• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Soft PR2's

Fred H.

I can't seem to find the thread about the guy who had a set of very soft PR2's from Thailand, but I recently mounted a set of Thailand made PR2's on my bike and I think I'm noticing some of the same things he mentioned. The rear end of the bike feels a bit squirmy for lack of a better description. The bike just doesn't feel like it's handled good every since I mounted them. It feels like the sidewalls aren't stiff enough and are allowing the tire to flex too much.

I previously had a set of PR2's made in Spain and had no complaints with them.  I also noticed that now Michelin has a PR3 in a "B spec"  tire advertised for 2 up touring bikes that has a stiffer sidewall. I'm beginning to think this is the tire that the Concours should have on it.

I remember the thread- he had pictures where he was flexing the tires; almost like they didn't have the steel belts in them.  I haven't heard the same complaints from the PR3s yet.  Wonder if there was a batch of PR2s that got past QA?

Michelin doesn't use steel belts, they use a woven aramid belt that is lighter and produces less heat when it flexes. I think this may be partly what makes them less stiff than other tires. It also makes them run cooler.

But I'm just not liking the way these feel on the back of the bike. It could be my imagination, but I don't think the previous set I got felt like this. I'm thinking that the new "B" spec PR3 is going to the way to go.

Fred, Just got a set of pr3's on my 14 honey. Where do you see the B spec on the tire code?

I love the PR3...and might go w/ the B spec rear. I see the B in 180/55 just like the PR2 (which is fine w/ my FJR) but how about the 190/50 for the C14? Are you gonna downsize?

Old Man on a Connie said:
Fred, Just got a set of pr3's on my 14 honey. Where do you see the B spec on the tire code?

Unfortunatly, I don't see the 190/50 listed in a B spec, but the 180/55 is.

http://www.bikebandit.com/michelin-pilot-road-3-motorcycle-tire

Specifications and Options
Brand Michelin
Price $193.06
Notes Only Ships To Immediate Lower 48 States
Rim Size 17" Rim
Tire Size 180/55-17
Bias / Radial Radial
Note B-Spec; Specifically designed for loaded sport touring and 2-up riding.
Tube / Tubeless Tubeless
Sidewall Blackwall
Compound Soft / Medium
Load Index 73
Speed Rating Z
Terrain Use Sport Touring

If it is a "B" spec tire, it should have a B all by itself stamped on the side of the tire somewhere.  Here is an example of a "U" spec Bridgestone.

I believe Bike Bandit used to have the "B" spec PR3's in the size for the Concours, but I don't see them listed there now.

large.jpg

I think the Road3 is so much better than the Road2. The front '3' wears so much better. Were the '2' would cup very bad to the wear bars about an inch off of center, the 3 is not cupping at all so far after 2500 miles. The 2 would be cupped out and have to be changed long before the rest of the tread was finished on mine. I really liked the handling of the 2 in the 190/55 aspect ratio. I seldom ride double and have no need for a stiff sidewall 'B' tire, again. The stiff ones are a bugger to mount for me and my Nomar changer. Dismounting is the hard part.  I won't even consider mounting another Bridgstone or other stiffy sport touring hoop. For a little bit more the 3s are the way to go....

Fred, PR3's, 180/55. Only have about 75 miles on 'em but didn't feel anything bad.
Isn't the B the load rating or does it denote country of origin?

Attachments

• 100_0640.JPG
    100_0640.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 117
As of right now...there is no "B" spec Michelin in a 190 size...it is ONLY available as a 180/55ZR17. 

There is a "B" Load Rating..."B" Spec has reinforced sidewalls and bead seating...maybe even additional belting in the carcass...designed for upper-end performance sport touring bikes...although, the FJR 1300 is the only one I can think of that would qualify...

I'm thinking this tire NEEDS to be in C14 rear sizing...since, as my Michelin info says, "The 180/55 ZR 17 rear also available in a "B" version, specifically designed for loaded sport touring or riding two-up."

Old Man on a Connie - "Made In _______" is cast into the sidewall on one side.

I have a set of PR3's B spec setting on the shelf 190/50 - 120/70, made in Thailand. Ran across them on ebay a few weeks ago $265.00 shipped so I bought them. I was not even shopping for tire's, I was happy with my Avon's & had no plan's to switch back to Michelin's. I did not like my 2 set's of PR2's, but could not pass up a deal. Guess I'll give them a try!

CRocker said:
As of right now...there is no "B" spec Michelin in a 190 size...it is ONLY available as a 180/55ZR17. 

There is a "B" Load Rating..."B" Spec has reinforced sidewalls and bead seating...maybe even additional belting in the carcass...designed for upper-end performance sport touring bikes...although, the FJR 1300 is the only one I can think of that would qualify...

I'm thinking this tire NEEDS to be in C14 rear sizing...since, as my Michelin info says, "The 180/55 ZR 17 rear also available in a "B" version, specifically designed for loaded sport touring or riding two-up."

Old Man on a Connie - "Made In _______" is cast into the sidewall on one side.
Thanks C. I'll look. Dang You guy's are serious about your tires. Being able to call out tire codes off the cuff. Whattya think about them new air jordans???????? :))

Love the PR3s on my Connie. They feel good in turns, and smooth going straight.

Murph says "do not get B compound PRs" and thats good enough for me.

I have noticed that the PR2 has a higher load rating in 190/55 as compared to 190/50 but is was expressed numerically as 73W vs. 75W. Anybody care to expand on this?

Update: the 75W is rated for 50 lbs more, the factory Bridgestone along with most 190/50's are 73W while the 190/55's or 75W's seem to be all rated 50 lbs higher, perhaps due to the additional sidewall?

I experienced the same squrirmyness with my PR2's on the 14,  Felt like the rear really was on the verge of sliding a few times (Hence why I pulled them off with life to spare,  they actually scared me)

But on the flipside, I had a set of PR2's on my old FJR that were rock solid (I don't know where either were made)

The 180/55ZR17B carry the exact same specs as the non-B.  If you don't do loaded and 2-up touring, the B-spec may give you a stiffer ride and possibly worse traction because the increase stiffness and reduced compliance.

Since I rarely ride 2-up, I stayed with the 190/50.  These PR3 really transformed the C14 handling.  The heavy steering is all but gone.

Attachments

• PR3.JPG
    PR3.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 97
The person who started the whole soft tire thing was Tom Hess and it was on Rick Hall's forum, not here.

I went through five sets of PR2s, some made in Thailand and some made in Spain (I think) and I cannot tell the difference in riding qualities. The rear tires are surprisingly soft when not mounted on a wheel but they seem to perform fine.

Brian

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
I can't seem to find the thread about the guy who had a set of very soft PR2's from Thailand, but I recently mounted a set of Thailand made PR2's on my bike and I think I'm noticing some of the same things he mentioned. The rear end of the bike feels a bit squirmy for lack of a better description. The bike just doesn't feel like it's handled good every since I mounted them. It feels like the sidewalls aren't stiff enough and are allowing the tire to flex too much.

I previously had a set of PR2's made in Spain and had no complaints with them.  I also noticed that now Michelin has a PR3 in a "B spec"  tire advertised for 2 up touring bikes that has a stiffer sidewall. I'm beginning to think this is the tire that the Concours should have on it.

I use a Nomar tire changer and the flexible casing of Michelin street tires makes the job of mounting much less of a chore. I still mount my track tires, also Michelin brand, they are built on a much stiffer case. Not near as fun to mount as their street tires. I have mounted many other stiff brands. But, No more please..