• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Soon to be owner questions

Go

Big Wheel
Hi all, I guess this is the place to ask Concours questions huh?

I'll be ordering my '12 C14 on Monday.

Are there any pictures available of the '12 colors?  There's a brownish (not maroon) color I saw that I think I'm leaning towards.  It's difficult to make that decision from one photo though.

There must be a thread on this already, maybe someone can point me to one, but what do you think the must-have upgrades/accessories are?

I ride 1 up most of the time, but once or twice a year, I'll do a long trip 2 up.  Miles per day on the long trips are 400 to 800, so I want to be able to set it up for comfort, at least for the passenger, for those days.

I just sold the Goldwing, so I'll need all the help I can get adjusting her to not having a princess seat.  ;)  ,,, a top box will be necessary for those trips too.

I'm also interested in what you guys are doing for power mods.  I'm in CA so mine will come with all the emission stuff.  I heard rumors a while back that new bikes will start having to be smogged here... has anyone heard that?

My questions are all over the place, feel free to pick just 1.  :) 

Good luck in your purchase.  It looks like a nice color.  I have not seen many other photos other than those posted on the Kawasaki web site, like this one...

2012_Concours_14.jpg

Go, welcome to the forum and yes, this is the place to be.  There is a wealth of information here and searching the forums is your friend.  I personally can't answer all of your questions but will do my best.  I have a 2010 C14 ABS and my wife and I just love this bike.  Someone may correct me but I believe for 2012 the only colors here in the states is Black and a dark maroon color.  If you go the Kawasaki site, you will be able to see them there.

There are many items on this site regarding upgrades/accessories (we call them farkles) and I believe even some that would recommend the order in which to get them.  I replaced my stock seat with a set of Corbin heated seats with the passenger backrest.  They were a little pricey, but we love them.  We also went with the Givi ENT55L case with the Admore lighting kit.  And to put it on the bike, we got Phil's rack to replace the plastic rack put on by Kawasaki.

As far as power mods, everyone is sort of doing their own thing and trying (its very hard) to stay within a budget.  If you search PC5 (power commander), autotune, ECU flash, and exhaust replacement, you will find what you are looking for.

Again, welcome, and good luck with your purchase process, as I know you will love this bike just like the rest of us do.

Take care..

I would negotiate a shop manual, a couple of oil filters, 10 quarts of Kawasaki 10W-40 oil and the Kawasaki oil for the rear drive.  You're gonna need these within the first 1000 miles.  I changed my oil at 100 and 600 miles and the rear drive oil at 600 miles. Sooner or later you're gonna need an air filter, too.  I would price these out from someplace you're not going to buy the bike from then see if you can get these for a substantially discounted price when you order the bike.  I would NOT get the extended warantee until you get close to the time when the original warantee will run out.  Some folks have managed to get their dealers to provide the bike with different (better) tires, too, but not many.  And, finally, I'd get a set of Fred Harmon's DVDs at www.angelridevideos.com.  They make maintenance so much easier, at least for me.

Then go ride the hell of out it and farkel up from there. :motonoises:

For topcases I am a fan of Givi but a lot of people are liking the CooCases as well apparently.

I would suggest you not go Farkle crazy until you put a few thousand miles on her just so you can get to know each other,  once you do that you can address comfort first then go nuts.  For me it was risers, better screen and a Russel Saddle..but YMMV

Welcome to the addiction..er club LOL