• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sierra Sidewinder weekend rolling rally Oct. 15-17

santacruzrider

SW-2021-SIdewinderLogo.jpg

The Sierra Sidewinder (previously known as High Sierra Sampler) is set for Friday, Oct. 15 through Sunday, Oct. 17 and this year will be using a rolling rally format with each night having us at a new location on either side of the Sierra Nevada. This year's trip will have us cresting 3 incredible Sierra passes (with a combined elevation of 26,674 feet) and taking in some epic roads through mountains, forests and volcanic calderas.

Discounted rooms are being held at our two overnight stops -- be sure to tell them you're with COG -- , so book them now (unreserved rooms will be released back to the motels in mid-Sept.) Details are on the events page, where you can also RSVP for the event.

Highlight of the planned route include:​
  • Warm up ride on The Little Dragon from Mariposa into Jamestown.​
  • Highway 108 over Sonora Pass (2nd highest in the Sierra Nevada, then down through Devil's Gate Pass.​
  • June Lake Loop​
  • Long Valley Caldera past Lake Crowley and Mono Lake​
  • Dinner and microbrews at Mountain View Barbeque in Walker​
  • Monitor Pass (8,314 feet) and Ebbett's Pass, with a breakfast stop at the Out West Cafe in Markleeville in between.
SW-2021-Sierra%20Sidewinder%20Route.png

SW-2021-Sierra%20Sidewinder%20Photo2.JPG

Questions - Check the events page!

Oh I am definitely down. Should know for certain later today and glad to make my reservations/ accommodations also. Most looking forward to getting acquainted with you all.😊

edit: thankyou santacruzrider😎
registered, will make accommodations later today for a single queen, traveling lite.

Last edited:
Already registered!
I'm glad to see Tioga Pass was taken off the itinerary. Beautiful but 45 mph and traffic is for cagers with family.
Can't wait.
Totally agree. Beautiful pass that everyone should probably do once, but it can turn into a slow roll with traffic. Plus, I think right now you need a reservation just to drive into Yosemite NP. Add in the entrance fee -- I'd much rather ride Sonora Pass twice!

See you out there.

Cause Dan made an awesome logo and is an awesome dude - there is a t-shirt available for this event.

COG Sierra Sidewinder Shirt

You order it direct and it is shipped wherever you want. There will be no shirts available at the event. The shirt comes directly to you.
If you want it in time to wear/take to the ride, I'd say order by Sept, 22
They will stay on sale until like a week after the event - in case you wanted to make sure the ride is worthy of a tshirt (BUT IT IS SO JUST ORDER NOW)

Be sure to log in if you aren't already, to get the COG Member price when you order.

You can ask SantaCruzRider to sign it at the event too. That's going to be a super valuable autograph some day!

Cause Dan made an awesome logo and is an awesome dude - there is a t-shirt available for this event.

You order it direct and it is shipped wherever you want. There will be no shirts available at the event. The shirt comes directly to you.
They will stay on sale until like a week after the event - in case you wanted to make sure the ride is worthy of a tshirt (BUT IT IS SO JUST ORDER NOW)

Be sure to log in if you aren't already, to get the COG Member price when you order.

You can ask SantaCruzRider to sign it at the event too. That's going to be a super valuable autograph some day!
Available now?

Yes we shall! Hey, and don’t wait to book your room. Remember last time they almost had you bunking in the hallway in Jamestown. And good news — all the rooms in the hotel now have their own bathrooms! No more rubbing elbows at the toothpaste bowl.
Hey there santacruzrider I hope I’m not the only one who makes his hotel reservations

thankyou for this!

Yep, and I guess now you both have to pack your own toothbrushes. Better bring the tank bag.
Thankyou for the T-shirt Dan that is most awesome. Ordered one with a long sleeve since I live in the Desert now. I look forward to wearing it for the ralley but still haven’t booked a room yet. I usually ride solo and don’t necessarily hafta be at the same hotel as the group (so long as stumbling distance from the bar or gathering) though and I’m all good🤪. Guess there is still plenty of time to reserve a room at one provided on the link (for a di$count, nice👍) though.
edit: booked my room both nites so totally in and looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Wandrng exaggerates — he’s responsible for creating these T-shirts and he took my chicken scratch logo to a whole new level. Go Team!

Faser: Glad to hear you are IN. Don’t wait too long on the room reservation as I think we nearly have as many registered riders as rooms I asked them to lock in. I’ve got a call in to them to see if they can hold the rest of the motel — but that’s probably just a few more rooms. There is another similar motel across the street — one of our scout riders stayed there on our tour through the route in late May and liked it. But after that, rooms within stumbling range become sparse in the little town of Walker.

For those sitting on the fence. Get Off it! It's not comfortable! This ride is a hoot and it is a ride! Dan does an awesome job making this happen. This is a epic SWCOG event. You can't miss these. Unmatched fun, scenery, history and the finest folks you will ever meet. I guarantee it. Matter of fact I volunteer to run the complaint department. Come see me :) Hugs are free of charge.

I have booked the rooms. I have ordered my shirt. I have not told my wife. I am ready!

The recommended hotels are booked up so I'll be at the Palm Hotel in Jamestown and the Toiyabe Motel in Walker.

That's great new that you'll be there Mr. Innocent -- we will see you up there.

You may want to double check your reservation dates. I just spoke to both the planned motels (Royal Carriage and Andruss) and they still have a few rooms available. But as long as your dates are right, you will be just across the street, so you're set.

For anyone still on the fence, and especially for those who RSVP'd to the event have not yet booked their rooms -- GET ON IT! The Royal Carriage only has 3 rooms and 2 cottages left open, and Andruss Motel similarly has just 5 rooms left -- and then we will have completely booked both venues.

Local reports are that the wildfire bypasses both these towns and skies are now clear in the immediate area. Fingers crosses that we ride in the gap between fire season and the first big snows!

Maybe I flubbed the dates (I would definitely do that), but just now:

Royal Carriage, Jamestown, CA
1631304517463.png

And Andruss in Walker
1631304423464.png
Maybe you need to call, though when I did that the other day, at one I left a message and didn't hear back, and at the other the cleaning lady answered and told me to use booking.com.

MYSTERY SOLVED! -- you can't book online because I had them both block out ALL of their rooms for our event. You just need to go old school and call them -- tell them you're with COG, and they will hook you up.

Sorry about any confusion.

Dan

When i called Andris the lady took my info and told me she would call me back, i stopped her and asked if my room
Was booked , yes you will get confirmation, never got it, called today and left a
Message we will see how it goes.

When i called Andris the lady took my info and told me she would call me back, i stopped her and asked if my room
Was booked , yes you will get confirmation, never got it, called today and left a
Maybe give the Andruss a day or two to sort it out. I arranged this with the owner (Steve) and he is holding the entire motel for us. (They booked out the whole motel for me without ever taking a credit card.) It's a family run motel, so they are a bit casual in their communication -- but I think you'll get taken care of.
Let me know if there is an issue and you don't get a confirmation.

Happened to me yesterday too. I did book the room in Jamestown.

Maybe give the Andruss a day or two to sort it out. I arranged this with the owner (Steve) and he is holding the entire motel for us. (They booked out the whole motel for me without ever taking a credit card.) It's a family run motel, so they are a bit casual in their communication -- but I think you'll get taken care of.
Let me know if there is an issue and you don't get a confirmation.
I booked (i think) a few weeks ago.

MOTEL RESERVATION REMINDER: Any riders planning to attend this event, I highly recommend you call now and reserve your rooms. We now have 15 riders who have RSVP'd, so depending on room sharing, we will soon have maxed out both of the event motels.

Note that to reserve a room at either the Royal Carriage in Jamestown or the Andruss Motel in Walker, you need to phone them and tell them you're with COG. (Don't go online, as their sites will just show that I have pre-booked every room for our group.)

And if you're late to the party and find that all the rooms are taken, two great alternatives are either next door or across the street: Jamestown Railtown Motel and in Walker, the Toiyabe Motel.

I have called twice to see if i can get a confirmation about the room i booked , have not got a answer or a return call concerning my concern, I guess when I get there if they don’t have a room available I’ll just keep on riding back on to home.

I’ll call them tomorrow to get it cleared up. Maybe we can get a bonus for your trouble — like a room next to the soda
Sheesh , i just looked at my reservation for Jamestown, bed type noted but not Guaranteed,man i got a feeling im gonna end up on a lumpy futon again 😂😂😂

Sheesh , i just looked at my reservation for Jamestown, bed type noted but not Guaranteed,man i got a feeling im gonna end up on a lumpy futon again 😂😂😂
Hell, last time I thought I was gonna sleep on a bench in the garden surrounded by pizza boxes and empty booze bottles. Wouldn't have been the first time.

Hey FTB530 - I just checked with Andruss Motel, and your room is confirmed. Turns out they were waiting to hear what flavor chocolates you wanted left on your pillow and whether you wanted the 2-person or 10-person in-room jacuzzi before confirming the reservation. I told them you were good with jalapeno — and you would spring for the big jacuzzi, plus extra room keys for the entire COG group!

Only 2 rooms left at the motel and we will have it booked out!

Last edited:
Hey FTB530 - I just checked with Andruss Motel, and your room is confirmed. Turns out they were waiting to hear what flavor chocolates you wanted left on your pillow and whether you wanted the 2-person or 10-person in-room jacuzzi before confirming the reservation. I told them you were good with jalapeno — and you would spring for the 4-person jacuzzi, plus extra room keys for the entire COG group!

Only 2 rooms left at the motel and we will have it booked out!
Dan I appreciate your efforts I don’t understand why they wouldn’t answer my phone calls maybe they remembered me or something by the phone number everything else you said sound pretty good to me too but call him back and tell him to include 135 pound redheaded female

Dan I appreciate your efforts I don’t understand why they wouldn’t answer my phone calls maybe they remembered me or something by the phone number everything else you said sound pretty good to me too but call him back and tell him to include 135 pound redheaded female
What is the appropriate swim wear for the hot tub? Need to know so I can break the rules.

What is the appropriate swim wear for the hot tub? Need to know so I can break the rules.
Ill probably be bringing my speedo
Edit yea boy i found the speedo, it is a little bit smaller then it used to be but i guess we wont have to worry about it falling off 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Unfortunately I’m out, not gonna be able to make it. If anybody needs my reservations I’ll notify the staff at the hotel np if necessary as I booked early for a room on both nights at the suggested hotels.

Unfortunately I’m out, not gonna be able to make it. If anybody needs my reservations I’ll notify the staff at the hotel np if necessary as I booked early for a room on both nights at the suggested hotels.
Well that's a bummer.

Last edited:
My little group leaving Newhall Friday morning are planning to meet up in Mariposa.
But first we are stopping near Auberry to visit where I had a deer strike several years ago.
I had lost my extra pannier key and would like to find it.

No guarantees, but the forecast is improving a bit from when I lpoked last week. It’s now looking like some chance of precip this coming weekend, but then warming trend to highs in mid-60s and single digit chance of snow the weekend we ride.

With any luck, we will have clear roads, with some sprinkling of snow on the peaks to make your photos looks more impressive! But you may want to bring your warmer riding gloves!

I sent faser422769 a message. Anybody know how I can get these reservations?

Okay, I've made a reservation for Saturday night. Got the last room. Friday night hotel is full up. She said she might open up a reservation by Monday night. In the event that nothing opens up, anybody got a spare bed for Friday night? I'm clean and I don't poop on the floor. Hartman will confirm this.

Okay, I've made a reservation for Saturday night. Got the last room. Friday night hotel is full up. She said she might open up a reservation by Monday night. In the event that nothing opens up, anybody got a spare bed for Friday night? I'm clean and I don't poop on the floor. Hartman will confirm this.
Mark, I think we (Jack and I) have an extra bed in our room and you are welcome to use it. I will double check...pooping and being dirty are ok too. :LOL: ;)

Last edited:
I can confirm Mr. Owen cleans up his own swirlies. And does bring the peat bog boozes. CU there.

Just for a quick reminder to those coming to start the ride in Mariposa on Friday afternoon - we want to be kickstands-up at 3PM if possible.

Saturday we'll be kickstands-up close to 8AM in Jamestown. We have riding, food and scenery to enjoy.

Weather for the weekend ride is gonna be awesome!

All passes are open.

I hope you will welcome a last minute entry. I will come down from Oregon and plan to be in Mariposa in time for kick stands up.
Due to the last minute plan I will be in different motels but only a few blocks away both nights.
I just have to get away from work before my head explodes.

I hope you will welcome a last minute entry. I will come down from Oregon and plan to be in Mariposa in time for kick stands up.
Due to the last minute plan I will be in different motels but only a few blocks away both nights.
I just have to get away from work before my head explodes.
Woot woot -- you are most welcome to join, and we will be watching for you. Email sent with some details, but as long as you find us in Mariposa or Jamestown, we will get if figured out.

See you tomorrow.

Just made in home.
Starting home at 7:30 this morning may have seemed drastic but the was no traffic and the pass was memorable. Just a shame there was high winds on the 5 down to LA.
Can't wait til next time but let's just pass on the Royal Carriage Hotel!

A huge thanks to Dan for putting on another great event. The roads were a blast. Food was top notch. And the people were the best. Awesome to see and meet everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20211015_152307.jpg
    IMG_20211015_152307.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20211016_103909.jpg
    IMG_20211016_103909.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20211017_111427.jpg
    IMG_20211017_111427.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 134
Just made in home.
Starting home at 7:30 this morning may have seemed drastic but the was no traffic and the pass was memorable. Just a shame there was high winds on the 5 down to LA.
Can't wait til next time but let's just pass on the Royal Carriage Hotel!
Glad you guys got out early and avoided traffic. I'll confirm with the Carriage Hotel that you get a DELUXE room next year! :ROFLMAO: Toilet, shower -- AND a water connection!

Fantastic riding, roads, weather and riders! Thank you to all that came to this Meet and Greet and those that could not travel out you missed a very fun set of roads! Thank you Dan for putting this together! I think we would all agree that we cannot wait to ride the passes again next year!! Here are a few pictures of our adventure. Picture 1 Highway 49 Mariposa, Ca. Picture 2 Ebbetts Pass on Highway 4. Picture 3 Sonora Pass Highway 108. Me hugging the sign! Picture 4 Rest stop!

Attachments

• Sierra 1.jpg
    Sierra 1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Sierra 2.jpg
    Sierra 2.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Sierra 3.JPG
    Sierra 3.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Sierra 4.jpg
    Sierra 4.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 124
450 miles from my house to Mariposa but I got there on time. Great bunch of guys but the Hideout Saloon was another level of society. Nice meal in Jamestown that night and I was around the corner in the Railtown Motel with a good room. The next day I learned not to trust anybody with an FJR who says " Follow me, I have the loop in my GPS", unless you like gravel.
After breakfast in Markleville I headed North through Reno, Susanville and into the Rogue Valley with heavy rain the last 40 miles. Home at 5:00PM.
Great bunch of guys and I loved the mountain passes.

Attachments

• I have the route in my GPS.jpeg
    I have the route in my GPS.jpeg
    688.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Mybike is getting dirty.jpeg
    Mybike is getting dirty.jpeg
    646.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Breakfast and adios.jpeg
    Breakfast and adios.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 131
Against all appearances I had a fantastic time seeing everyone again. The roads were epic, the fellowship even more so. Thank you all for the help and concern. It really means alot. Dan, Keith another fantastic job on an epic event. Keep it up. As I have said before, these are some of the finest people I have ever met. Bar none. I am very proud to claim you all as friends. Sincerely. Very very happy I found this club. CU in Laughlin.