• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Resizing Pictures for Posting

Scary Harry

Fear is not boring. COG# 4090
Over the years, I happen to notice pictures (fotobucket) dissappearing from previous posts.
I also noticed that many folks don't know how to resize their massive cell phone pictures.

I may have a solution.

Try this site: https://tinypng.com/

What you do is send your photo to the above site. It auto-magically crunches it down, like waaaaay down in size.
It then provides a link to where you download it back to your computer.
After you download the new image, you can add it as an attachment to your post.

I have to say, it works great and does not lose image quality.

Here's an example: My typical cell phone image is 3.6Mb. After crunching, it came out at 320kB. Big difference.
If after your image is still too big (>340kB), then run it through again. After each iteration, the file gets smaller, and quality may suffer a tad.

But, I have to say, it has been working great for me on every try. It is a big time saver as I don't have to open my image editors to do the ugly manual resizing.

:great:

I downsize them in Paint also, then upload them to the COG Media center,  then "reference" them from there to show up in posts. Not hard. Cheaper than a hosting site. I like the idea though.

If you're using a Mac or MacBook simply open (double click) on the photo then export (click file, export) to to your desktop. You can choose the quality and size. Then when choosing the file to load onto COG simply select the photo from your desktop. You can then delete the photo from your desktop to keep it from getting to junked up and the original photo will still be in the photo directory.

IrfanView is another great freeware tool, that does a lot more than resizing.

One limitation is it can only manipulate one graphic file at a time.

There are others out there that can do tasks in batches.

just doing this again, because it hasn't been said in a while

I know we all like 10 zillion megapixel photos...
but in reality, turn your camera's setting for file size down... and then you can easily use software like this, to make pictures that fit as attachments... using the "image" and 'resize and re sample' on the software...

https://www.irfanview.net/

It would be nice if the forum software would automatically resize what is sent to it. No screwing around with uploads downloads throughloads or guessing what will or will not work.

I've been doing some travel lately and have some pretty cool pics. I just haven't found an easy way to post without the above shenanigans.

A nice, easy, seamless transfer from Google photos would be really cool.

Google Play has some Apps that will resize your photo.

Use keywords "photo" + "resize" and several of them pop up.
Try them all till you find one that works for you.

Harry Martin said:

I have one and tried a couple others. Still a P.I.A.

But thanks.    :beerchug:

SteveJ. said:
Harry Martin said:

I have one and tried a couple others. Still a P.I.A.

But thanks.    :beerchug:

I know what you mean.
Putting fuel in my C14 is a P.I.A. as well.
Someday, all these problems will go away.  ;)