• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Speedometer cables discontinued.

greenie

Back in 1991 when I bought the first of 3 C-10's I should have been done with it and bought a family fun pack of speedometer cables - I've replaced at least seven of them over the years - only one due to operator error. Kawasaki has discontinued the part, says Ron Ayres - a kind salesman there took the time to email me 4 other sources for the cable - one in Arkansas had one which I purchased.
These cables fail with regularity, some are still available on Ebay.

That "is" a great deal!

I've broken a few of the inner cables over the years.
In a pinch, (on the road) I bought an automotive make up cable and installed it.
I don't think it ever broke.
Not sure their even available anymore.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: The reason so many broke was people routed the speedo cable wrong. (Too much of a bend)
Check the Owners Shop Manual for proper routing.

I lost a cable on my Silverwing on a gravel road once. Cable worked its way loose from the drive, then all of the bouncing neatly worked the cable out of the sheath and on the road somewhere. Didn't notice till I got back on pavement. Haven't broken one yet though.

Guess I'll add a cable on to my next order from Murph. Sounds like they break a lot.

Never broke a cable on any of my bikes (keep them well lubed), but wish I had a nickle for every one I gave away (for later reimbursement or replacement), sold, or just plain gave away at the many rallies I've attended over the years. They're one of the items in a spare parts kit I always carry with me when I'm out and about far from home.

Even if they don't break, they do occasionally come loose............

Me, reconnecting the cable to the back of the speedometer on the loaner bike I used when I was on my OTP journey in 2002. Came loose on the way up to Bonn, Germany as I was heading to my trip's second home stay in Aarshot, Belgium. My German host (Sean) accompanied me part way towards the border and can be seen in the mirror capturing the moment.

pond%20all%202%20083-XL.jpg

Murph can even special order longer cable lengths to accommodate different handlebars. Murph is da bomb!

My apologies, but just remembered, and found a Motion Pro speedo cable that fits the Connie. Have no idea when I got it, or how much I paid for it, but they're still listed in their cable catalog. The part number is: 03-0124.

It's one of those spare parts I mentioned that I carry.

MP%20cable%201-L.jpg

mp%20cable%202-L.jpg

Last edited: