• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sliding Windshield brace mod

andydude

Looking for the post on the mod of the windshield sliding brace . Cutting out a slot in the metal piece that the brace slides on .

Use a 3mm disc in angle grinder then a file to allow a 3/16" bolt to slide freely. I drilled and tapped into that rib.

screenslot1.jpgscreenslot2.jpgscreenslot3.jpgscreenslot4.jpg

It changes nothing in the operation of the mechanism. It simply eliminates the risk of the sliding bracket breaking.

In advance, sorry for the stupid question. How does it eliminate the chance of the sliding bracket breaking? I jump at any modification I can do to prevent my bike from having issues during a precious planed vacation ride. I appreciate any responses.

Examine yours and compare it to the pix above. You will then see and be as smart as me :p which could be a worry. :D

Use a 3mm disc in angle grinder then a file to allow a 3/16" bolt to slide freely. I drilled and tapped into that rib.

View attachment 27730View attachment 27731View attachment 27732View attachment 27733
Hi Freddy. So, on the way home from work, I hit a 2" bump (courtesy of CalTrans) in the road and it snapped off the part of the bracket that rides the rail. So I am not sure exactly what it looked like before it broke off. Is this assembly fitted with perhaps a teflon slider along the top and bottom of the rail? It kind of looks like it in your pictures. So my situation is a bit different than the fix shown in your images. But I think I can fix it. I will not pay Kawasaki to buy a whole new assembly at $700+. I will drill a hole in the other remaining part of my bracket and bolt a chunk of steel in place of the part that broke off. I will raid tap Plastics for some Teflon to fashion into a bumper for it to slide on. And with this fix, I may well mill out the rail and drill another hole in my new steel piece to put the bolt for it to ride on. Another question for you. Does you bolt ride on the steel rail?

Can't figure out how to attach an image. It wants a URL.
Anyway, in looking at this bracket, I sent some photos to Murphs as he expressed interest in the problem. But I am thinking of creating my own bracket out of perhaps 1/4" steel perhaps welded in a T shape with some mild bends and use the broken bracket I have as a template. Not sure why Kawasaki would fashion a bracket out of that cheap metal with such a small area absorbing a lot of stress - poor design. And then they won't sell you a replacement bracket when their poor design fails. Just me venting.

It's a plastic glide I think, not teflon. The bolt goes thru the steel slide guide
I was figuring Teflon as it will slide and last longer than plastic. But I may not get the strength from Teflon that plastic would offer. We will see what I can fashion.

Does anybody know if any specifications have been drawn for this bracket? Murphskits is interested in possibly making a better one. It would be great if someone could send him an old broken one so he could see it. I fixed mine last night or I might consider it. I would pay to get a better bracket to remove the worry of this breaking again on a trip. I also do not believe the assembly from Kawasaki is worth $744.

OFF TOPIC
Kaw pricing - I'm fixing a friend's VN1600 that hadn't been ridden to a coupla years and won't start - rusted tank, condensation in fuel, dead fuel pump. A$953 for a new pump so off to ebay - $250.

I fixed mine like this. I was lucky I still had the plastic guide .cut the slot, drilled for a # 10 fine thread taped the bracket and put a nylock nut on top so I could adjust the crush on the plastic 6,000 miles playing with it no problems.

My 2010 broke 1 week before the extended warranty ran out so it was replaced by Kawasaki. the part number for the assembly changed in 2015 and the replacement was the newer one. they looked identical to the eye (but the broken piece on mine was lost on the road somewhere. I did this mod to strengthen it. I have since heard that the part number changed as Kawasaki strengthened the original design due the the added weing/wind resistance of the vent that was added in 2015.
Mines be fine ever since even with the tall Cee Bailey and extension I have on.