• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Seat for touring

Wooluff

Big Wheel
Anyone tried the Corbin seat with comments on passenger and rider comfort compared to the manufacturer seat? Looking for something better for touring that you can sit on for more than 100 miles. Also, any comments on the Corbin trunk/backrest - can the passenger really lean back on it unlike the Kawasaki one?

I would normally not suggest this but since no one is helping you... Go here http://forum.concours.org/ and do a seat search. Look for replies in the C14 sections. We are trying hard to get more C14 information on this site. This other site is also very useful. We should be one big happy site but for some reason we are not. To long to go into that here. Use both and enjoy. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

I have one and I end up buying a gel cushion for long distance after my trip to Mo. I do not have problems with up to 375 miles but I rode from Fl to Atl, no problem (375 miles) but the next day rode to MO and it was very hard. My wife like to ride and she like the seat but she never been over 250 miles in a one day. I think that for 100 miles, the seat is great.

I have the rick mayer saddle. Very comfortable with little break in http://www.rickmayercycle.com/gallery/Kaw-Concours-14-2008-top.jpg Mama is very happy too. we went from 200 mi tops to closer to 400 easy.

I got the Rick Mayer saddle and have been extremely dissapointed. It is nothing like the other Rick Mayers I've seen and ridden and he claims he has to make it different because of the seat pan. Russell's Day Long however, seems to be able to make a seat like Rick claims to make. 1000 miles over 4 days and I was the most uncomfortable rider in the group of 12-14 bikes. Rick's seat is killin me after about 100 miles. Even after I sent it back for a re-fit. Shawn 8000 miles so far

Just installed my new Sargent and rode to work. I can't tell a huge difference in a short ride, but I expect to tell a big difference in longer rides. I don't slide forward near as much, I still can slide, but it's better. The seat looks absolutely awesome though. ----------------------- Brent Johnson AMA# 1046574 COG# 8402 SF Bay Area California 2009 C-14 "Razzi" 1988 Red Concours "Ruby" connie-dot-mrpepsi-dot-com

I've had the Corbin installed for about 2 months now and I will give you my opinion. 1. Hard as hell, but getting better with time as they said it would. 2. It definetaly pushes you farther back on the bike and makes lthe reach to the bars longer if you sit "in the pan" as it designed. 3. I feel as though the reach to the pegs is farther, (at a stop) but I think it is because the seat is wider. In the end... I DO like it better than the stock seat and have no regrets. Last year I did the ride to INDY on the stocker and it was easy going up (took two days), but HELL coming back (one day ride 750 miles). I am hoping this years ride will be better with the new seat. FYI: I am about 180 lbs. and have a 32" inseam. Another plus is they do not want your seat like some of the others. That leaves me to keep the stocker as a spare. What happened to the old website? I've been busy ridin.

IMHO the stock seat sucks... I had a Corbin, but it was contributing to my knee pain on longer rides. Also, this was the first Corbin (of a LONG run of Corbins) that wasn't breaking in to my buns like it should. I sold it and purchased a Sargent. So far, I'm liking the Sargent. I've spent a fair amount of time on it, including a 10 day trip from Boise to L.A. and getting "lost" riding back up the coast.

I can't believe that I missed this thread for this long. I have a heated front/ non heated rear Corbin. The seat is way better than stock. But it is very firm. I took quite a while to break in. But admit that when I take long trips, I still use an airhawk. The Corbin is good. But if I'm in the saddle for multiple long days. I will get sore. With the airhawk, I still get tired a$$. But I don't feel sore the next day like I would if I didn't use the airhawk. But for normal riding, I'm good for a full day. But I will get sore towards the end of a long day. Like I said, as long as I'm not doing multiple long days, it's good. (if you can deal with firm). The heated seat has proven to be an option that I will never be without on a custom seat. I can't believe I ridden this many years without one. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

I've had the Corbin for a while now, this is my fourth, (four bikes). I wasn't going to put one on this bike because I felt I could live with the factory seat even though it wasn't perfect, however my wife didn't like the factory passenger section so I caved and bought the Corbin. Fortunately they got it right the first time on this bike because their customer service leaves a lot to be desired if you feel you need to return it for some re-work. I'm glad I did now. My wife is far more comfortable with less stress on her knees because she doesn't have to push herself back on the seat constantly. I like the way I sit in the bike now instead of "on it". It's definitely firm as per Corbin tradition, but it feels no firmer after 400+ miles, and it never starts to "bite" your butt like softer saddles can. I recently finished a 6 day ride and was the only one not standing on my pegs by the end of each day. My friends were riding an FJ1300 and a BMW LT1200. The BMW had a Russell Day Long saddle on it.

I have a Bill Mayer solo seat on my C-14. I've had Russells on three Beemers and a Rick Mayer on a KLR. I have no experience with the Corbins or Sargent seats. Much of my riding is long distance touring and riding to cycle rallies so I set my bike up for 600 mile days. Any of the above seat rebuilders have been able to meet my riding needs very well. Ride safe.

i too have a rick mayer seat. it slid me forward just like the stock seat, and due to his crummy customer service, i refused to send it back to him. i took it to a local upholstery guy and he dished it out considerably. it looks just like it did when it came from rick, but much more comfy. i still slide just a tiny bit, but its a million times better..and for only $60-less than shipping to rick! im getting ready to do a 8k mile trip, so well see if i decide to keep it or go with a sargent. ill probably be sore no matter what i sit on! the rick mayer seat looks awesome, but doesnt deliver the comfort other rm seats do. Tom Hess North Charleston, SC COG #8406 IBA #30337 CDA #248 (C10) 97 c10 (former) 08 c14 (current)

For me, right now, the stock C14 seat is OK. On my old ZG1000 I had a Corbin which I really liked. Time will tell I suppose. On the C14 Corbin, does it allow you to scoot back more than the stock seat? I'm pretty long legged with long arms too so I want more of a stretch.

I sprung for the Corbin non-heated. It is a better seat than stock though the stock seat was pretty good for shorter distances. The Corbin lets me scoot back more which I like and it seems to be a bit lower to the ground which I didn

has anyone ever tryed a sheep skin cover? I Want to get a custom seat but was told by iron butt bmw rider to try a sheep skin first still havent got one yet .just wondering if any one has.factory seat is good for about 150 then I have to walk around a bit.

Hello, I tried a sheepskin cover. It did help but from my perspective the problem with the stock seat is it's shape which puts all your weight on the inside of your thighs. A sheep skin can't fix that. Later, Norm

I have had the Corbin Seat on for over a year. I like the rider pan and the passenger seat acts as a mini back support. The passenger seat is wider, and the pan is great. The reason I got it was my wife wanted it. She sits up higher (she is short) and the sissy bar support being adjustable works for her. She has knee probelms and a back problem. We added the FJR pegs which are rubber isolated and an extension kit moving the pegs down and forward about 1-1/2" Seat looks good, has not degraded at all, and most important my wife is happy. This is the 6th bike I have owned with a Corbin Saddle.

Sorry, I also have the Corbin Tail case. It is mfgr very well. Adds 4 lights on back for Tail, outward two for turn signals, inward to fro brake lights. Rides very good for rider control. Back rest and Arm rests work very good for passenger. It is big,........and long. So I only put it on for trips when my wife packs the kitchen sink. For allen screws hold it in place, lift off stock plastic tray and it bolts right to existing stock frame. Lights plug into clip harness. Wiring the harness was a pain. Original wiring was done by Corbin at Ormand Beach. They wired it wrong and it blew fuses. I took the wiring diagram and found they had spliced into the wrong wire. Fixed that and no problems since.

I bought my 2005 in Jan and it came with Corbin from previous owner. There is plenty of room to move around but it does tend to slide me forward, which is not uncomfortable. I have only had one 300+ day and it didnt cause any discomfort. It is firm and maybe I have to ride it for awhile before it conforms to my style, if not will see if Corbin will adjust so that I ride farther back. C K Roach Jr you cant lose what you never had 2005 Concour "Gold Rush" 1983 Suzuki GS750ES - Project 1983 Suzuki GL850 - Sold 1982 Suzuki GS650G - Sold

I have one. Like it way better that stock though stock ain't all that bad. The Ms likes it too. No sliding forward. No bum burn. We are high mileage riders... UP

I looked at the custom seats and decided they were to expensive. I took my 09 to local shop and had the eat modified. The guy lowered the seat by over one inch, cut and remolded the seat with gel pad. I am real happy with its comfort and now I can flatfoot my feet on the ground. Juscruizn