• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Riding In Thailand

smeg1951

Eight years ago my wife and I went to Thailand and rode on 2 three day motorcycle rides out of Chiang Mai in northern Thailand. It was wonderful. I highly recommend. Over there traffic does not seem to have many rules so you have to be constantly vigilant.

We went with Big Bike Tours (bigbiketours.com) and the tour leaders where great. We combined the tours with travel around Thailand on our own. Thailand is very scenic and the people friendly. I recommend Rick Steves’ book (ricksteves.com).

A funny story. Rick Steves pointed out that in Bangkok there are scammers that try to get you to take a tuk-tuk to somewhere else by telling you that the temple is closed. There is a sign in English at the entrance to the main temple that says “Beware of the Wiley Stranger who will tell you the temple is closed” Sure enough, when we arrived, there was a middle aged well dressed man that tried the scheme of us. We met the Wiley Stranger!

Last edited:
My son is a professor in Bangkok that goes up to Chang Mai...initially on a project with the educational systems in Thailand but now he goes up for rest and relaxation. He rented a small bike up there and sent videos that are pretty amazing. Helmet but no gear and those mountain roads got me to send him several articles on bike safety.

THanks for posting. I am going to check out the tours to see if it is possible to get a visit in before he comes home to start Doctoral Studies.