• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

S.E. Mich Mid-August 16th R-t-E ..... It's a go!

DeansZG

thinkin' about havin' a R-t-E over on Harsen's Island at the School House Grille: http://www.harsensislandschoolhousegrille.com/#!menus

nice little auto ferry ride across the channel to get there ..... anyone game???

saturday, August 16th....  meet AT the restaurant around 12:30 / 12:45....  there's also a SMALL museum of the island we could visit

post up...let me know.....

No rain date.....  just get some use outta your rain gear!

smooth_operator said:
got a wedding that day Dean, but I'm off the 15-29 in August if anyone wants to plan something.

Well.....that's why I'm throwing it out here.... the 16th or the 23rd would work ok as well...  actually, the 16th might work out better for me anyway... :-[

I'm good for either the 16th or 23rd.

I say make it the 16th, but Dean you call it. 

We'll make it an official SE-MI event, whatever 'official' means!

If the gang of car guys don't drag me along to the drag strip that day it sounds good to me! Haven't been over to the island in years. :great:

I wish hi didn't have plans already for that afternoon since it sounds like fun especially since I've never been there.

Hi:

I'm the aforementioned new guy. I am planning to make it as the first leg of my first multi-day motorcycle trip. Looking forward to it.

Matt

I'm not sure I can make it.

In case things change, does anyone have any suggestions on a good route to take from the Lansing area over to Harsen's Island?

I don't know the roads in that part of the state, and there's a whole lotta city and suburbs there. I don't mind taking freeways for some of the trip, but would strongly prefer to avoid non-freeway routes through places like Pontiac, Farmington, Southfield, Warren, Troy, Bloomfield, Birmingham, etc...

It looks like I can take I-69 through Flint, then head south-east to the island at some point. It's a lot of freeway, but I don't know any alternatives.

Comments?

I am planning to take I-69 all the way to Port Huron on the 'coast' and venture south along 25 down to the island.

Heads up - Come on out this Saturday.  I have some giveaways we'll have drawings for.  Some gift certificates to the COG Online store and some other stuff. 

So get yourself there and throw your name in the hat.

Motor ter vated, motor ter vated, I can't seat still!!!
(maybe too much coffee)
I am planing on being there.

For anyone that would like to join, I will be at Morrish Road exit in Swartz Creek (Exit 128) at the Meijer gas station at 10am, gassed and ready to go.

It will take ~ 2 hours to get to the island from there.

Route will be I69 E and will head south to the island probably at Wales Center Road (exit 189).

On the way back will probably grab 29 North through Marine City and ride along the St. Claire River until somewhere near Marysville / Port Huron, or maybe take back roads.

If you plan to meet there let me know and we'll watch out for you.

Stasch said:
For anyone that would like to join, I will be at Morrish Road exit in Swartz Creek (Exit 128) at the Meijer gas station at 10am, gassed and ready to go.

Route will be I69 E and will head south to the island probably at Wales Center Road (exit 189).

On the way back will probably grab 29 North through Marine City and ride along the St. Claire River until somewhere near Marysville / Port Huron, or maybe take back roads.

Hmmm, that doesn't add many miles for me, and avoids a trip through Metro Detroit. At this point, count me in.

Matt

I am in.
Simba

Stasch said:

Some info on the COG store gift certificates to be given out in a drawing. 

Just read through them and you need to be a paid up COG member with valid member number to win them and use them.

I'll also have some other MC / COG related this and that to include.

For those meeting at Morrish Road / I69 in Flint - the route from there will change a bit - forgot about construction from Flint out to M15. 

See you there.

One more thing about meeting in the Flint area.

As timing would have it, this is the weekend for the Flint Back to the Bricks cruise.

They are expecting 40,000 show vehicles and 600,000 people to come see.

You'll want to give Flint a wide berth, don't try to come through it.  I may change our meeting spot, have to study the map a bit - stay tuned.

Let me know what you come up with Stan!  I'm in!

Have you considered maybe, hmmm, heading south towards Fenton and maybe East from there?  :D

Stasch said:
One more thing about meeting in the Flint area.

As timing would have it, this is the weekend for the Flint Back to the Bricks cruise.

They are expecting 40,000 show vehicles and 600,000 people to come see.

You'll want to give Flint a wide berth, don't try to come through it.  I may change our meeting spot, have to study the map a bit - stay tuned.

I was thinking about it...wouldn't the best shot be to stay on I-69 though Flint. Might have traffic, but it won't be stopped like (apparently) every other place between Flint and Detroit (Woodward Dream Cruise).

Thoughts?

Matt

It would be.. but it's tore up from construction all the way to M-15 and there can be some big tire-eating potholes in it, lane closures, and they are supposed to be tearing apart the Irish road exit any day to fix the stink left behind by the burning tanker truck.   

Matt said:
I was thinking about it...wouldn't the best shot be to stay on I-69 though Flint. Might have traffic, but it won't be stopped like (apparently) every other place between Flint and Detroit (Woodward Dream Cruise).

Thoughts?

Matt

Here's the final intended route from Morrish Road exit - subject to change if conditions dictate otherwise in real time.

Going to take I-69 east from there, possibly stopping at a second meeting point at M-15 and I-69 in Davison. 

There's a One Stop Food Shop / gas station on M-15 and Lippincott, South of I-69 1/4 mile.  (Talcon - this is for you!)

From there I-69E until just about due north of the island, then south through some back roads to the ferry.

Possible concerns are that I-69 already has construction underway between Flint and M-15, as well as possible traffic clogs due to the Back to the Bricks event.  We'll play it by ear.

See you at Morrish Road at 10a, or at M-15 and I-69 at 10:20 - 10:30a

talcon said:
It would be.. but it's tore up from construction all the way to M-15 and there can be some big tire-eating potholes in it, lane closures, and they are supposed to be tearing apart the Irish road exit any day to fix the stink left behind by the burning tanker truck.   

Matt said:

Thoughts?

Matt

Michigan - You Can't Get There from Here

On Tuesday, I travelled along I-69 on the stretch in question.  Its down to 2 lanes from 3, but very doable.  It'll be Saturday so the volume should be lighter than normal.

At that point Irish road bridge was still open.  I think we'll be fine.

One route that looks do-able w/out slabbing it thru the Flint jungle( from the google sat view anyway ) is to:
[list type=decimal]
[*] hook up w/ Grand Blanc rd. & head east to Saginaw Rd.
[*] turn right(south) on Saginaw to Perry Rd.
[*] turn left(east) on Perry to S.State Rd.(M15)
[*] turn left(north) on S.State Rd. to Hill Rd.
[*] turn right(east) on Hill (changes to Pratt Rd.(also M62) after curve)
[*] continue to Lapeer Rd. ( M24)
[*] turn right(south) on Lapeer to Dryden Rd.( M62) 
[*] turn left(east) on Dryden to Capac Rd.
[*] turn left(north) on Capac to Belle River Rd.
[*] turn right(east) on B.R. to Bordman Rd.(village of Memphis)
[*] turn left(east) on Bordman to Stoddard Rd.
[*] turn right(south) on Stoddard to Dolan Rd.
[*] turn left(east) on Dolan Rd. (turns into Rattle Run)
[*] continue on Rattle Run into St. Clair(road changes to Clinton Ave)
[*] continue straight to S Riverside Ave
[*] turn right(south) on S Riverside Ave(M29)
[*] follow M29 south about 15 miles (thru Marine City) to turn off for the ferry
[/list]

You should be okay - but please pay particular attention to the potholes in between the lanes.  I saw one this morning that would swallow a front motorcycle tire easily.  It was right by exit 136 - the one you take from 69 east to downtown flint just before the I-475 exit.

Stasch said:
On Tuesday, I travelled along I-69 on the stretch in question.  Its down to 2 lanes from 3, but very doable.  It'll be Saturday so the volume should be lighter than normal.

At that point Irish road bridge was still open.  I think we'll be fine.

Sorry we couldn't make it today but we had two family emergencies, this morning our oldest son and his wife were t-boned just outside the gate of Selfridge on their way to do guard duty. They are ok. Along with my mother in-law needing help after having her middle figure was bit off a couple days ago by a dog, what a bite! lol
Don't look if you have a weak stomach!  :-\  So nobody give me no shit about not being there lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20140809_231925_252-1-1.jpg
    IMG_20140809_231925_252-1-1.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG951815.jpg
    IMG951815.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 89
So anybody want to ride tomorrow? Maybe go the cheeseburger festival in Caseville seeing as I didn't get out today?

Jim,
      Sorry to hear about the family issues... :(  Glad the son & D.I.L. were not hurt!  Did your M.I.L. lose the finger or were they able to re-attach it?  Looks to be the middle finger too...
    We'll see you at the next gathering....

DeansZG said:

Jim,
      Sorry to hear about the family issues... :(  Glad the son & D.I.L. were not hurt!  Did your M.I.L. lose the finger or were they able to re-attach it?  Looks to be the middle finger too...
    We'll see you at the next gathering....
Yes the Doc saved the finger, they clamped pins to the outside for the next eight weeks.
I hope everybody had a great time and missed the rain that went through.
Hope to see you all next time!

I hope all of you got home safe.
That was a lot of fun.
I will post pictures soon.
Imu/Simba

p.s Hey Turbojim, is the dog OK and is he available for a 'job'.  I am a married Man and need some help. >:D

Here are a few pics.

waiting for the ferry at Harsens Island.

on the ferry

great lunch and superb company.

and more.
Simba

what happened to the rest of the Sunoco Gas Station?

fearless leader who only got us lost a few times.  Okay, it was more than a few times!

Oh Yeah, Simba had a good time.

Randy--always late to the party.

Imu, who you calling old?  :D

I enjoyed seeing everyone and meeting a couple new faces from Canada I hadn't met before, Ed and Mike.  We ate good food and told lies.  Some of us rode the perimeter of the island as far as we could go in both directions.  Its an interesting place.  Great place to meet - thanks Dean for setting it up.

We can truthfully say we had an International Event that thankfully was not an International Incident.

No one fell over on the ferry rides and it seems all returned home safe.

8 riders showed up.  Dean, Randy, Mike, Richard, Imu, myself, Ed, and Matt.

Matt, Randy and Ed - your COG BUCKS certificate info has been sent to COG to be registered.  I'm told the credit can take up to 3 weeks to show up on your cog-online profile.  Happy shopping.

Rumor has it that Imu (Simba) is going to chrome the sidestand puck to use with his KLR.

Jim, no grief from me.  Hope your mother in law heals up fine.  Guys were asking if you were coming and you were missed. 

Hope to see everyone in Stockbridge September 21.

It was a good thing it was not a sunny day. I would have been blinded following Simba.
That is one shinny bike. It really needs some dirt to fit in properly.
Good lunch, good people, good times, what more is to ask for.
Thanks guys.

RWulf said:
It was a good thing it was not a sunny day. I would have been blinded following Simba.
That is one shinny bike. It really needs some dirt to fit in properly.
Good lunch, good people, good times, what more is to ask for.
Thanks guys.

who you calling shiny?  Thanks Randy/Stan for the pic.
RWulf--I had a great time also.
Imu/Simba

Ya Simba you show a picture that only shows the chrome engine guards.
Show the bike sideways in the sun. Ha Ha

Thanks to all for the event. I had a lot of fun. Sorry I bugged out early...had some family commitments I wanted to get to.

Matt