• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rough shifting Goldwing

ron203

Southeast Area Director
Hey y'all. I test rode a 2008 Goldwing w/27,000 miles today and was SHOCKED at how roughly it shifted (and noisily) and what seemed like some transmission noise coming up the steering head opening. Is this typical? Of course the dealer people said, "Oh sure, they ALL do that..."

But I'll tell you one thing, that C-14 sure felt silky (and FAST) on the way home. :motonoises:

Thanks,
Ron

No, they don't "all do that."  I've had 2 (a 2002 & a 2012). Both shift smoothly and quietly. I'd stay away from that dealer.

Most times people think there is something horribly wrong with the transmission when it is difficult to move between gears and clunks. Some will actually lubricate the shift lever and find the transmission magically transformed. I agree about staying away from that dealer; especially if customers are allowed to test a bike that just might have a sticky shifter.

In all honesty, they didn't seem to think anything was wrong with the bike.

Our 16 Wing shifted smooth like butter, it seemed to me more like a car shift.  :??: