• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Seat Comfort!

dgenge

Big Wheel
Anyone, I am strongly considering the purchase of a new 2010 C14 ABS. I might have a few questions in the coming months as I make up my mind. I currently own a 2005 1600 Nomad and have always had cruisers and never once driven a sport bike. Question 1: How is the stock seat as far as comfort goes, do we get numb butt after an hour like any other seat? Local Dealer has a 09 and seat seamed pretty cushy! Input would be greatly appreciated... Darren

Howdy, I have an '09. The first month I had her I took her down to the Blue Ridge Parkway. My butt and inner thighs killed me all the way down and back. The stock seat puts all your weight on your inner thighs which I think gets even worse with handle bar set backs. I now have a Sargent World Sport Performance seat and love it. Now my weight is on the cheeks of my butt, no more rash! Later, Norm

IMO- The stock seat is junk. It's cushion brakes down in a short time and makes you feel like your sitting on the frame rails. I personally went with a Corbin heated seat. It's very firm, but night and day better than the stock seat. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2638311280103513287fDmUTZ_th.jpg

I have an 09 and I'm good for about 2 hours. I'm using the Alaska sheepskin pad, it helps alot more than stock, but I have not had a chance to do a long haul yet. I fugure the seat is going to be an expensive experiment, and it may still not be right. Good luck. Keith

I have an 09 and the seat works fairly well for me. I alos had a Nomad (2000) and it had a good seat. Once you twist the right handle you'll forget the seat and the Nomad! UP

I also have the Corbin Heated seats for my '08 Concourse. It is MUCH better than the stock seat. As stated earlier it is firm and will cause you to sit back and a little lower than the stock seat. I've put heli-bar risers on to help bring the handlebars back a little closer. The result has been a much improved seating position for me. I'm 6' tall with fairly long arms if that helps.....

Consensus on most Concours forums is that the stock seat is good as far as stock seats go but not adequate for extended hours in the saddle. Best option is an after-market seat- Corbin, Russell and Sargent are three of the most popular manufacturerers. Seat is the same for the 08', 09' and 10' C14. I have an 08', by the way. If budget is a consideration, many have used Spencer's Seat Mods (out of Jupiter Florida I believe)Spencer replaces the stock foam and can re-shape the rider or pillon seat-or both. Cost is under $100.00 and I have heard nothing but good things about his work- much improved comfort, quich turn-around (about 1 week) and as stated, reasonable price.He has a web site. Third option, and the one I currently use, is an Alaska Leather wool seat pad, bicycling shorts (no seams) and liberal doses of Monkey Butt Powder. I will be sending my seat to Spencer in the near future. Hope this is helpful GatorLarry Fort Lauderdale TextText

I HAVE TRIED ALL THE SEATS LISTED HERE AND NONE REALLY WORKED FOR ME. I ALLSO TRIED SPENCER. AFTER TRYING ONE LAST DITCH TRY I FINALY TRIED A RUSSEL DAY LONG SADDLE FOR THE C14. GOT ON BOARD AND DROVE FOR 15 HOURS STOPPING FOR NOTHING BUT GAS. 4 TANK UP'S. DID A LITTLE OVER 700 MILES AND COULD HAVE GONE EVEN FURTHER. IT IS EXPENSEIVE ($515.OO) BUT NOW I KNOW I WILL KEEP THE BIKE. THE SEAT MADE ALL THE DIFFERANCE. SILVER DRAGON

Have you ridden with the Corbin seat? Sounds like you have. Do you really think that the Russell is far supperior to the the Corbin? I have a Corbin and it was so much better than the stock seat. I would like something that is not quite as firm. Any comments?

YES I DO STILL HAVE A CORBIN SEAT. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT THIS DOES NOT MAKE ME AN EXPERT. BUT I PRESENTELY HAVE FOUR (4) COMPLETE SEATS. THEY ARE AS FOLLOWS: THE ORIGINAL FACTORY SEAT. SEAT TWO IS THE ORIGINAL FACTORY SEAT MODIFIED AND CUSTOMIZED BY SPENCER IN FLORIDA. SEAT THREE (3) IS CORBIN. SEAT(4) IS RUSSEL DAY LONG SADDLE. THE FOLLING IS ONLY MY REFELICITIONS: ORIGIONAL SEAT COULD NOT SPEND MORE THAN 45 MIN. BEFOR I FELT PAIN AND BURNING PLUS SWEATING, EVEN IN COOLDER WEATHER. SEAT 2 SPENCER ABOUT AN HOUR BEFOR I FELT THE SAME ONY ABOUT 15 MIN. EXTENSION. SEAT 3 CORBIN I COULD SEAT ABOUT A HOUR BUT WAS LIKE SEATING ON A SLAB OF MARBLE, NOT SOFT ENOUGH. SEAT 4 RUSSEL DAY LONG SADDLE, FIRST RODE IT FOR 3 HOURS AND COULD NOT BELIEVE IT, PLUS THEY SAID THAT IT WOULD TAKE ABOUT 700 MILES TO BREAK IN. NEXT TIME I SAT ON IT FOR 15 HOURS STRIGHT NOT STOPING FOR ANYTHANG BUT GAS. ARRIVED AT DESTENATION AND COULD HAVE RIDDEN MORE. I WAS AMAZED. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY MOTORCYCLE SEAT MAKE ME FEEL LIKE THAT BEFORE. I HAD TO GET THE BIKE LOWERED WHICH I DID WITH REAR LINKS AND AFTER DOING THAT I DID THE RUSSEL MODE TO THE SEAT AND IT BROUGHT IT BACK UP AN INCH. THOUGH I WILL HAVE THE HIGHT ISSUE AGAIN BECAUSE OF THE SADDLE, IT IS STAYING ON. I WILL LEARN TO RIDE THIS BIKE WITH THIS SADDLE. WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY OF THE $515.00 I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WILL BE MY LAST BIKE OR NOT BUT I CAN TELL YOU IF IT IS NOT, I WILL NOT OWEN ANOTHER BIKE WITH OUT A CUSTOM SADDLE FOR THEM. SENCERLY SILVER DRAGON AGE 63

I agree to most, the seat is about as good as a seat gets as far as stock seats go. It pushes you forward to the tank until it breaks in. I thought for sure I was getting an aftermarket seat but after about 5000 miles, either I got used to it or it got used to me! I now have 14000 miles on her. I ride about an hour one way to work. I rode about 100 miles to Run with the Wolf rally and about 170 miles to the COG Nationals in Fontana and it seemed fine.

YES I DO STILL HAVE A CORBIN SEAT. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT THIS DOES NOT MAKE ME AN EXPERT. BUT I PRESENTELY HAVE FOUR (4) COMPLETE SEATS.
Well, IMHO that certainly makes you more expert than most! :) Steve K. '02 Concours 'Locomotive Breath' COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'
2822107220014238429Coipiz_th.jpg
2901812650014238429UfVKJm_th.jpg

I ordered a Corbin but it has not arrived yet. The stock seat is fair but there is not much scoot around room. I would like more scoot back room cause I have long arms and legs. The wife also says that she slides forward and is continually having to push back. My question for you is this. Does the Corbin let me slide back more? Does it slant pushing you into the tank? Will the wife slide forward? IF you could answer any of these it would be great! I had a Corbin on my 06 Concours and loved it! UP

IF YOU HAVE HAD A CORBIN BEFORE AND LIKED IT YOU WILL MOST PROB/BE HAPPY WITH THE ONE COMING IN. I REALY CAN'T ANSWER YOUR QUESTION ABOUT IT SLIDING YOU FOWARD BECAUSE I HAVE TO SIT AS FAR FOWARD AS POSSIBLE FOWARD TO BE ABLE TO PUT MY FEET ON THE GROUND. WITH THE CORBIN IT DID LET ME REACH THE GROUND. IF I HAD LONGER LEGS AND LONGER ARMS I BELIEVE THE SEAT WOULD LET ME SIT BACK. IT IS SHAPED THAT WAY. FOR ME PERSONALY THE SEAT FOR ME IS THE RUSSEL DAY LONG. I HAD TO HAVE THEM SEAT ME ALL THE WAY AGANST THE TANK THOUGH. BUT WOW IS TI COMFORMTABLE FOR ME. SILVER DRAGON

I had a Corbin on another bike (VFR VTEC) and it wasn't much better than stock. It was really hard. As far as the stock seat here. I have been on a few rides now that were 500+ mile days and I just HAVE TO get off after about 100 miles because of pain. 

I didn't know about the Russell, but I am surely going to look into it. My wife and I are riding more together and comfort seems to really be an issue.

Yes Corbin's are firm. Yes they take a while to break in to your butt. But once broke in I think they are very good. Although I would use an Alaskan Sheep Skin over it. It adds just a bit more cushion. Plus keeps you cooler in the heat, as well as warmer in the cold. The Corbin with the Alaskan sheep skin was IMO, an awesome combination!