• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ride up Mt. Washington, NH

I've been up twice on a motorcycle, two up both times. First time on a C10 and the second time on a Gold Wing. The Gold Wing started to over heat as I got caught behind a car doing 20-25mph the whole way up. The GW radiator is side mounted so it was not getting enough air flow. Had to stop about 2/3s of the way up to let it cool off.

We tried to go up it last year while in the New England states before the Nationals. It was closed to motorcycles though, they said some of it had been freshly graded & was to soft for motorcycles.  :mad:  We didn't want to hang around for a hour or 2 until they deemed it passable.

Rode that when the northeast held the green mt national.  Sucks being behind a car going up, but man the view from the top that day was wonderful.  Worth all the effort those switchbacks threw at u.  And while im speaking of switchbacks, those few the get you up to the top of mt nebo in dardanelle Arkansas are just as gnarly...

Sorry cliff cant help talking up Arkansas...

konehead said:
  Worth all the effort those switchbacks threw at u.  And while im speaking of switchbacks, those few the get you up to the top of mt nebo in dardanelle Arkansas are just as gnarly...

Sorry cliff cant help talking up Arkansas...

Couldn't even tell you the last time I've been to Mt. Nebo, but it's been many years though. I avoid riding south of I-40, pretty flat & uneventful.

Hit me up next time you're here, I'll try to remember some of the good roads. There all between me & Missouri though.  :motonoises:

Last time I was up I road in a cloud 3/4's of the time. By the time I got
to the top I was soaked, couldn't see a thing. Even thou whey say not
to coast down I did, C-10 doesn't have power steering or brakes. I figured
that was for cars. If you can make it on a clear day the view is indescribable.

Lived in the Mount Washington valley for 3 years and never took the bike up.
Twice in car but only once with a decent view.
Wife is from New Hampshire and used to brag on the old rockpile being tall until we found Mount Mitchell in NC which is taller. Mount Washington still has the highest recorded wind speed though.