• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shifter Oil Seal Replacement

roger123

After changing the front bevel drive to Steve's new 7th gear mod on Tom's Connie I noticed that it has a very small oil leak around the shifter shaft seal. It didn't leak on Paul's bike so I must have nicked it while swapping the units. Is this as easy as it looks to change? Just drill a small hole in the face of the seal and pull it out with a sheet metal screw? From what I recall the seal cannot be pushed all the way into the casing due to the design of the housing right? Roger COG 5903 Virginia Beach, VA

Hi Roger Yes you have this right, the seal can be removed by hooking it out with a couple of screws. There is no lip so you're correct don't push it in too far :) They are a bit tricky to fit in as the outer edge of the seal is pretty sharp and its a snug fit. Make sure you use a well fitting socket or what ever to drift the new one in. Make sure you clean/polish the shaft well before you fit it and that their are no burs on the splines to damage the seal. Good luck! Colin Colin Prior Cogmos Committee Chairman Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Does anyone have pictures, part number etc. for this shifter shaft seal.  I can't find any reference to it in my Clymer's Manual or a part listed on any of my online sources.  I have a small leak at this point but no information on what to do about it.

Is it 92051 on the bevel gear?  You are correct that it is hard to find.  Harder without the bike here to go look.

Oh and by the way the easiest thing to do is to try and remove the seal from the outside being careful to not damage things.  It is above the oil level for the most part so it should not even have to drain.

PS make sure you do not have a water pump leak instead.  There is a weep hole under the water pump and close to that area.

I can't find any reference to it in my Clymer's Manual or a part listed on any of my online sources.
Me to: I am stumped trying to find OEM part number or a proper seal (fits inside crankcase) for around the Shifter Shaft for my 2002 Concours ZG1000A ... If anyone has any clues for me, I too would appreciate any help. :+) Bill in No. Calif

... found it after being stumped: It was on section for Bevel Gear (which shows crankcase corner with shifter seal under the bevel gear housing/ was hard to figure out ) !!! Kawasaki Part Number: 92051-005
HEY: These guys had the Best Price I saw: http://www.adeptpowersports.com/oem-parts/kawasaki-seal-oil-tb13225-5-92051-005-part.html

Last edited: