEM with a Cee Baily with no issues at all. There's a difference between tight and TIGHT. Don't get ham-fisted and you should have no problems.

Yep, many times. Just snug them down, don't over-tighten. also, when removing the screws, don't push in on the screwdriver, let the screws back out. Otherwise the nut on the inside gets pushed out of it's holder and falls down inside the engine........Or, so I've heard!!!!!!

I switch back and forth, seasonal, between a shorty and regular, it's not a problem, is there anyone in your area? It's really very simple Virginia Beach, VA COG 6517 03 Concours (9/11/04) 01 Concours (8/16/08) USN Retired

Glad I noticed this thread, I will be replacing my windshield on Wednesday - and I am expecting it to be fairly easy, and I even have a magnet in case I drop any nuts! Riding>Driving COG #8051 (finally) Almost daily rider :)

If you push one of those captive nuts into the fairing you will need more then a magnet. :) ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

If you push one of those captive nuts into the fairing you will need more then a magnet. Let's put it this way you might as well adjust the valves while you are at it. :eg: Respectfully Yours! Wess Heavner COG #8010 CDA #0239
2488051070102653285S200x200Q85.jpg