• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Speed wobble question

vincenstuff

BLUF: do we collectively have so many speed wobbles and handlebar shakes because it's near impossible to put this bike on the centerstand by default, and we're all side loading our tires every night?

So the bike is parked for a replacement thermal fan switch, but it gave me time to ruminate on my new-to-me ride... I park all my bikes on the center stand, but when I went to see this one it was in the guys garage on the side stand. On my walkaround, I noticed rust on the center stand pads... like it hadn't been used in years. Of course, I now know why, this bike doesn't like to get on the center stand. I still manage, but all 150 lbs of me has to pull pretty hard on the grab rail every time.

First ride proved there was a wobble, and this forum is full of wobble stories. Tightening head nut helped a little, but the front tire was so warped I could feel it. New tire and she's rock solid. I'm guessing the old tire (6 year old manuf date) spent it's whole life leaned over and propping up it's share of almost 700 lbs.

Tolerance to side loading is probably very tire dependent, but I wonder how much is down to a center stand without enough leverage to use regularly? Anyone know of any other bikes with a similar reputation?

I've owned three of these motorcycles since 1992 - they're rock steady right up to 130mph. The only high speed issue I had was with a defective tyre.  Reading these forums gives a distorted view of reliability. People comment on problems a lot more than comments about how pleased we all are.

A friend of mine who has a 2005 C10 had a bad wobble that would start around 75mph.  The front tire was about 7 yrs old if I remember right.  Couldn't find anything else wrong with the front or rear end.  Replaced the tire and wobble gone.

Vince said:
BLUF: do we collectively have so many speed wobbles and handlebar shakes because it's near impossible to put this bike on the centerstand by default, and we're all side loading our tires every night?

So the bike is parked for a replacement thermal fan switch, but it gave me time to ruminate on my new-to-me ride... I park all my bikes on the center stand, but when I went to see this one it was in the guys garage on the side stand. On my walkaround, I noticed rust on the center stand pads... like it hadn't been used in years. Of course, I now know why, this bike doesn't like to get on the center stand. I still manage, but all 150 lbs of me has to pull pretty hard on the grab rail every time.

First ride proved there was a wobble, and this forum is full of wobble stories. Tightening head nut helped a little, but the front tire was so warped I could feel it. New tire and she's rock solid. I'm guessing the old tire (6 year old manuf date) spent it's whole life leaned over and propping up it's share of almost 700 lbs.

Tolerance to side loading is probably very tire dependent, but I wonder how much is down to a center stand without enough leverage to use regularly? Anyone know of any other bikes with a similar reputation?

Ive never had an issue with my center stand . I'd like to check out a Concours that the owner says can't be put up on it to see what the issue is . I'm curious what the issue for some could be .

If the previous owner installed a lowering kit that the new owner was not made aware of that would make it pretty difficult to get it up on the center stand

The C10 centre-stand is a little harder to use than many others, but it's not difficult.
It just requires a bit more ooomf and a little bit of technique.

A large number of motorcycles don't have centre-stands fitted at all and they don't suffer any more or less from "speed wobble" than the C10.

The C10 does suffer more from buffeting than nekkid bikes due to the large side and frontal area of the fairing.
If you have a speed weave, first check tyres, then check the fairing subframe-headstock mount, then check the engine bolts.
This is not to be confused with the hands-off 40-30mph deceleration wobble which is normally caused by the headstock angle and rake combined with loose head-race bearings.