• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SERIOUS Front End Swap

gbyoung2

Ya’ll are probably aware that the lower fork tree stems on most bikes can be removed from the lower brackets – the Connie is no exception.

I popped one out on an ’88 model fork bracket I had with ~10T pressure and a little bit of heat as a test run. A fella is coming by a little later today for a repeat on his stuff. He has a 1996 Triumph Sprint and is trying to drop in a 2006 GSXR Front end on his brother’s bike. Some machine work may be needed, but won’t know that for sure until after we get into it a little deeper.

Good info to know for those considering a really serious front end swap other than simply changing wheels.

Always something fun going on here. Until then, time to whack the grass.

Img_5097-L.jpg

Img_5098-L.jpg

sweet. ive done quite a few swaps like this on other bikes. whats a decent modern ft end for the c10 to use? I do have capacity to machine (lathe/mill no problem).

m in sc said:
sweet. ive done quite a few swaps like this on other bikes. whats a decent modern ft end for the c10 to use? I do have capacity to machine (lathe/mill no problem).

Have no idea. I, and my own bike are too long in the tooth to even think about it.

I remember Dave Jakeman (now deceased) of Sagebrush Engineering worked up a swap for the KLR, changing the front end to a more "modern" cartridge type forks. He had to machine a tapered bushing to match a like taper in the lower adopted clamp to the straight shaft of the KLR. Not sure if we're going to run into that issue here, or not. Will find out later once the fella gets here and we get stuff pressed apart.

I'm a rank amateur when it comes to this type of machine work. No taper attachment for my 10L Heavy, but think we can manipulate the compound rest enough to cut a decent taper for a bushing if needed.