• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?

Just had 2 new Dunlops installed . Wow ! What a dif . I could feel the differance just by rilling the bike forward from the bike shop . Bike also feels lighter now . Super smooth inthe city . Can't wait to get on the highway ...

:great:

So I went on the highway and did a run on my new dunlops . Fricken bike is a death trap from 40 mph to 70 mph . After that the speed wobble stops///mostly  . Just wasted $600 bucks . Tire store place said they were the best tires for my bike ... Not a happy camper

:-[

Sorry Fast Rocket.
                            It pays to do the research. I did it for my "03" c-10 and I did it for my tires. I am very happy with a matched set of Pirelli Sport Demons at 2300 miles on them. I had Dunlops on my old Vulcan and they were crap. They came on my Concours and were crap. My buddy has them on his Harley (new) and he is replacing them. They slide all over and forget the bridge grates.

FastRocket said:
So I went on the highway and did a run on my new dunlops . Fricken bike is a death trap from 40 mph to 70 mph . After that the speed wobble stops///mostly  . Just wasted $600 bucks . Tire store place said they were the best tires for my bike ... Not a happy camper  :-[
The OEM Dunlops have never really gotten rave reviews. "a death trap from 40 mph to 70 mph" Did they balance them properly?

My "new to me" 1995 C-10 came with a freshly installed set of stock Dunlops.  I would not say that they are the most confidence inspiring tire I have ridden on, but I don't have any feeling of a "death trap".  The bike handles the turns with no issue.  Tends to be a little squirmmy on the interstate, but not really noticable until above 70MPH.  I am not certain it is a tire issue, or the fairing and all the frontal area moving thru turbulent air.  I would take the bike back to the tire shop and have them fix it.  I know there are better tire choices out there, but nothing about the Dunlops strike me as being what you describe. 

Just put 6k on a set of the "original Dunlop's" can't say I had any problems with them, putting new skins on shortly however PR3 and 777 shinko, sure disappointing that "radial" tires on a bike do not seem to mean longer life as on a car, or is this more because of the size of our tires, could Kawasaki have done a better job on the C10 original tires size?  Well, can't wait to see how the new combination will handle, hope I get a bit more mileage out of that combination

VisionDonNebr said:
Just put 6k on a set of the "original Dunlop's" can't say I had any problems with them, putting new skins on shortly however PR3 and 777 shinko, sure disappointing that "radial" tires on a bike do not seem to mean longer life as on a car, or is this more because of the size of our tires, could Kawasaki have done a better job on the C10 original tires size?  Well, can't wait to see how the new combination will handle, hope I get a bit more mileage out of that combination

Yer really gonna like that new combo. I'm on my fifth or sixth set of PR3 and 777's

nic1965 said:
nic1965 said:
I finally decided to try Michelin.
PilotRoad3 and Commander 2 in stock sizes.
So that's a premium sport touring front radial / reinforced cruiser rear bias combo.
Excited to be rid of Metzler ME junk. Nervous about this expensive choice.
Updates to follow.
Tires are mounted and look great, PR3 front required NO weights to balance, Commander2 rear needed 3 chicklets.
no dots on the tires to line up valve stems, the shop foreman said the better made tires don't need them anymore...the front tire will loose a few pounds of air between rides, might have to have it remounted,,,
After 2 short rides and 2 afternoon rides, I'm happy. Bike handles great with no wobble or headshake. Have not been out in the rain yet tho.
Okay, I had some down time, blew a fork seal and could not find fork bushings...they where right under my nose...race tech makes them, I bought mine at Canada's Motorcycle. Anyways the front wheel is back on.
The PR3 is holding it's pressure now, only had to adjust twice.
Big Red Connie is fast and smooth on the back roads. I am so happy with the bike's handling and traction. My decel wobble is gone , I even sat up straight for a stretch and shocked myself by going a bit "no handed".
Now here is the problem...I was riding in the rain to Port Renfrew BC , that is a curvy coastal road, bridges are 1 lane...the rear Commander 2 was easy to break loose accelerating out of corners. I dialed it back a notch just to be safe. I guess i will be taking it easy in the rain till rear tire is worn enough to swap out. I have been hearing good things about Shinko Journey SE890. I did not choose this radial tire before because it's closest size is 160/80R16, but I have read that this size works well on a C10.
Once again the PR3 & Commando 2 combo is great on dry or damp roads, remarkably better than my old Marathons. A little touchy in the rain tho.

nic1965 said:
nic1965 said:
nic1965 said:
I finally decided to try Michelin.
PilotRoad3 and Commander 2 in stock sizes.
So that's a premium sport touring front radial / reinforced cruiser rear bias combo.
Excited to be rid of Metzler ME junk. Nervous about this expensive choice.
Updates to follow.
Tires are mounted and look great, PR3 front required NO weights to balance, Commander2 rear needed 3 chicklets.
no dots on the tires to line up valve stems, the shop foreman said the better made tires don't need them anymore...the front tire will loose a few pounds of air between rides, might have to have it remounted,,,
After 2 short rides and 2 afternoon rides, I'm happy. Bike handles great with no wobble or headshake. Have not been out in the rain yet tho.
Okay, I had some down time, blew a fork seal and could not find fork bushings...they where right under my nose...race tech makes them, I bought mine at Canada's Motorcycle. Anyways the front wheel is back on.
The PR3 is holding it's pressure now, only had to adjust twice.
Big Red Connie is fast and smooth on the back roads. I am so happy with the bike's handling and traction. My decel wobble is gone , I even sat up straight for a stretch and shocked myself by going a bit "no handed".
Now here is the problem...I was riding in the rain to Port Renfrew BC , that is a curvy coastal road, bridges are 1 lane...the rear Commander 2 was easy to break loose accelerating out of corners. I dialed it back a notch just to be safe. I guess i will be taking it easy in the rain till rear tire is worn enough to swap out. I have been hearing good things about Shinko Journey SE890. I did not choose this radial tire before because it's closest size is 160/80R16, but I have read that this size works well on a C10.
Once again the PR3 & Commando 2 combo is great on dry or damp roads, remarkably better than my old Marathons. A little touchy in the rain tho.

I had the same issue with theCommanderII. I didn't wait for it to wear out, I pulled it almost immediately after slipping out on wet corners. I followed that with two Shinko 890's that were out of round enough to bounce the bike. Went to Shinko777 in stock size, happy camper. It is slightly larger in diameter than other 150 tires, I lost about 200 rpm at 80mph.

I did pester Michelin about the lack of traction on the Commander, they send me a refund check for the full price of the tire once I showed them that I destroyed the tire.

Does anyone have experience with the Bridgestone Exedra Max?  P/O had them on my 2001. Seem to handle well enough, but I have nothing to compare them to. 120/70ZR18 front, 150/80/B16 rear. Probably due to replace at the end of the riding season.  Bike has 17750 miles, so I assume it's her second set after factory Dunlops. Don't have a reason to change brands, but no reason not to. Any thoughts?

MichiGlenn said:
Does anyone have experience with the Bridgestone Exedra Max?  P/O had them on my 2001. Seem to handle well enough, but I have nothing to compare them to. 120/70ZR18 front, 150/80/B16 rear. Probably due to replace at the end of the riding season.  Bike has 17750 miles, so I assume it's her second set after factory Dunlops. Don't have a reason to change brands, but no reason not to. Any thoughts?

One thought, use a 110/80x18 up front. It matches up with the rim size better than a 120/70. And they handle much better than a 120 or 130/70. Pretty much everybody makes decent rubber in this size. I am on my fifth or sixth Michelin PR3. I tried a Pirelli Angel GT up front, loved the tire but it made a bit of a weird howl, not loud, just there. I'v also heard good on the Dunlop Roadsmart. I'm not a fan of Avon(recent history reinforced that feeling) but some folks like 'em.

ACISROC said:
  Sorry Fast Rocket.
                            It pays to do the research. I did it for my "03" c-10 and I did it for my tires. I am very happy with a matched set of Pirelli Sport Demons at 2300 miles on them. I had Dunlops on my old Vulcan and they were crap. They came on my Concours and were crap. My buddy has them on his Harley (new) and he is replacing them. They slide all over and forget the bridge grates.

Still liking the SD's?
I'm probably 2000 miles from the wear bars on my Wing sized E3's but the date code says I'm riding 9 yr old tires. I saw the Sport Demon's on sale  at BikeBandit for $234.94 shipped so decided a switch was in order. Seems like it's hard to go wrong at that price.

mnbikeguy,
                  Yes I am still loving them. That is a great price. My buddy is going to put them on his 1200 Nightster Harley. but he rides his like a sportbike LOL

mnbikeguy is cool  :great: :great: :great:

ACISROC said:
mnbikeguy,
                  Yes I am still loving them. That is a great price. My buddy is going to put them on his 1200 Nightster Harley. but he rides his like a sportbike LOL

mnbikeguy is cool  :great: :great: :great:

Cool. Mounted and balanced them yesterday and rode to work per usual. Still taking it gentle until they are scuffed in before I lean too hard. Going back to stock size from the wing size sure makes a difference! lightened up the handling pretty significantly.

ACISROC is cool  :great: :great: :great:

connie_rider said:
Ok, didn't see this in the previous notes. Are the Pirelli Sport Demons (in stock sizes) Radial tires?

Ride safe,Ted

They are not radial tires but they do come in stock sizes. I've put a couple of hundred on them already both slab and some twisties. They exceed my expectations at this point. Only time will tell on miles but assuming I get even 5000 from a set I'll be happy at the price point since I mount and balance them myself. If I was paying $80 to have them mounted and balanced I'd want more miles.

+1^^^^^
              I got 2500 on mine and expect at least that with the hooligan riding I do sometimes. I am impressed with mine, still chicken strips on them. :beerchug:

FastRocket said:
So I went on the highway and did a run on my new dunlops . Fricken bike is a death trap from 40 mph to 70 mph . After that the speed wobble stops///mostly  . Just wasted $600 bucks . Tire store place said they were the best tires for my bike ... Not a happy camper

:-[

Spoke to soon . Got it all figured out . Working amazingly well now . Tire pressures were incorrect and adjusted front forks and reduced rear shock to #2 instead of 3 . Very nice to ride now ...

;)

I had luck out COOPER TIRE just came out with new radials for c 10.  16 in rear, last sept 2014 not a lot of dealers have them probably all by now.  ordered from west coast deliver to dealer in kileen tx,  to put on my 1995 connie.  in front AVON AV65 STORM 3D XM ( EXTRA MILAGE) 110/80ZR18  STICK VERY GOOD ALL WX  HAD UP TO 115 MPH FOR OVER AN HOUR.  ON REAR  AVON AV66 STORM 3D XM  150/80/ZR16.  ABOUT 375.00 FOR BOTH.  SO FOR NO WEAR SHOWING 5000+ MILES!  GREAT RADIAL CAN REALLY DRAG PEGS IF YOU WANT.

I have had a set of Shinko 890 Journey tires for a little over 5000 miles and I like them a lot. Got them from Bike Bandit. If they last like they are advertised I will get another set when it comes time to replace them.

I just changed my front to a 17" (02 C10) and put a 120 70 17 Dunlop Qualifier on, don't know about the mileage but it handles and rides very well. The best part is the smaller diameter lowers the bike so I can put both feet on the ground. I think I'll keep the 16" on the rear, I do want to raise it back up. ;) Happy Trails!

I did look through the past posts in this thread but unless I missed it the tires I am looking at have not been mentioned. The tires honestly is where I want to start as it would seem I am going to have to rebuild my ZG1000 from the frame out to be safe.

Anyway, Looking at the Pirelli Angel GT Sport Touring for front and back.

Any feedback?

HaVoC said:
I did look through the past posts in this thread but unless I missed it the tires I am looking at have not been mentioned. The tires honestly is where I want to start as it would seem I am going to have to rebuild my ZG1000 from the frame out to be safe.

Any feedback?
Unless you do the Mean Streak rear wheel replacement you will find a very limited choice.

As far as the front you are somewhat better off. A lot of folks have found that the 110/80 is a better tire for the front. Me included. This is assuming you have a '94 or newer. If you do the research you will find that the Connie's rim is the perfect match to that size.

I've run an Angel up there. It worked perfectly except it had a bit of highway noise that was evident without hearing protection, i.e. very short rides. I've since gone back to a Michelin PR3.  I'm on my sixth or seventh one.

For the rear, I've settled into a Shinko777, a bias tire. I've tried Michelin Commander 2, too slippery on wet corners, Shinko891  Journey, two in a row out of round, and Avon(venom or cobra), let's just not go there.

This combo works for me. Good for 10/12000 miles, YMMV. ;)

:beerchug:

HaVoC said:

Any feedback?

Hi HaVoC, I run a matched set of Pirelli Diablos, They are great all weather grip, but a softer compound so may not last as long as others. I have about 3500 miles on them and looking great so far with lots of twisties and high speed runs on them.

HaVoC is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

after reading dozens (or hundreds) of tire posts on here last summer both me and my C10 riding neighbor have switched to PR3 fronts and 777 rears.  Working great for the first 3000 miles I've got on them and they're looking to last way longer than the stock Dunlops.

Bob said:
after reading dozens (or hundreds) of tire posts on here last summer both me and my C10 riding neighbor have switched to PR3 fronts and 777 rears.  Working great for the first 3000 miles I've got on them and they're looking to last way longer than the stock Dunlops.

+1 I have the same combo and like it a lot!

I was riding Avon Storms on the front with the Azaro on the rear and I really liked the handling of those tires. They did have some downsides, but I thought the grip and handling were worth putting up with them. I got stuck and needed some tires quickly and the only thing available were Dunlops. I'm starting to ride again after a hiatus and the Dunlap rear is now gone (thankfully) and even though the front has some meat left, I don't like it and I'm ready to chunk it.

Unfortunately I find the Azaro is no longer available. I see several using the Michelin PR3 and 777 combo and I've seen reference to a PR3 and an Avon AM 26 Road Rider Combo. Of course, the Road rider is also available with a nose tire in our size and the new Storm can be had with our sizes front and back. Is there anyone who has ridden any of the combos that could make a comparison with my old Storm/Azaro combination? I do really like the Michelin's and I really wish that made a PR3/4 in a 16.

Thank, Mike

The successor to the Storm/Azaro is the new Storm 3D. Available as a matched set of radials in correct Concours sizes. Most recommend using a 110 front instead of the 120.

Riding a matched set of Pirelli Sport Demons right now in stock sizes (110 front) on my 2005. There seems to be a spot where it feels like I am "falling in" to the turn, a little bit of a strange wobble at 50-45MPH when decelerating I believe is due to the wavy line down the middle, and they are starting to cup fairly early causing a groaning noise when turning.

They're okay, but certainly I prefer the 777/PR3 combination without a doubt and the cost was roughly the same.

I haven't tried the new storm 3D based on cost. I was a storm/azaro guy before, but after trying the 777/PR3 combination I think I have found a winner for me.

YMMV

Thanks for the response. I went ahead and ordered a set of the Storm 3's which is what I was leaning towards anyway. The thing that surprised me was the 15000 mile warranty. I was afraid it might be giving up too much traction.

I found the thread discussing the Storm 3's and I guess I'll find out how I like them. I did go with the 110 on the front. Just before I posted, I saw Ed Macs' reply. I think that will be my back up position.

Well, for starters, the OEM Dunlops were designed over 30 years ago.
Would you be satisfied with a 30 year old computer?
Tires ain't Scotch, newer designs are more betterer.

Well, my bike was designed over 30 years ago and it still runs and rides so that kind of shoots a hole in that argument. Are there newer, better bikes? Sure, but they cost more and might not really give that much more for the money. Maybe I like the old stuff. Yes, I'm being a bit of a smart alleck, but turn about is fair play.  :) Seriously, I get your point, but they don't exactly make matching sets for this bike in those new fangled tires and I don't want to have to learn the history of tire manufacturing to be able to buy tires for my bike. It's bad enough reading through the arguments about radials versus bias ply tires. All I was really asking is do those tires blow out, wear out, or not hold the road. I want the trifecta. Tires that last forever, hold the road like glue and handle like a dream, and all for next to nothing. :))

In that case, get a Bridgestone BT-023 110-80/18 for the front and a Shinko 777 150-80/16 for the rear.
Less than $200 for the set, will last over 10K miles, are delightfuly nimble and will never surprise you in a bad way.

Probably already mentioned, the Shinko 011 Verge front and 777 rear combo is a good economy choice too.

Thank you guys. That's why I love this group. Always looking out for the poor ignorant bastard without a clue.... ;) I love my bike, but I hate having to buy tires for it. You just made that a lot easier.

Steveman said:
Why don't people like the Dunlops for this bike? I'm new to the bike and haven't had any problems with mine. Just wondering.

I can't remember that I had any particular trouble out of the rear. It's not a sticky as the Avons, but sticks much better to me than the Metzler. The front tire seems to wear oddly. It's one of the worst tires available today on grooved pavement and I think it tends to exacerbate head shake problems, particularly when it's below 50%. I will go out of my way to avoid the Dunlops.

Put a set of Avon Storm 3d's on last year as soon as they we're available and they we're worth the wait! Ive used Avon's in the past on my Yamaha 850 and was very happy with traction and mileage. Add me to the list of Dunlop hatters, I couldn't wait to burn off my last set. Anyway, the Storm 3D is made for bikes with our size wheels, radial ply and my bike handles so much better now than it ever has.

P.S. I would love to put a set of PR3's on if they would make a matched set for our bike size, Michelin makes great tires.

Rev Ryder said:
I have no Venom experience.  Storm, Azaro, D205, OEM,Macadam X100, Pilot Road, Pilot Power, Pirelli Sport Demons, and now Roadsmarts in 17".  I've run these tires only on the C10.
I am running the 17" Roadsmart 2 as well. Great tires. The rear tread depth is 8/32 new. Most other brands are only 5/32.

Pbfoot said:
Rev Ryder said:
I have no Venom experience.  Storm, Azaro, D205, OEM,Macadam X100, Pilot Road, Pilot Power, Pirelli Sport Demons, and now Roadsmarts in 17".  I've run these tires only on the C10.
I am running the 17" Roadsmart 2 as well. Great tires. The rear tread depth is 8/32 new. Most other brands are only 5/32.
I found the Roadsmart to be the best Dunflop tire I ever rode upon...
I've sin a gone back to Avons and Michelins. I'd rate the Roadsmart and the new Avon XM tires about "equals".  Alas, neither truly satisfies my need for grip (or at least the feel of it) though.  The feedback is not confidence building. Wow! 5 year old post. LOL

I also need new tread.
Local tire guy says he can get me the Avon X ??? Around 400$
Seems pricey. Just need to know if they are worth it.
I have a Z1000 for fun and a Goldwing for two-up
Use the Concours for daily rider.
Looking for a long wear tire that won't toss me down the road.

Daemon, read thru the discussion.
If you want them for a daily driver, AND longer mileage, get one the belted tires that are listed.

The belted can probably double the mileage of the radials and cost a lot less..

Ride safe, Ted

IMHO, YES.
I get most of ...y skins from AMT because they have done me a good job for ten years and usually are the best or really close on price. Once in a while someone out "sales" them,but they are always competitive on the tires buy.

I just replaced a Michelin Commander 2 that was down to .1" rubber remaining until the cords that gave me 31K miles! The Commander 2 was the best rear tar I've ever tried, no major flat spot in the center with mostly highway miles, amazing!
There's just no way the Shinko 777 that replaced it will last that long.
I love Michelin tars, I just hate paying for them.
I ran a 777 about 6-7yrs ago but I can't remember if I liked it or not.  :??:

Bob said:

Well, after reading a zillion posts, surfing the Internet until I got seasick and looking through old records, I just ordered the PR3 from BikeBandit and will buy the Shinko 777 from the Bike Stop in Cleveland, GA, and have them put both tires on. :great:

Just don't have the heart to buy another set of Avon 3D-XMs after seeing the steel belts exposed on the rear after 6,500 miles. :truce:

I'll let you know next year how it worked out.

Just hard to disagree with such a strong recommendation from SISF. :)

Thanks,

RJSutherland

Hey guys ...just got a 06 conine and she needs rubber bad.

I'm not looking for anything imparticular. My biggest  concern is cost. What's the best bang for buck setup for my 06? Bt-45s?

Is going with the 110 80 18 on the front better then the stock size? Doesn't destort like factory size?

Is the factory rear size good to stick with? 150 80 16

Thanks for any input.

The Commander works very well until you try to give it just a little, emphasis little, gas on a wet corner. At least that was my experience.

At the Bike Stop in Cleveland, GA, having Ed install new tires.  Michelin radial PR on the front and the Shinko 777 bias on the rear.  Hate mixing radial/bias tires.

Double-checked this thread.  This seems to be the most popular combo.  A bit concerned about how the bike will handle in the mountains.

The 777 now comes with a reflective sidewall imbedded into it. Shows up black during the day but reflects white at night when lights shine on it. Nice little safety bit.

Even though there's a gazillion replies to this topic, I've gotta add my two cents. After hitting an icy curve with Michelin Commander 2's, dumping my bike in February, settling up with the insurance company and fixing all of the plastics (unbelievably expensive!), I decided it was time for some new tires. I removed the Michelin Commander II's, which weren't bad, but wanted to go with radials. I put on Avon Storm 3-D XM's and experienced significant "Ball-Bearing Dance" syndrome (look it up on this forum - it's for real!). I could rationalize fear of ice since I had just experienced it ... but never fear of the tires. That was ridiculous. I don't care how few tire manufacturers there are out there that produce radial tires for this bike. Supporting them at the cost of injury or even life is not worth it.

So I invested in the Mean Streak 17" conversion (see tech pages) and put Michelin PR4 GT's on (170/60 ZR 17 on the rear, stock size on the front). HOLY COW!!! IMHO, if not the best, this is for sure one of the best performance mods to be done on this bike! A little spendy? Yeah - especially since I pulled off the Avon's with less than a thousand miles on them. But what is your safety worth? Oh, and what is the fun of the added performance worth? In conjunction, I live in Oregon - it rains A LOT(!!!) here. The PR4's are made for that. I only find it unfortunate that these are not out there yet for my GL1800 Goldwing, 'cause I'd put them on today!

debugjaws said:
... I put on Avon Storm 3-D XM's and experienced significant "Ball-Bearing Dance" syndrome (look it up on this forum - it's for real!).....

What size did you have on the front with the Storm 3d's? Good luck with the mean streak. I'd like to do it, but I don't think I'll ever be able to.

Reporting back on the Pirelli Sport Demons I put on last November. Stock sizes.

Tires were never that great and as they wore, the bike handled more and more like a truck. I got just about 5000 miles on the set and was worried about all kinds of problems with my suspension until I put new tires on.

Bike handles like a dream again, I forgot how easy this bike is to throw around when it's handling properly.

Shinko 777HD/Mich PR3 Combo. After trying Avons, Pirelli and this combination, we have a winner for sure. At least until the MeanStreak conversion happens...

MBrew said:
debugjaws said:
... I put on Avon Storm 3-D XM's and experienced significant "Ball-Bearing Dance" syndrome (look it up on this forum - it's for real!).....

What size did you have on the front with the Storm 3d's? Good luck with the mean streak. I'd like to do it, but I don't think I'll ever be able to.

120/70ZR18. Bike handles great now, even through the squiggly rubberized junk they put on roads to seal the cracks.

The C10 came with radials, so if you want it to be like it came from the factory get radials front and back. Or you could go Bias front and back. They both have their own characteristics. Study that to know. I have used Avons. There good but where out kind of faster than some but stick good in the curves. I made the mistake of buying a bias rear and having a radial front which is a no-no. I didn't know that when I did it. From what I have learned you can go bias front/radial rear and that is supposedly OK. I have it in reverse radial front and bias rear, and I corner hard and I haven't noticed any difference. On top of that just Sunday I noticed  that the shop that installed my front tire installed the front one backwards meaning the arrow does not go forward. That would have bad effects in the rain which I avoid whenever I can.

Garrett said:
just Sunday I noticed  that the shop that installed my front tire installed the front one backwards meaning the arrow does not go forward. That would have bad effects in the rain which I avoid whenever I can.

has very little to do with rain... it's about strength of the belt windings, and which direction offers the correct transfer of energy to the road, without damaging the casing...
so in the case of front tire directional notation, it's about transferring grip during hard braking...while limiting stress on the belts..preventing them from loosening in the molded rubber, and failing. Also to reduce heat buildup.
sooo, just how long/how many miles have you had it like that?
I'd suggest you attend to that and have it fixed right now.
ride safe...

Garrett said:
The C10 came with radials, so if you want it to be like it came from the factory get radials front and back. Or you could go Bias front and back. They both have their own characteristics. Study that to know. I have used Avons. There good but where out kind of faster than some but stick good in the curves. I made the mistake of buying a bias rear and having a radial front which is a no-no. I didn't know that when I did it. From what I have learned you can go bias front/radial rear and that is supposedly OK. I have it in reverse radial front and bias rear, and I corner hard and I haven't noticed any difference. On top of that just Sunday I noticed  that the shop that installed my front tire installed the front one backwards meaning the arrow does not go forward. That would have bad effects in the rain which I avoid whenever I can.

Funny, I'm on about my tenth bias rear and eighth radial front.  I don't seem to have handling issues. Put the bike on a line for a corner, it stays there. No drama. And I do drag a peg from time to time. Just don't run a 120/70 on he front, it's too big. A 110/80 fits perfectly.

yeah Steve, but you put your tires on with the arrows going the correct direction.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :lol_hitting: :bravo_2: :pokestick: :85: :08: :a012:

I have run and others too with no issues and it handles real well.  Radial in front and bias on the rear. 
There is nothing wrong with that setup.

debugjaws said:
MBrew said:
debugjaws said:

120/70ZR18. Bike handles great now, even through the squiggly rubberized junk they put on roads to seal the cracks.
debugjaws,
I also put a set of Avons on in Feb 2015 and couldn't ride over 60 mph without dying from feeling like I was driving on ball bearings, the second set did the same. Thru this forum I was told the sad story of Kawasaki and Dunlop sizing a tire bigger than it actually was. 120/70 18 OEM Dunlop measures closer to a 110/80 18, Even Avon got tricked. The front wheel is 3" wide, not wide enough for a 120/70. I left the rear Avon on and replaced the front Avon with a 110/80 18 and it help a lot but something was still wrong like less ball bearings. About a thousand miles later, it happened. It was so bad I couldn't ride it at all. I put it on the centerstand and turned the rear tire. The center of the tire wiggled like a snake. It had bad belts. As for the front 110/80, it cupped so bad it felt and sounded like off road mud tires. I used to be an Avon man but have left the fold. I'm with Steve on everything he says but I still like trying to finding my own road. You don't have to change to 17" wheels, there are some good tires out there and don't be afraid of radial front and or bias on the rear.

I have 10,300 miles on a 110 PR# front and Shinko 777 rear.  I could probably squeeze another 1000-1500 miles out of them but I am going to replace them before I head to the Barber Vintage Fest.  I have been very happy with the handling and I have never gotten 10k out of a rear tire before.  Highly recommend.

I wound up installing the Avons with the 110 on the front. I've got about 2500 miles on them now including a trip to Arkansas. I didn't do any peg scraping, but I did lose some shoe leather a few times. I think I see a bit of what people are talking about with the ball bearing thing, but with this size front tire I don't think it's real bad. I ride with the PGR a lot and pull a large flag attached to a trailer hitch. That flag will move the bike around a little at highway speed and I think these tires feel a little like that. I'm comfortable riding the bike at speed and through corners. I will add that I don't remember the last set of Avons I had feeling that way. There is no irregular wear on them, at least not yet.

I imagine I'll put one more set of tires on this bike before I move on to something else and I might try the Shinko/Michilin combo next time. So far I've ridden the Avons, Dunlop and Metzler and I will not use the Dunlop or Metzler again if I have any choice in the matter. I would buy the Avons with a 110 front again if I needed to.

Isn't there a spreadsheet someone created years ago tracking brand/performance/cost/miles, etc?

Are we not updating that anymore?

If not, I'd be willing to maintain it for a while, if anyone has a link to it. We could create a new post (maybe a sticky?/voting?) based on the fields in the sheet. Wouldn't be scientific, but could be useful long term. We could add the C14 there too.

Does the forum software support multi-item/multi-value voting? I'm thinking things like either a fill-in field for mileage, or multi-choice (1k-2k, 2k-3k, etc).

PM please if anyone has some thoughts (I get email notifications from PM's)

Looks like noting new on C-10 tires in awhile. I see that some say a 110 80 18 in lieu of the 120 70 18 it calls for due to fitment? My 03 has Metzlers on it from previous owner. Hard as a rock and yes slippery. Also a bias ply so cant lay into it like my sport bikes. I have been looking and it seems only radial V rated I can find in a set is the Avon Storm 3 HD. Denis Kirk has them. i am about to pull the trigger but wanted some feed back if possible? I like Michelin tires> I called them to see if their new P4 was going to come out in a 16" but no call back and those on the phone were useless, so I guess not. Any issues with Avons? Dont want a blow out at 110 mpg.. Need a grippy tire for the twisty Poconos roads etc in my area. What you guys riding on ZG 1000 Concours?. The one Picked up last year is a 03. Like the bike but tires are horrible.

Options for tires on the C10 are limited unless one goes for the 17" rear wheel modification. I used Avon Azaros and was fairly well pleased. You give up tire mileage for grip but tires are all about compromise anyway. 

well i might have messed up, just got a set of Dulop Elite 4's, went 150/80-16 for the back and 130/70-18 for the front. guess we will find out Saturday if they fit right or not, I know the back will but now not so sure on the front. I was thinking there is not a whole lot of difference between 120 and 130 and the 130 was all that was available so I got it, if it does fit I think it will get good milage but just a little worried now.

Avon 3D X-M. Not quite new; they came out about 2 years ago.
Very responsive tires, good grip, and should last. I would have expected 10,000 from rear, and 18,000+ from front...
Only negative is that they tend to wonder a little when new, but they settle after some miles.
Jorge

For those who run bias ply tires you may look at the Avon AM-26's. I have had very good luck with them. I have run them the last 4 years and the handling is amazing. Ask anyone who has followed me in the twisties. They are one of the few tires choices that have always come in the C-10 stock sizes.

well the 130/70 fit just fine on the front, gave me a little bit of trouble getting it on the rim but I did it. Got both mounted up and will go for a ride tomorrow and reporrt back how the E4's ride. Also wont be long and can report milage on them too, I hope to get in about 10k miles before June so I will know if they will last for my Alaska trip. They sure look good and have a ton of tread dtpth.

The fron had a shit load of weight on it with that shinko,  so hope it was a tire issue and not the wheell, gonna find out soon.

very big difference,  it just falls into the curves now. It is waay smoother than before and the low speed wobble is completely gone now, had to be all the lead attached to the front wheel. So far gotta say I really like these tires.

Harbor Freight has a inexpensive Motorcycle Wheel Balancer.
Takes a little patience, but would give you a good balance every time..

Ride safe, Ted

Warwgn. that 130 on the front will slow the steering noticeably. You should get pretty good tire mileage out of them though. Jorge, I NEVER got 10K out of a set of Avons Azuras. Usually only 6-7K. I live closer to twisties than you though.

Rev Ryder said:
Dang!!!
Nearly a half pound there.

Exactly, that is why I do my own tires, after I remove the tire I take a wire wheel and clean the insde of the wheel before putting the new tire on, something I know a shop does not do. Then I mount the tire and use dyna beads, my tires never leak down and stay balanced until I replace them. I have seen plenty of info for and against beads but have about 70k miles using them and love them. They eliminated cupping when I had my goldwing and extended tire life, they also worked just as well on my nighthawk, and now in the connie.

I hate taking anything to a shop and will do it all myself, shops always take way too long and never do anything to my satisfaction,  but that is a whole different thread.

Ranger Jim said:
Warwgn. that 130 on the front will slow the steering noticeably. You should get pretty good tire mileage out of them though. Jorge, I NEVER got 10K out of a set of Avons Azuras. Usually only 6-7K. I live closer to twisties than you though.

well 250 miles on it so far and love it, maybe I just dont  carve hard enough or that shinko was so bad but steering seems like a dream to me, feels very well planted and stable.

Been using Ride-On Tire Sealant for 4 years. Haven't had an issue, but, a friend who rides a dreaded Harley pulled out an inch long nail from his tire and had 0 leak. Ride-On balances and is great at helping you finish the ride.

I'm looking at fitting a new pair of tyres before the Summer (in the UK!) arrives.
I looked at the Shinko F011 Verge, they are £253 pair here, plus fitting.
I have Avons on now, a Matching pair of Avon Storm 3DXM Radials will cost me £166 pair plu fitting...a huge difference!
What do people think of the Avon radials? I've read a few comments about other Avons, but not this version
Thanks  ;D

jacksdad said:
I'm looking at fitting a new pair of tyres before the Summer (in the UK!) arrives.
I looked at the Shinko F011 Verge, they are £253 pair here, plus fitting.
I have Avons on now, a Matching pair of Avon Storm 3DXM Radials will cost me £166 pair plu fitting...a huge difference!
What do people think of the Avon radials? I've read a few comments about other Avons, but not this version
Thanks  ;D

:86:  ME? Well, since you asked... 

If they were exactly the same price, I'd go Avon every time.  If the Avons were the 253 and the Shinkos were 177 (closer to the way it is in the states here) I'd probably still go the Avons even though the 3D XM are not as good a tire as the old Azaro or Storm 3D tires were.  That's MY opinion and worth what ya paid fer it.  The Shinkos will likely give longer service with somewhat diminished grip, but then the 3DXM also have moderately reduced grip from the earlier Avon tires... er.. tyres.  :)

Thanks, I have the same 'old' Avon combo on now, and like them, but they are getting close to the limit for me.
Anyone use other makes, that give good wet and dry grip over long life? I don't do lots of miles any more, purely a weekend and maybe a week long tour each summer.
I wonder why the prices are the opposite to your side of the Pond? Probably the usual supply and demand factors, as you don't see them at all over here: The guys on the US XS650 forums do recommend the Shinko classic bike tyres though, my other bikes are 1976 and 77 XS650's btw.
Maybe the prices will change but for now Avons are amongst the cheapest  :eek:

Anyone use other makes, that give good wet and dry grip over long life?
I'm running a Michelin PR4GT rear (17" conversion) and PR3 front. I've done one replacement on each since buying the Concours, and because of the nature of Florida driving and my long trips it's mostly straight line highway miles. I've been pleased with them for both life and grip in my use. In fact, when I mounted the new front last week I realized it was the first time I changed it. Looking back over the maintenance records Steve gave me with the bike, I discovered that PR3 lasted 19,000 miles. It was down to the wear bars in the center, but not bald.

A SHINKO Verge 120/70ZR18 is gonna replace the DUNLOP 120/70ZR18 Sportmax D205F now on my C10. QUESTION:What am I gonna notice that's different..if anything? Locomotiveman

Locomotiveman said:
A SHINKO Verge 120/70ZR18 is gonna replace the DUNLOP 120/70ZR18 Sportmax D205F now on my C10. QUESTION:What am I gonna notice that's different..if anything? Locomotiveman
You'll notice that it's too big. Most folks like the 110-80. More correct fit and handles much gooder

120 vs 110 VERSYS. I see YouTube stuff shows the 'Profile' of a Versys is quite different from some others...seems to be taller, not as flat across the tread when inflated. I wonder why..... And no groove down the middle that my old Dunlop has. If it fits...it's staying on. I'll see. Locomotiveman

One thing that we peeps in the UK need to watch is insurance.
If I had an accident and had fitted a 120 front tyre, the insurance company would seize the chance to invalidate the cover as I'd fitted a different spec to standard.
As to a 130: how the #### did you get it onto a 3.00 wheel?  :eek:
Note: I can get a pair of 3d-XM's, 110 and 150, for £160 plus fitting. The rear Shinko costs more that that over here

I'm running Shinko SE890 Journeys intended for a GoldWing. (130 on front 160 rear)  I took them to a local tire shop to have them mounted.  If I weren't standing there, god knows what the kid mounting would have done to that tire.  Rather than forcing the tire down in the relief portion of the wheel, he was trying to just force it with the changer.  I had to stop him and hold it down so it would go on.  I'm not sure how it would have been mounting by hand.  If you lay the tires out in the sun and let them get hot, lube the crap out of them, new tires generally go on easier then taking the old ones off.  I'm about done with taking my tires to a shop to have them mounted.  As far as the tires go I do like them.  If one struggles to get Miss Piggie :-\....eh...I mean Connie on the centerstand, these will help.  :great: