• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Seat Latch Hardware Help! Just got new seat

shredran

Hi All, I just got a new seat (Saddlemen Explorer) and currently have a Sargent seat. The hardware from the bottom of the Sargent won't unscrew so I can transfer it to the Saddlemen. Does anyone know the full list of seat hardware part numbers I need? I'm finding some various ones online but not totally sure. I have a 2009 Concours 14 ABS. I need all the seat hardware so I can use the provided screws that came with my saddlemen seat.

Thanks!

It appears that the only way to get ahold of the original OEM seat mounting brackets is to buy an entirely new seat!!! at least that's what the stealership says. No idea why the screws won't unscrew from the bottom of my sargeant seat, otherwise I'd be able to use the brackets since they're right there. Maybe one of you has a trashed OEM seat, not sure. Let me know please, friends.

YOU CAN SEE THE 3 METAL BRACKETS I NEED WHEN YOU LOOK AT THIS LISTING FOR A SARGENT SEAT, PHOTO # 4:

Last edited:
Looks like the stealer ship is correct, there are no part numbers for the undersea brackets, only the under seat rubber baby buggy bumpers. Can you provide more detail why the hardware holding the brackets on will not unscrew? Do they turn but not come out like a stripped screw, or just not able to turn at all? Maybe give SARGENT a call, they've probably encountered the same problem your experiencing?

Looks like the stealer ship is correct, there are no part numbers for the undersea brackets, only the under seat rubber baby buggy bumpers. Can you provide more detail why the hardware holding the brackets on will not unscrew? Do they turn but not come out like a stripped screw, or just not able to turn at all? Maybe give SARGENT a call, they've probably encountered the same problem your experiencing?
Thank you for responding. The Allen key fits into the screw just fine & the screw turns with no problem at all, it just doesn’t loosen out of the thread that it’s screwed into. You keep thinking it’s loosening but the screw isn’t actually moving upward/outward—-So yes perhaps the well is stripped? Not sure

Try using a small blade...knife, screwdriver, etc....to pry up on the head of the screw as you turn it to loosen it. Keep constant pressure with the blade as you turn.

+1 on Rexter's approach. If that doesn't work, try gripping the head of the screw with a vise grip pliers, use ones that have the grip jaw at the point. Pull up with the vise grips as you turn the screw out. As soon as you get those screws out and solve your seat bracket transfer problem you should join COG and become a full member. It will be the best investment you can make on your bike. The rates here are a lot cheaper than the stealer ship and the knowledge base in this group on this bike is unmatched!

Damn, just used vice grips and even with the vice grips firmly attached, it does nothing when pulling up and turning at the same time. When the vice grips are attached firmly, I’m able to use them to also unscrew while pulling up simultaneously very hard. One of them did loosen a little bit so as to create a bigger gap that I could try wedging a screwdriver flat head underneath, but it just doesn’t budge past a certain point. It doesn’t loosen up even enough to make the actual bracket loose. This sucks. I really appreciate all of your help so far and I definitely will become a full member soon

Maybe the hardware is bolted to the seat pan before foam and cover are installed? You would have to disassemble the seat to get the brackets off.

Looks like it is time to get some angle steel and a grinder out and make your own. That may be easer than uncovering the seat to hold whatever the bolts are screwed into. You know that you want brackets on both seats so they could be swapped over at any time.

Oh wow! I just spoke to Sargent. The bolts are NOT removable. When you buy a Sargent seat they come with hardware already on it and it's non-removable. I'm gonna have to A. make my own or B. find a torn up seat that has the OEM hardware. I'm in in rush, I can keep using my Sargent til' I find what I need.

If Sargent pan design is different than the OEM it is possible the brackets are different too. Has anyone compared the Sargent brackets to the OEM?

You should trade your sargent for an OEM. I'm sure someone would do that.

Sorry to hear you are having issues. Fortunate for me, I went from the stock seat to the Saddlemen Explorer, and all worked ok. I've it for quite some time, comfortable for me and a little lower too.

Hope you get this worked out soon. Sorry, I no longer have the stock seat. If I had it laying around, I would give you the hardware.

Well at least now we all know the Sargent hardware is made permanent, not designed to be removed. I'd take my chances on posting your Sargent on Craigslist and the COG For Sale section to trade for a stock seat and keep you eye out for a second hand stock seat.

In answer to Steve's question about the hardware being different than the Sargent hardware, they are different. The Sargent uses a button head screw, and a small tab locating hole that keeps it aligned on the seat pan. The stock hardware is fastened to the seat with a 10mm nut and is kept in alignment with raised plastic edges molded into the seat pan. It doesn't look like they are interchangeable without some creative Dremel work. The locking latch hook hardware at the back of the seat does look the same.

Sorry to hear you are having issues. Fortunate for me, I went from the stock seat to the Saddlemen Explorer, and all worked ok. I've it for quite some time, comfortable for me and a little lower too.

Hope you get this worked out soon. Sorry, I no longer have the stock seat. If I had it laying around, I would give you the hardware.
Hi Road Runner, sorry to resurrect an old thread, I’m seriously considering getting the Saddlemen seat and I currently have the stock. Was it hard to install or does the seat just go right in place?

Just to jump in the middle of this conversation about seats, a few minutes ago I spoke with a salesperson (Jason) from Saddlemen and he shared a couple interesting data points:

1) there are very few non-HD saddle centers in the country, so we won't be able to find one to try before we buy... however, they do offer a hassle-free 30-day money back guarantee if we don't absolutely love the seat;

2) no matter what the photos show, there are NO BACKRESTS for their C14 seats... they use stock sales sheet images (showing backrests on the RS and LS models) but they're for literally every other bike except the C14.
Long story short, if you're looking for the backrest then Saddlemen is not the way to go. And if you're looking for a way to try one without plunking down ~$500 up front before shipping then you're also out of luck with them. And finally, if you're wanting something you can pick up and ride right away, well sorry they (like other seat builders) have a minimum 5-6 week build window this time of year so nothing will happen quickly.

If anyone is currently riding a Saddlemen seat pls share your experience with them as a company and how your bench is treating you.

Thx, AB