• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sena SMH10R

Harry, the wife and I have them in our helmets. We've had them for several years.
Work well and easily pairs with others.
Range (bike to bike) is maybe 1/4 mile.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks. Could be the best farkle ever. I can use this on my hang gliding helmet when I goes flying.

The motorcycle and hang gliding community have many things in common and that means good communication. If this model works well with my HAM radio, my ground crew can stay in touch no matter where I land. The Bluetooth should be able to relay info from my avionics package as well as phone, music, and provide the sidetone that we need.

Same features as the smh10 but in a low profile package. Also has a separate battery pack. I have used our smh10's for several years rain or shine with no problems. Intercom will run all day. We will also connect to our son if he is riding along. Good for 1/4 to 1/2 mile.

Does the above Sena have 1 or 2 speakers? or does it use earbuds?
I looked on the webpage... couldn't find that info.
How much for a pair?
TIA
Nick
2014 C-14

I still use my old Sena 5. I pair my phone thru Bluetooth, and it plays music, gives directions via Google maps, accepts phone calls, makes one of three pre set phone calls, and intercoms with my buddy's Sena 5, all at the same time according to a set protocol of what over rides what. If I had a bluetooth radar detector, it wold take that input as well. A really neat piece of kit for the bike. I use it almost every time I ride. I'd buy a new one, but the old one works so well, it wouldn't be worth the $$ just to get the size down.

My wife and I agree the single best enhancement to our riding experience is incorporating the SENA communication devices.

2 speakers / decent audio volume (not outstanding but adequate), lots of integration opportunities to other gadgets. Have owned numerous sets, they don’t last forever, SENA is top notch though and will replace your units if they give out during warranty period. Biggest issue we have had is one of the two speakers becomes scratchy then intermittent and eventually stops working; could not find a wire break upon inspection.

If i remember correctly the smh models were a little lacking for reveiwers that listen to more music then chat with their riding buddies. Lacking bass.

Harry, the wife and I have them in our helmets. We've had them for several years.
Work well and easily pairs with others.
Range (bike to bike) is maybe 1/4 mile.

Ride safe, Ted

Harry, you should know better by now than to listen to Ted. Unless he's using his while in his truck trailering, he doesn't have enough time on them to know much. I have have a different model Sena so I want give a opinion.

Best place for this type info is RKA. They are a luggage company but sell Sena's & Richard is a bit of a guru on them. He has many YouTube video's with loads of info, even quit a bit on camera's.

What I'm really interested in is a headset that plugs into my hand held ham radio using VOX to control PTT. The Sena does not have that option. Yes on intercom, no on 2-way radio.

Still searching for a solution no matter what Ted seys or thinks.

(justathought) You could buy a headset that plugs into my hand held ham radio and uses VOX to control PTT..
But, you would have to get up/off your wallet.

Ride safe, Ted

Details?

Another rider and I who talk on these ham rigs have found nothing that works.
Ham radio, like, the kind that connect to mountain top repeaters allowing us to talk to each other 300 miles away.

We want VOX for PTT and sidetone so we know when we are actually transmitting.
We also use these for hang gliding when we land out miles away from cell service. Ham radio is the only way to go.