• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Slow helo or a faster C-14

ursharkfuel

God got one thing wrong: Stupid should be PAINFUL!
I raced a medical copter up the mountain from my local airport and got there in time enough to snap a couple pics of my Silver Rocket minutes before they touched down. We fired up our engines at the same time, and they of course had to do their preflight checks and get clearance to take off and land. It's about 30 mile trip for me with some winding roads, and about 17 mile direct flight for them as the crow flies. This is not the same facility where I work because it is closer to my local airport, my facility is 48 road miles away and about 35 by helo.

They claimed it took them a while to get clearance to leave and to land. I'm not buying it, neither field has traffic control. Oh, and Ted, it was a dirt slow RED helo for the record. Coincidentally, the medical facility where I work has stopped using this particular helo company because they were slow to respond when we needed an evac. Some say their airships do not work for our elevations and they often have to burn off fuel to make take off weight at our altitude with a patient.

Attachments

• 20210728_143720[1].jpg
    20210728_143720[1].jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 20210728_143725[1].jpg
    20210728_143725[1].jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 120
Well the Helos can't keep up with the MotoGP bikes (or F1 cars) that they are covering.

This true. While they are aircraft, helicopters are not known for their speed. But they had the advantage of a shorter distance and no obstacles, unlike me with stops, other vehicles, switchback mountain roads and such.

But in the end, Connie got it done!

Imagine what would have happened, if they knew it was a race.. <evil grin>
(thinkaboutit)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Red Rules... šŸ¤ 

It was a RED helo, so I am sure they didn't know a great deal about anything involving high performance, but they did know we were racing. I'm pretty sure they "assumed" they would easily win so they took their time. Imagine their surprise then they saw my Connie on the Helipad. That still makes me laugh because it was rapid fire excuses after the rotor stopped spinning......LMAO

Good point, but RED still rules..

Ride safe, Ted

Since you're such a great guy I can look past your faulty beliefs. If going slow works for you, then owning a Red sled is just your thing. We will smile and wave as you putt on by. You know come to think of it, the last new moped I ever saw was red Puch. And it would barely go above a walking pace on the island where I grew up. We told the tourists it would be faster to pedal it than try to get around on the lame motor they had.

I found a picture online of one and it bears a striking resemblance to your Connie. But it is sad to keep all that potential caged by that horribly slow shell.
1629157602773.jpeg