• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Speaking of motorcycles ...

Murph

Crotch Rocket
Industry Vendor
I don't really track the industry because I'm narrowly focused.
But locally, heres some personal observations. I couldn't tell you the last time I met a first time rider/owner....and I look for them. I live on a pretty good back road that's fairly popular with the casual rider, group riders and such. Five years ago, all season long, you pretty much heard bikes going by. I haven't seen a group of Wingers this year..and if I were to guess, bike traffic on this road is maybe 10% of what it use to be. I don't think the roads less popular, what's happen to everyone? I don't even hear any of the rare work commuters anymore. I got to thinking of my local riders I know, out of 8 that were riding a few years back, only one still rides. You would think with rising gas prices you see a few more folks at least riding to work.... Anyway..

I guess I am bucking the trend! Got back into riding after a 25 year hiatus. Found my gorgeous red 09 C14 from a friend of a friend. The deal was something I could not pass up. It was a great summer as I logged >6,000 miles while having fun doing maintenance and adding farkles. She is sleeping out the long Michigan winter now and will wake up to her first valve check/adjustment. So glad for the Murph kit available for the job!

Attachments

• E0BD2292-17E4-4B9C-BE59-0FED389A0521.jpeg
    E0BD2292-17E4-4B9C-BE59-0FED389A0521.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 62
..L..why thanks! You'll be seeing more maintenance items on the site shortly. Actually you are pretty typical of the " new" market ...the returning Ryder ...speaking of Michigan, I hope to hit up the Ford museum s this upcoming year

The motorcycle safety program BRC courses filled to capacity in 2022 at the site I work at. The training season here runs APR to OCT/NOV. Registration is similar at other state sites. I feel that when community colleges were shut down in spring 2020, and many BRC's were cancelled, it created pent up demand. The training came back online late July 2020 and once in a while there are more classes/students than instructors and courses scheduled. At the site I work, there are several on a waitlist and calls come in often from procrastinators seeking to get into a course before winter.

Here are some specifics from a FEB 2022 press release from the Motorcycle Industry Council...
  • Across all categories of motorcycles (scooters, on-highway, dual, and off-highway) sales are up 21.8% since 2019, according to the Motorcycle Industry Council Retail Sales Report.
  • Scooters sales are up 19.6% over 2020 and 31.4% over 2019.
  • On-highway motorcycle sales up 12.9% over 2020.
  • Dual motorcycles sales were up 18.6% over what was considered a monster year of sales in 2020, where we saw a 46.2% increase in sales over 2019.
  • Interest in off-highway motorcycles continues to be strong with a two-year increase of 42.9%.
The MIC Retail Sales Reporting System gathers new-motorcycle and scooter retail sales data from 14 leading manufacturers and distributors in the U.S., providing a strong indicator of sales trends.

“In addition to strong sales, we are seeing strong demand for riding training and education,” Pritchard said. “The Motorcycle Safety Foundation saw an estimated 48% increase in enrollment in 2021 over 2020. The MSF Basic RiderCourse and MSF DirtBike School are great places to start if you are new to motorcycling. For more experienced riders, there are numerous more advanced options.”

• Interest in off-highway motorcycles continues to be strong with a two-year increase of 42.9%.

What ya wana bet these are side by sides?

.. Ya since posting i've looked at a few "inside" stats.. they say its goin" like gang busters...

...I ain't seeing it... course like I've said, not my market

Murph

My career was in outdoor recreation. One facility I managed back in the 1980's and 1990's filled to capacity on a good weather Saturday or Sunday in July and August. Every picnic table and campsite was taken. At some point in this century it all changed and waiting lines disappeared.
My wife and I walk through the neighborhood every day - and if it wasn't for signs that spring up around graduation time many of the homes we walk by we had assumed were childless were not. We rarely see a child outdoors - riding a bicycle or shooting hoops. Wherever these children are hiding, they don't appear to live anything like my generation when parents wouldn't permit kids to skulk around indoors on a nice day.
When the wife and I were 25 and older there were bottle clubs and dance venues - they're all mostly gone now. Possibly these venues died from OUI enforcement. Maine isn't like Maryland or Wisconsin where there appears to be a bar every 1/4 mile.... Courting rituals appear to have changed significantly too... that's all I'm going to say about that.
When I bought my first motorcycle there were at least 2 showrooms of new and used bikes, those have closed as well.
At the risk of sounding like an ageist young people appear to be pretty darned boring compared to my generation

..L..why thanks! You'll be seeing more maintenance items on the site shortly. Actually you are pretty typical of the " new" market ...the returning Ryder ...speaking of Michigan, I hope to hit up the Ford museum s this upcoming year
We went to a wedding at the museum this summer. This is a very cool place! If you have the ability, keep an eye out for the vintage motorcycle weekend at the Gilmore Car Museum in Richland, MI (just north of Kalamazoo) in early June. It is an awesome event with thousands of bikes on the museum grounds. All car exhibits are also open for the event. Had a great time there this past June.

What ya wana bet these are side by sides?
possible - MIC does not seem to provide a breakdown.
Here in CT There is one (1) public recreation area specifically for single track off-road motorcycles. I suspect any uptick in side-by-side around here is within the farming /equestrian community.
...I ain't seeing it... course like I've said, not my market

Maybe there are more motorcycle "owners" rather than riders... :unsure:

Lots of two wheeled traffic around here. The road going through town and another one going through the WMA are frequented by local riders. Usually kinda' dead during the winter and at the peak of summer, but year round traffic nonetheless. Lots of folks out on two wheels last weekend since it was mid-70s.

Interesting thing is though on last Saturday's ride we stopped at a local park with campground. The campground was at about 10% capacity and there were no hikers or other visitors. It bothered me, since when I was a kid many decades ago, a place like that would be packed. I worry that I might outlive my access to such outdoor activities.

Headed out to the local Guzzi dealer this morning... Lots of bikes out. Passed one mixed group, ADV bikes, cruisers etc in the pack

Came home on a new V85TT.

More out riding on the way home. North Georgia is like that, though it'll quiet down soon when it gets cold.