• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

September 8th Newburgh, NY Meet & Greet

Cap'n Bob

Going to miss this one, as I'll be on a ride up in Saratoga Springs.  I was just at the Neptune on Sunday.  Service and food are still recommended.  I noticed that the Gateway Diner was closed - completely.  Parking lot was chained off and I didn't see any signs that is was something temporary like construction.  Guess we weren't the only ones unhappy with the place.

Count me in, I'll be there.  I can't believe it we were probably the straw that broke the diners back.  Oh well maybe they'll open up again and be better.  Hopefully they'll change the skylight, it leaked when it rained.

millsan1 said:
Am I welcome if I ride the new BMW?

Of course your welcome Anthony. We don't discriminate. I don't care how folks get there (what brand of bike, car, truck, Vespa). It's all about getting together. So come on up.  :motonoises:

I will be there.Wife says I should get out more on the bike. She has been reading my insurance policies!

I don't know Bob, Andrea and I were planning on going to this one but the weather looks like it is going to be pretty poor on Sat.

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:
Well I finally got around to posting a September Meet & Greet for Newburgh, NY. Like pretty much all M&G's in Newburgh. This one will be on the second Saturday of the month (9/8). 11AM at the Neptune diner in Newburgh. The food has proven to be very good and it's easy to get to. So if your looking for someplace to ride (or drive). Then come on down and say hey.

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=172308&mo=9&tDate=%7Bd%20%272012%2D09%2D22%27%7D

Weather.com says 40% chance of rain.

Considering the last time I went downstate and got caught in a nasty storm, but survived (just barely!!!  :-\) I am going to chance this one. I guess I'll see if the waterproofing spray worked on my boots.

After riding home from Springfield Vermont in a steady downpour I think I can manage this ride, but I'm closer than you guys.

BDF said:
I don't know Bob, Andrea and I were planning on going to this one but the weather looks like it is going to be pretty poor on Sat.

Brian quote]

Wife says I must go and get there as fast as I can, the rain won't bother a man like you! I think she increased one of my life insurance policies, see you all Sat!

The Weather underground shows it as 20% chance of rain or thunderstorm later in the afternoon/evening. High around 79 but mostly cloudy all day.
  The Weather channel shows it at 40% chance of rain, high of 81. A little less detailed than the Weather underground though. So use it as you will. I plan on bringing the C10 unless it's (unlikely) raining in the AM.

OK, the updated weather isn't quite as good as previous. But still do-able. The forecast from the weather underground now is for high of 74 with 50% chance of rain around the time of the event. 76 and 60% chance of rain later.
    The weather Chanel says 82 high with 50% chance of rain. chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon ( according to both). So I'm going to play it by ear. If it looks like rain, I may not ride the old girl out in nasty weather.  :truce:

Yea Bob you have so far to go! I will play it by ear, a little rain is ok ,but stormes I don't like. I'll check radar Sat am and see whats up. I would hate to run over there and be the only one to show up!

wayne_jenkins_CT said:
Yea Bob you have so far to go! <snip>

OK, a little off topic, but not much.  :-\  But your exactly right Wayne. To be honest, that's actually my though. I don't see the logic to take out that nice old bike (or probably the nice new bike) and get it filthy just for the sake of riding a few miles for lunch. Both bikes are nice a clean at the moment. Getting them dirty just to ride a few miles for lunch is pointless for me. I don't claim to be a die hard biker.  ::) 
  All fun aside, like I said, I'll play it by ear and see what the weathers doing. if it's so-so, I'll probably ride. But if it is raining or definitely going to rain shortly, I'll probably drive over. And in all honesty (other than about me), I have no problem with folks coming in cages if they like. For me it's about folks getting together more than anything else. If they feel they need to come in a car or truck to be there (for what ever reason), I have no problem with that. IMO, It's better to come how ever you can, than to have folks feel like they're not welcome or only welcome on their bike (or a certain type of bike, or a certain skin tone, etc.) OK, I'm stretching it a bit.  :))

Hope to see y'all there. 

So are you going or not Wayne? If I ride in to meet you there, and you are not there it just won't work....

Andrea is probably going to sit this one out but Mr. Elkhoof and I might be game (well, he really WAS game). Still a 40% chance of rain on Sat.

By the way, did you folks draw straws to see who is going to sit between me an Bob? <ROFLMFO>

Brian

wayne_jenkins_CT said:
Yea Bob you have so far to go! I will play it by ear, a little rain is ok ,but stormes I don't like. I'll check radar Sat am and see whats up. I would hate to run over there and be the only one to show up!

wayne_jenkins_CT said:

Wayne, I'm an old hand at sitting out storms in bus stops at train stations. It's an experience. I can give you instructions and everything! :))

Darn, I was looking forward to the M&G but something came up and I don't think I'll be able to make it.  Next time.  :'(

Brian , I will be there unless the road is washed out! The largest one there gets that Honor! I made the trip last year in hard rain in both directions. I did not melt.

We are both going to miss this one- rain predicted along with fairly warm temps- six hours in the rain is bad enough but baking in rain gear is too much. Sorry to miss you Kathy but maybe we'll catch up to you and Blaise next year in Idaho. For the rest of you folks, maybe October will be a bit more kind.

Brian

Trying to see if the team Navigator can show up to at least make the initial introductions.  If you see an Air Force Sergeant show up in a green Cherokee, say hello!  A few more months and we'll pop in together.

I'll certainly miss you guys! At this point I'm leaning heavily at backing out of this ride. The weather channel is making things look nasty!

BDF said:
We are both going to miss this one- rain predicted along with fairly warm temps- six hours in the rain is bad enough but baking in rain gear is too much. Sorry to miss you Kathy but maybe we'll catch up to you and Blaise next year in Idaho. For the rest of you folks, maybe October will be a bit more kind.

Brian

I'm wating untill 9am to make up my mind,riding in the rain is not as much fun as it used to be! Damn  not much is!

9:30 AM here and the sun is out (DOH!). No rain yet this morning. So at least we could have cleared RI without getting wet. Too late to start off now though.

Brian

kathybrj said:
I'll certainly miss you guys! At this point I'm leaning heavily at backing out of this ride. The weather channel is making things look nasty!

BDF ,We have been under some kind of weather watch all after noon. It was off and on rain  from Danbury Ct to Newbrough in the AM and bad storms from Danbury to Hartford in the afternoon. I checked the Radar at 9am and said not today.

Well like a lot of these Meet & Greets. It rained again. But if you got there early today, it probably would have been a dry day. But it was raining before 11AM in Newburgh. And it was raining heavy during lunch. But it stopped before we were finished. So more than likely folks could have made it home before the next wave came in.
  So even though we had to again deal with threatening weather. Eight people showed up for lunch. And to make it cooler yet. Four of the folks that came were there for their first Newburgh Meet & Greet. So I will give a big welcome to folks that I met for the first time. The first being Anthony and Kate. This was actually the first time I have met them even though I have been conversing with Anthony on the COG forum for a good while now. It was really great to finally meet Anthony and Kate. I kind of felt like I knew both of them because of the great write ups Anthony has made in his threads and adventures.
  Then there was our new COG member Lee. Lee is new to the world of the Concours, but is quickly getting involved with COG. I would like to welcome Lee to COG and to his first Meet & Greet as well. Lee living close to me is a plus. Hopefully I will see him more often. It was great to have you there. And last of our first time Newburgh Meet & Greet participants was Mike. It's a pleasure to have Mike around since I had spent quite a bit of time with him in West Virginia last month. So it was great to have Mike come down as well.
  So all in all I want to welcome Anthony, Kate, Lee and Mike to the world of the Newburgh M&G's. I'm sorry y'all had to deal with rain coming in. But it was great having you there.  Then there was our other three. It was again nice to see Tom, Ben and Bill there. You guys have been great as regular attendee's. So as always I want to thank you for your participation. Hopefully y'all made it home dry as well.

The ride was drier then the way home from the VT. M&G.
The last 10 miles is when the rain really came down.

84 was a parking lot around rte. 311
Anthony, Kate and myself took 311 to 22 and back to 84.
Rte. 7 looked like it was washed out, did you guys, Anthony and Kate, make it thru OK?

It was great to see everyone, looking forward to the next get together

Bill

Hey guys

Great meeting everyone and great conversation.

Bill Kate and I ended up backroading it for a ways and it was very nice.

That one spot where 7 peels away from 84 was flooded but once past all was well.

I mentioned that Max BMW is a great dealership.  Here is proof.  Kate has the ultra low seat on her bike.  She needed that last year.  Naturally the ultra low has the least padding.  When we got to Max, there was an F800 with the comfort low seat sitting in the parking lot.  Seat is about an inch higher and more padded.  Kate sat on it and wanted one.  $500 item.  Except we asked if we could swap her seat for this one.  Their answer?  Go right ahead. 

Great service and kate loves her new seat.

We just got in the door and there is a tornado watch in our area!

Hope to see you guys next month and hope some can join our scavenger hunt in my sign.

Thanks again for having us.

A

I'm glad everyone had a good time and safe rides! I got up at 5:45am and my knee was complaining- usually means rain.....so I stuck close to home and then made it to my sister's b'day party in the afternoon.

We had gusty winds here all day long and the Boulevard may as well be a kite in that weather. I get knocked around a bit on that bike.

Maybe Blaise and I will see some of you folks out in Idaho or a Virginia/West Virginia event- those aren't a bad ride from NC.

Anthony and Kate- welcome!! The NE group is awesome! You'll be pushing to make all of the events because of these people. I'm going to miss them all so much!  :'(

I had a pleasant ride back to Bolton Landing except for the last 20 miles. It poured and the wind almost blew me off the road! The hot shower at home sure felt good!!
    Nice to see new folks at the M&G and hope to see you all again, Hopefully in October.

Tom Taylor COG#7173