• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Second Connie on the Merry Go Round of Life

Viper

Hello from a Canadian Prairie Rider, in Winnipeg. Currently only a forum subscriber (not for long). My original Connie was a 2001 Crimson Red beauty purchased NEW. I spent ten years on this bike and modified something (do farkles count) every season. Sold the '01 and moved to a GL1800. Ten years later, I am back on a Connie.(200 pounds lighter ...Oh ,you knew that) This time a 2011 Black ZG14, bone stock, with only 6700Km's. That is under 5,000 miles. Unfortunately, the original owner had short legs and a gravel driveway which resulted in quite a lot of "tip over" damage. Scuffs and scratches mostly. Like many COG members, I have been riding for an extended time. This is my 26th Motorcycle and have taken to putting a small number somewhere on the body work, just for a conversation piece. I have ridden coast to coast , both in Canada and the USA. Nothing better than the second morning of an extended ride to clear the head. Right? I have already begun to modify my C14 and I believe in personalizing Motorcycles. As one who takes pride in doing all my own maintenance, I have always enjoyed the COG forum and look forward to reading more from everyone. I celebrated my 71st Birthday last October, and have a busy riding season ahead. Now if the CDN/US border will get back to normal, this promises to be another GREAT SUMMER. Plans include the CABOT TRAIL in July, STURGIS in Aug, and the THREE FLAGS CLASSIC in September. The COG national would be a nice addition in June. The border crossing rules will have a say in that. That is surely quite enough about me. Glad to be BACK.

Welcome back "viper ..." I enjoyed reading your story, thanks for sharing!

You've done a lot, and I can see MORE to come. Awesome!

Congrats on the new-to-you ZG14. I know you're anxious to put many KMs on it this 2022+.

Safe and fun travels!

Welcome back Viper!

Looking forward to seeing you around and hearing of your riding adventures, hope you’ll share!

Farkle away!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Greetings northern cousin! You have some serious riding creds and IMHO have chosen a worthy steed.

"Nothing better than the second morning of an extended ride to clear the head. Right?"

I agree, especially if while twisting the go stick of a flashed ZG-14....

ZXtacy, I have been wondering about flashing my ECM. Do you endorse this? bear in mind that I am not necessaily looking for more power. Not actually sing the POWER I have now. However, I have read about benefits in smoothing out some of the rough edges in throttle response etc.

Welcome back Viper. Good to hear your back in the saddle.
On the Flash, I think "everyone" that has had one done will tell you to get it done.
It's that big of a benefit.
Top end performance will improve, but the biggest benefit is improved torque/rideability in "all" the RPM ranges.

Ride safe, Ted

Viper", welcome! We look forward to your membership.
Hopefully we can meet at this year's TFC (🤞) if not earlier at the COG National in June.
Of the three sources of flashes available where I have direct experience there are two that I can recommend, Guhl is not one of the two. I will not get into it other than that on the forum. It is one of the modifications in the bike performance area that I do recommend but....Comfort farkles IMO should take precedence as well as tip over protection. If you can afford a bunch of farkling all at once then get a flash, if not then an electronic cruise control or a place to plug in heated gear might be a higher priority. There have been plenty of those "second mornings of an extended trip" where I enjoyed my heated jacket and my Airhawk seat cushion much more than my reflashed ECU.
If I don't see you in Eureka Springs then please look me up in Mexicali. After all, us 70+ guys need to stick together.

Last edited:
Viper", welcome! We look forward to your membership.
Hopefully we can meet at this year's TFC (🤞) if not earlier at the COG National in June.
Of the three sources of flashes available where I have direct experience there are two that I can recommend, Guhl is not one of the two. I will not get into it other than that on the forum. It is one of the modifications in the bike performance area that I do recommend but....Comfort farkles IMO should take precedence as well as tip over protection. If you can afford a bunch of farkling all at once then get a flash, if not then an electronic cruise control or a place to plug in heated gear might be a higher priority. There have been plenty of those "second mornings of an extended trip" where I enjoyed my heated jacket and my Airhawk seat cushion much more than my reflashed ECU.
If I don't see you in Eureka Springs then please look me up in Mexicali. After all, us 70+ guys need to stick together.
Thank you for this greeting. I look forward to a face to face in Mexicali. Not that many Kawasaki riders in the last two TFC which I attended in 2017 and 2019 riding my GoldWing. I agree with your suggestion. I actually have installed a Rostera Cruise Control unit. Only one issue left to resolve for that to be perfect. Also, I am currently using a “wildass” cushion, Bar risers, and have fabricated a set of “tip over bars” for the front, and am using a V-Stream windshield, all of which do indeed enhance my long day comfort. I am not interested in changing the muffler as any I have heard make the bike louder. IMHO, quieter exhaust makes for longer days in the saddle. That is just me. An ECM flash is on the table, but I would like to be confident in the benefits before purchasing.

ZXtacy, I have been wondering about flashing my ECM. Do you endorse this? bear in mind that I am not necessaily looking for more power. Not actually sing the POWER I have now. However, I have read about benefits in smoothing out some of the rough edges in throttle response etc.
Makes them smoother and more rideable. Best upgrade I have done. You have options in the market.

An ECM flash is on the table, but I would like to be confident in the benefits before purchasing.

+1 Without a doubt the best investment I made (besides the handlebar risers) was the ECU flash. Getting the MRP (Mountain Runner Premium) from SISF (Steve) allows me to be smooth with momma riding 2-up, yet still gets me the full thrill from this motor when I crack it open. Totally changes the way the throttle responds, and mellows out the accel/decel like ZXtasy said above!