• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Should I Buy a 2008?

Sport rider

Iron Butt
So, I've been noticing lately (ok, drooling) that the prices of used 08s are at really reasonable levels.  Me being a cheap connie owner  ;) I'm looking at that direction.  My question is about what has actually changed between 08 and 12 that really matter.

for reference, I'm not an ABS person personally, so that is low on my priority list.  I'm aware of the body improvements for heat deflection, but I believe there are some home-fixes to the early models.  I know the "trunk" on the top got removed later.

What "improvements" should I really consider in making my decision?  Anything mechanical changes?

thanks in advance for the input.

I have an '08, and I'm very happy with it.  If you're OK with the heat management issues and don't care about the advanced electronics, the slightly revised styling, or the locking glovebox, I don't think there's much that will justify buying one of the later models.

I have been riding an 08 for over a year and can honestly say it's a great bike.  And all the critics agreed over the years.  If you didn't see the changes made over the 4 years you wouldn't miss them at all.  It's like any new purchase of a computer, a car, etc. there are always incremental improvements made over time, but nothing intrinsically wrong with the original.  That's one reason why the C10 existed for so long.  It comes down to how much value you place on those incremental improvement - or how much your ego needs the very newest.  I would bet you would be happy with any year of this great bike.

Depends on how hot it gets where you ride. If you ride in 85 degrees and hotter, your shins will get toasted. Even then, if you wear leather pants or have a great resistance to pain, you won't notice. The valve adjustment is a major consideration in buying an 08. If it is due, you are going to be paying up to $700. Also, look at the brake and clutch fluid containers by the levers--if they contain clear fluid, great. If dark, the maintenance has been ignored on the bike, as changing the fluid every two years will keep it clear. Most guys I know don't follow the maintenance schedule and sell their bikes every two or three years. YMMV

thanks for the input guys.  much appreciated.  What I'm mainly interested in is specific "upgrades" that have been done in more current years.

I was aware of the heat thing, and from what I understand the "fix" helps...is that true?

Does the valve adjust interval change a lot?

I'd love to have a shiny new 11 or 12, but just trying to understand the changes so I can do my own cost/benefit comparison based on my needs.  :)

To be short and sweet, traction control, abs and linked brakes as well as heated grips i believe are all standard now.  The new'er ones also come with the Kawi taller windscreen.  I believe thats the main points. 

Someone else can chime in on the valve adjustment interval.    :motonoises:

I have a 09. I have been in 200+ degree weather. Stopping at stop lights were bothersome to me due to heat. The fans come on and up through the triple tree the heat comes comes. I wear long pants and good boots to deal with the heat on the feet. I have been more aware of engine heat like I said at the stop signs when It's over a hundred degrees.

I have an '08 that I put heat shields in as soon as I got it.  I commute about half the time and rode all summer in 95+ temps.  No problems and a lot cooler than my prior Triumph.

I have an 09 and love it. 

IMO, if you want to save $6k to $8k vs buying a new one, go for it! You'll have more $ left over for farkles to make it more to your specific likings...  :)

Happy hunting SR, there's some great deals out there this time of year!  :beerchug:

I have an '08 that I just love! I agree with the comments from ZG! Happy Hunting. :motonoises:

If you like the Grey, go for it, I would personally find a 2009 for color choice.  Especially if there is a workaround for the right leg heat problem.  I bought a 2010 because of all the buzz about it and got a real good deal on a non-current/demo unit  :motonoises:  (Plus I really love the color!)  Damn the money I could have saved though...  :-[ 

Just want to chime in and say don't rule out the ABS. I've never had ABS in all my years of riding and your first unexpected panic stop makes it amazing. Grabbing a fistful of brakes and doing that split second thought of "hey, I don't have to worry about locking it" and my god, does the thing slow down in a hurry. From being super low on my list of wants to the top in a matter of a few days.

Of course, even without ABS it's got good brakes, but I don't think I'll ever be without a bike again that doesn't have it. As a safety feature it's fantastic, and the traction control is really nice too on the loose stuff. I took a corner with the sun in my eyes and didn't notice the pile of sand right where I was turning. Saved an unpleasant surprise.

I just picked up a used 08 3 weeks ago, so far no issues.  9600 miles on the clock for mine and other than a few little changes I want, I don't see any problem.

A couple other things to point out on the 08/09 vs 10+ just IMO...

I personally don't like linked brakes, 10+ I believe it's standard.

10+ has heated grips, but this is a very inexpensive mod to an 08/09.

10+ has outside temp gage, I really do miss this feature in the winter, I got use to it on my VFR...  :( (there are aftermarket options though)

I don't get the center compartment delete on the 10+ but yet they left the blank plastic slab, looks odd to me, they should have redone the tank IMO.

I personally like the lines of the 08/09 lowers better than the 10+, they follow the lines of the tail better IMO...

IMG00539-20110913-1627.jpg

I went with a new 2010 - great price offered on a floor-sitter.  The upgrades and the color (Neptune Blue) won me over. 

Justamemba said:
Depends on how hot it gets where you ride. If you ride in 85 degrees and hotter, your shins will get toasted. Even then, if you wear leather pants or have a great resistance to pain, you won't notice. The valve adjustment is a major consideration in buying an 08. If it is due, you are going to be paying up to $700. Also, look at the brake and clutch fluid containers by the levers--if they contain clear fluid, great. If dark, the maintenance has been ignored on the bike, as changing the fluid every two years will keep it clear. Most guys I know don't follow the maintenance schedule and sell their bikes every two or three years. YMMV

I love my 2008 that I bought this summer for 7k. The heat problem is not an issue as past bikes were hotter. I would like to know about the valve adjustment comment. I have yet to be able to find information on it. At what point should I be concerned?

I feel the linked brakes are a bit wierd if you came off of a bike that didn't have it.  But the logic works out to have it, IMO.  I think the ABS scares me more than anything, however.  I read in the manual that the ABS system disables itself at low speeds like under 3mph, and lessens its potential at under 10 (or something, my manual is at the shop atm).  This seems to cause a change in lever pressure and I can feel it in my hand and foot.  I have had to compensate for it a few times adding or sometimes releasing my grip.

I do agree on the Candy Neptune Blue though, I love the color.  Even though in the shade at distance it looks as black as a 2009 Connie, lol.  I do like the lower fairing on the 08/09 model, but like the uppers more on the 10+.

I did get a pretty sweet deal on a non-current 10.  Sorta regretting the payment though.  :-[

I would think about the buzz and vibration problems some 2010 and 2011’s have. I’ve been very happy with my 2009. So it comes down to heat vs. Buzz

I heard about the heat and was a little worried about this before I bought my 08, but found I have no issues with engine heat being uncomfortable.  Great motorcyle... and my dad likes it better than his 05 FJR1300.

been in love with my 08 since july 07, you should seriously consider why not.
Besides saving a ton of money, the fact kaw started changing it rapidly tells you it's worth getting one of the original entrance year bikes, riding it for a couple hundred thousand miles and enjoy it, while kaw figures out just how far they intend to go with changes.... and when they stop changing it for a few years, you can then see what's out there as "the latest" version, and decide...
we have a bunch of "first year" owners with big smiles, price alone being a big factor. :))

I bought my 08 3 yrs. ago and it's the best street bike I have owned and the only issue I had was the TPMS but was an easy fix at the dealer.If I get rid of it it will be for a Yamaha Supertenere

MAN OF BLUES said:
we have a bunch of "first year" owners with big smiles, price alone being a big factor. :))
"First year" owner here, and I couldn't agree more with MOB. Each time, even after 4 yrs, I just can't wipe the grin off my face when I take her for a ride, even more so on a long ride. :beerchug:
Good luck on your search Sport Rider.