• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Riding in 'Free Bike Wash'

Brett0769

Street Cruiser
Okay, we've finally gotten a little rain here in the SE, which is good though I have to admit we've been getting great riding weather all summer long. I was riding on US 52 to work in the rain the day before yesterday when I went through a puddle. It's the first time I've ever actually hit one because I try to dodge them whenever I can. The result was a shocking feeling as the water sprayed both of my feet with a little bit of force and the rubber edging on my fairing near the bottom was knocked loose. So, to those of you with much riding experience, is there anything I should look for on the bike after it being sprayed like that? Also, please offer any and all tips and tricks for safe riding in wet weather. Thanks!

I've gotten caught in some torrential rain and never experienced any issues with the bike or parts coming loose. As for tips for riding in the rain... It may be wise to avoid riding during the first part of a rainstorm because road surfaces are slickest then because oil and dirt combine with water. Use the tire tracks left by other vehicles if surface conditions permit to help prevent hydroplaning. Avoid abrupt changes in speed or direction. Reduce speed to create a margin of safety. Minimize lean. Metal covers, bridge gratings, train tracks, painted/taped lines, leaves, and wood can be very treacherous when wet. -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

What Steve said. I too have never had any issues with the bike when riding in the rain; sometimes heavy rain. If it gets really bad I pull over to get shelter and let it pass. Putting the hazards on helps people see you especially when its raining pretty hard. Funny how people at work are amazed that I bring the bike in even though it is going to rain later. That's why we have rain gear folks! Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250

Be really careful riding through puddles as you can hydroplane with the resultant loss of control. I'm surprised that it knocked the trim loose. Are you sure it was on tight to start with? There's really not anything you need to specifically check after a rain ride that you wouldn't check after a dry ride. Being shaft drive, you don't have to re-lube the drive. Riding in the rain is NOT the time to be wearing dark clothing. Neon Yellow (the brighter the better) would be my choice. Making yourself as visible as possible and riding even more defensively will reduce your need to demonstrate your superior ability to avoid brain-dead cagers. Also, never be afraid to SLOW DOWN.

OK, great suggestions from the other guys. Don't have much to add, but here's a few thoughts: - I Rain-X my face shield on the outside and use anti-fog on the inside - I keep rain gear in one side bag, w/tank bag cover, at all times, as I commute daily. - If your windshield has a duct, keep a piece of foam pipe insulation handy to stuff in it. - A soft finger squeegee or such on your glove is helpful for the face shield, but usually the Rain-X does the trick pretty well. - Keep an eye on tire tread depth if you plan on riding in the rain regularly- I think this more than anything else affects how likely it is that you will hydroplane. Has only happened a couple (brief) times to me. - in heavy weather (T-storms) I hit the flashers and stay in the right lane while visibility is really bad. - in day-long soakers, heated grips and vest can really make a bad day better. Gore-Tex boots and rain gear definitely a plus. - Have never had any sort of mechanical issues with the bike due to rain, freezing rain or even snow, so don't sweat that too much- just keep up on the regular maintenance and do your inspections/walk-arounds. If you add switches to your fairing panels or shroud, slather the contacts w/dielectric grease to help protect. Sorry to ramble, just coming off the top of my head... :p Steve K. '02 Concours COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'

...not much to add to these good tips. My edging also gits loose when hittin a bigun. Ya may've lost the lil plastique retainers that go on the ends. You'll be surprised how DRY ya stay with that superior Conc weather protection. Jest don't slow down TOO much! ;p 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh Over the Pond 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
y6xlq5.jpg
yrf2z1.jpg
yr5ihh.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

I had a crack show up in a oil cooler. I blame it on riding in 90+ temps and then hitting low water crossing here in Texas that sprays the front with cool water all of a sudden. That cracked the cooler just under the right banjo bolt since that is the hot input side. I still have it happen from time to time because we just love low water crossings down here?? But no other coolers have cracked so far. PS: Use of a fender extender makes your feet get wetter then without it. The extender splashes the water further out and it comes in the holes in the fairing right at your feet. ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

I did lose the little plastic doohickies on the ends. I bet they're $800 apiece from Kawasaki, but I'll check anyway. :) What do you (Steve K) and anyone else use for anti-fogging your face shield? I've been considering one of those silicon patch things, but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet because I don't feel comfortable that I know enough yet. Does anybody use the polishing it with dish soap full time? Winter's on it's way so it's time to get the fogging problem solved. Also, Rain-X has prominent warnings about it being used only on glass. Have you had any problems with it fogging your shield, cracking it or the like? Does it work as well as it does on glass? I'd love to use it, but I've been afraid it would mar my shield. Up to this point I've just been using the 'tilt my head down for a sec at speed' method of clearing the shield.

I've heard that "Rain-X" will Yellow the windscreen. Don't know about the visor, but if it discolors the windshield, stands to reason it would effect the face shield on the helmet too. 1990 Aint she a pretty Tomato (the bike ofcourse) wedshots albums http://community.webshots.com/user/sawfiler64/albums/most-recent

this heer is the tickee fer yer clear plastique... http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&Product_ID=330 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh Over the Pond 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
y6xlq5.jpg
yrf2z1.jpg
yr5ihh.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

What do you use for anti-fogging your face shield?
http://www.motosolutions.com/fogtech.html they also make a water repellent -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Re: using dish soap as a defog. Scuba divers use this process all the time. Keeping the inside scrupuliously clean is a big help as it removes the particles that the water condenses around. I wear a Nolan helmet and it has afog shield that fits around a couple of pins on the inside of the shield. Works great!

Never had any issues with Rain-X on my HJC face shields whatsoever. Even used it on the OEM windshield for a couple years, but never on my Cee Bailey's. Wonder if that stuff Paulie's pushin' ;p is safe for aircraft acrylic- that's what the CB is made of iirc. I've tried a few defoggers (don't have too much call to use the stuff around here) but they mostly seem to make the fogging just less bad, not really prevent it entirely. Steve K. '02 Concours COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'