• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sat. June 15th Bucks County Covered Bridge ride

motonerd14

Street Cruiser
Greetings!

Just posted this up on the calendar: http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=187589&mo=6&tDate={d%20%272013-06-04%27}

Route is here: http://goo.gl/maps/fVwXf

Going to be doing a nice, scenic 44 mile route through Bucks County. Total ride time is ~2 hours of some of the most beautiful country roads in the Northeast. We're going to stop at 6 covered bridges, and will have lunch at the Homestead Café in Upper Black Eddy.

Meetup is 9:30 at the Yardley Park and Ride. Stands up at 10am.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!  :)

Come'on folks! Bucks County roads are beautiful, a step back in history. You'll be traveling on some of the roads that once were the
paths of George Washington, Lafayette, and William Penn. Passing on your journey will be two mansions that were Washington's headquarters,
not at the same time of course, but that's another subject. Covered bridges that were built from the 17 and 1800's are along your path,
with a rustic, country lunch stop that will not disappoint. Wish I could ride with you all, but I'm working on meeting the group for lunch,
would be great to see some of you all again, and meeting newbies to the ride!
Jim

Looking forward to seeing you there, Jim!

Just a quick update on this as well, I've updated the route to include a stop at Van Sant airport, and also changed part of the route to account for some road construction. Of note, Point Pleasant Pike is now a two-way road, and quite nice to ride on!

Here is the new route: http://goo.gl/maps/HifQI

For those of you that don't understand why there's a stop at Van Sant airport, it's a sport bike hangout. It's located
in the middle of Bucks Counties finest 2 lane, twisty roads that test all levels. Now, you really need to know these
roads prior to burning them up, they all have their quirks, and a rare gravel patch, so follow your leader! Just a great,
tree-lined ride which I've always enjoyed.
There's only a day left, and nobody has shown interest!?! Probably because of Fathers day weekend, but the weather
is going to be great!

Tis a good ride...

That being said, I am committed already to a couple of things on Sat. Got a Luncheon at noon and a R/C Meet afterwards.

Next time, though.

I would have definitely returned for another Bucks County Covered Bridge ride . . . . but I've got an asylum to visit,
Trans_Allegheny_Lunatic_Asylum_by_amulet_spade_miki.jpg

a June blizzard
snow2.gif
in West Virginia?!?  to deal with

and http://youtu.be/2Q9EHir6uzs
a ferry to Ohio to ride over the next two days.

COG-528 said:
[size=11pt]I would have definitely returned for another Bucks County Covered Bridge ride . . . . but I've got an asylum to visit
<snip>

:41:    Please excuse me here Mike. But what was the point of this post? If your not going, there really isn't much of a reason to comment. Be that as it may, I can understand that there are times that you may want to convey that you can't make it because you have other commitments or such. Or maybe you can't make it but this is a great ride. But instead, this post you made is another example of total unnecessary BS in your posts.
    It looks like a "Hey, look at me" post. Or worse yet, an endorsement of another possibly competing event that your trying to sway members against this one. Either way it's another prime example of your posting on twelve cylinders when only six cylinders is needed (if that). Why must you always feel it necessary to post all this irrelevant images, photo's and direct links to anything and everything you post? And I apologize, but this really irks me that everything you post has to be a circus event when it can just be a simple post.
    Although no post is necessary to say you will not be participating. But to be fair, if you feel a need to post that: Well, "I have to work", "have other obligations", etc. more than suffice. We (or at least others that have commented to me, and I) do not need or care to get these ridiculous itineraries of Mike's little world each time you post. Rant off and again, an apology. But I just can't stand it any more. Especially in this post, when it looks like your trying to sway people away from this ride.

I too would have liked to participate in this ride and have been trying to go on this ride the last few years that Jim had been hosting it. But unfortunately, again I have other commitments that will prevent my participation. I hope everyone has a great ride. { See how that's done? }  ;)

Cap'n Bob said:
COG-528 said:
[size=11pt]I would have definitely returned for another Bucks County Covered Bridge ride . . . . but I've got an asylum to visit
<snip>

:41:    Please excuse me here Mike. But what was the point of this post? If your not going, there really isn't much of a reason to comment. Be that as it may, I can understand that there are times that you may want to convey that you can't make it because you have other commitments or such. Or maybe you can't make it but this is a great ride. But instead, this post you made is another example of total unnecessary BS in your posts.
    It looks like a "Hey, look at me" post. Or worse yet, an endorsement of another possibly competing event that your trying to sway members against this one. Either way it's another prime example of your posting on twelve cylinders when only six cylinders is needed (if that). Why must you always feel it necessary to post all this irrelevant images, photo's and direct links to anything and everything you post? And I apologize, but this really irks me that everything you post has to be a circus event when it can just be a simple post.
    Although no post is necessary to say you will not be participating. But to be fair, if you feel a need to post that: Well, "I have to work", "have other obligations", etc. more than suffice. We (or at least others that have commented to me, and I) do not need or care to get these ridiculous itineraries of Mike's little world each time you post. Rant off and again, an apology. But I just can't stand it any more. Especially in this post, when it looks like your trying to sway people away from this ride.

I too would have liked to participate in this ride and have been trying to go on this ride the last few years that Jim had been hosting it. But unfortunately, again I have other commitments that will prevent my participation. I hope everyone has a great ride. { See how that's done? }  ;)

Are you being serious about having a problem with his post?

If so you need to lighten up not everything needs to be policed on this board to the nth degree.

Cap'n Bob said:
COG-528 said:
<snip>

::picks jaw, and self, up off the floor::

Wow. I know Mike has an *interesting* way of putting things, and I appreciate you expressing your feelings about his posts, but ahh, well, I don't see him trying to dissuade others from coming out for my ride.

Sounds like you two might want to have a private session on this, since this thread was about going to see covered bridges! (To all the other folks watching this, they really are quite lovely. There's one in particular that I'm quite fond of, and will post pics of once we do the ride.)

Let's all be nice, eh? One love! Peace and happiness to all!

Brass said:
Are you being serious about having a problem with his post?

If so you need to lighten up not everything needs to be policed on this board to the nth degree.

Not policing. Just an observation as a forum member after many years of reading a person post basically this same type of post (slide show, infomercial or a host of other names) on just about every subject (as a just another poster). So I made a comment.  If I felt it broke a forum rule, I would have acted differently and you probably would not be reading any of this. But yes I was serious. After a while I get tired of being at the circus watching the same act over and over. If you can't come fine. But I do not need an itinerary, picture and/or link (or many combinations of) to every single subject posted in. And I spoke up because I felt this time it kind of stepped on this threads event, and was totally unnecessary.

And my apologies to Jim and Chris. Sometimes I need to vent. I hope the ride goes off well.

Got to agree with Capt Bob. Seems the same old same old type postings in response to some event. Instead of a "Can't make it, got stuff to do", we get a full blown BS add about an asylum and a ferry boat. Just WTF do they have to do with the event as planned? That is where you are going? Good, go there as no one on the Bridges ride will miss you.
It is done ALL the time and many notice it but don't say anything about it. If you can't make the event, dot post some other items or just a short "can't make it"......

I also have some brochures with more details about the history and the locations of the bridges. Will bring them along for the ride as well. Going to snag a box of them the next chance I can so I can give them out on future runs of this ride.

Seems the only person who signed up just dropped out. So...I'm going to show up tomorrow to the park and ride, at the designated time, weather permitting, and have a nice ride. All are welcome to attend, and I do think that you all owe it to yourselves to come and experience the very best that this region has to offer.

That being said, I would like to emphasise a point here, since I do not think it is done often, or enough:

If yon's have personal issues with each other, or with how someone posts, and so on, please, for the love of all that is good and lovely, take it OUTSIDE.

This is a thread about riding around covered bridges. Not for personal disagreements and battles of strong personalities. Be adults, please.

(Says the youngest person here...)

voileauciel said:
Seems the only person who signed up just dropped out. So...I'm going to show up tomorrow to the park and ride, at the designated time, weather permitting, and have a nice ride. All are welcome to attend, and I do think that you all owe it to yourselves to come and experience the very best that this region has to offer.

Stop over for breakfast first my good friend, and get off to a good start!! See you at 10:05..

Just got pulled into on-call status for work. Going to leave it up on the calendar in the event that anyone wants to ride that route.

Jim, I'll swing by for breakfast but will need to have my work phone with me. I don't foresee any calls coming in, since I'm the backup, but still need to stay somewhat close to home am probably going to do the route, since who I'm backing up for was finally woken up and advised that he's on call.  :s_laugh:

Maybe someone will show up after all...  :73:

voileauciel, when you have been around long enough to see the same crap over and over from the same person, it gets a little old..........................

Jerry Gowen said:
voileauciel, when you have been around long enough to see the same crap over and over from the same person, it gets a little old..........................

Chris was not aware that Mike had his own agenda for this weekend, and was plugging it on Chris's ride post. I think that this can be discussed
and resolved during a Northeast officers meeting, then possibly adapted site wide. No good can come from beating it to death here, we just
need to learn from this and move forward.

Walker, like I said, if Chris had been around for a while, he would have know what people were complaining about. Seems it is better to tell the complainers to lighten up than it is to tell the person creating the problem that they should cut the crap out. Guess it is another example of the "Appeasement Mentality" that seems to have infected this country. My last words on it.

Jerry Gowen said:
Walker, like I said, if Chris had been around for a while, he would have know what people were complaining about. Seems it is better to tell the complainers to lighten up than it is to tell the person creating the problem that they should cut the crap out. Guess it is another example of the "Appeasement Mentality" that seems to have infected this country. My last words on it.

Apparently you misread me Jerry. I have not bent over and said 'thanks, give me another'. I fully intend to address this type of hijack to the folks who can
DO something about it, and not just bitch about it. 'Nuff said.

They saying goes, "Any publicity is good publicity".  My post may not have been politically correct, but it did serve the intended purpose . . . to bump this thread to the top of the thread list so that someone who might have forgotten or was not aware of this event could participate.  It also indirectly pointed out that June is a very busy month when it comes to motorcycle activity and it is hard for a one day event that was not announced well in advance to get people to include it in their limited, motorcycling, free time. 

Most people have so much going on in June that they have to plan what motorcycling activities they will participate in well in advance.  Every weekend this month has one or more COG activities, plus there are the non-COG activities, Americade, Laconia and local club rides.  Then there are the non-motorcycling activities that also put a demand on people's free time in June, graduations and weddings.  A small one day event with a late announce is easily lost in the shuffle and what I did and the follow up reaction certainly kept the thread for this event at the top of the thread list so forum readers would notice it.  I've hosted plenty of events that suffered from lack of attendance due to competing demands for people's time so I know how frustrating that is.

COG-528 said:
They saying goes, "Any publicity is good publicity".  My post may not have been politically correct, but it did serve the intended purpose . . . to bump this thread to the top of the thread list so that someone who might have forgotten or was not aware of this event could participate.  It also indirectly pointed out that June is a very busy month when it comes to motorcycle activity and it is hard for a one day event that was not announced well in advance to get people to include it in their limited, motorcycling, free time. 

I think the organizers of the ride have done a fine job keeping the thread informative and up to date, as needed.  No need for anyone to drag the thread off topic and create controversy to serve an ulterior motive and then justify it as doing it for the greater good.  :-[  Just my $0.02