• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shorai Lithium Battery Long term report

Fred H.

I knew this day would eventually come, but I actually expected it a long time ago. My Shorai Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery in my Concours has given up the ghost. It was installed new in the fall of 2010. I only started putting a charger on it the last 6 months or so, because it was starting to show signs of getting weak. Today it finally failed to start. Prior to that, I never put a trickle charger on it, even over the winter. At 12 years old, it makes this the longest lasting battery I've ever owned in any vehicle, and the least amount of maintenance I've ever done on one.

I'll be replacing it with another Shorai LiFePO4. Maybe in 2034 I'll come back and report how its holding up.

That is wonderful to know. I started using a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery early this year. It has been wonderful although I was apprehensive about cold starting outside on cold days and have had no issues.

I've had a shorai battery in my zx14r since 2013.... best thing I've ever done. Never had a charger on it.

Have a shorai in my Concours for 3 years and it always starts with more power than a lead acid battery.

Can't recommend anything better

Last edited:
Yeah, I love my Shorai. Never failed, plenty of CCAs, and lighter to boot. If mine lasts as long as Fred's or ever close I will be a very happy camper.

Finally got some rain in Seattle which washed away the smoke from forest fires so it is a mixed blessing...

Cheers!

Gilbysan, aka - Fat Ninja

I’m in my eighth year with an EarthX Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4). I contacted the company last spring and they said 6 years is recommended, but keep using it if you still have good results, but they don’t last forever. The resting voltage is 13.3V compared to a lead acid which is only 12.6V. It has over discharge protection, but never needed it so far. Never had a single issue with it. Good info to know that these similar types of batteries can last over a decade.

I had a Shorai in my R1. For a few reasons, weight, quality and the newer crossplanes needed a little more power to crank at times. I did keep it plugged it with their charger most of the time. When my 16 C14 is due i was considering just getting a standard replacement because of price and how much am i really going to notice a drop in weight? After reading this I'm definitely going with another Shorai.

Cool deal Coggers, I have nothing but good to say about my experience with Shorai and the lithium batteries they make.

Safe Travels!

gilbysan, aka - Fat Ninja