• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Speedometer won’t spin

Must be screwed in at both ends first. If one end is open, cable could slip back and not engage with speedo.

Have you had the wheel off? If yes, check that the speedo drive tang is in the correct rotation, and the drive ears are correct on the drive to wheel interface.
If you haven't had the wheel off, I suggest, put the cable (without housing) into the speedo and see if it turns freely.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
The cable doesn’t turn the speedo freely. It’s like the speedo is stuck (broken). I thought it was going to be a broken cable. The cable was not broke and the wheel is turning the cable. It is the speedo not budging. I suppose I can force it and see what gives?

I don't know...
Ted, you think it might be a frozen bearing inside the speedo?
Does it have a bearing?

Something doesn't sound right. Forcing it will just cause damage.
It shouldn't be hard to spin.

speedo.png

I've never heard of a speedo doing this.
Rather than a bearing, I suspect that the odometer gearing has some sort of a bind.
So, Try resetting {pushing the button} on the Odometer.

If speedo isn't working, it's a moot point.
ie; May have to get another dash/speedo anyway.
So, forcing it {to see what happens} isn't going to hurt anything.

Ride safe, Ted

I would disconnect speed cable at wheel first check make sure gears are turning.hope it helps.

Ordering a new dash/speedo from eBay. Everything is spinning from the wheel to the odometer, but no speedo needle. Thanks for helping me through this?

Mechanical speedometers are a lot like old clocks. There are bushings and gears that can wear. How the needle is driven can be the magnet ring in Harry's pic. or some type of friction clutch. My GPZ550 guage was stiff so I lubed the input bushing then it started bouncing around. It bounced so much it broke off the needle. After that I took it apart and found the bushings badly worn. I would stick until the drive shaft twisted and loaded up enough to over power it and the be turned way too fast ie the jumping. There are repair shops that might be able to fix it. Not sure of the cost but it is not cheep. I also got a replacement on E-Bay. The only disadvantage is the odometer is not correct. With a 30 year old bike I didn't care about that.

theres a damper on the shaft. i've repaired a few older speedometers in the past, especially back when i actually repaired clocks for a living.. However, cheaper just to buy a whole set of used gauges. heck i have 2 spare sets for some reason. :ROFLMAO: if you're handy, you can actually swap the odometer drum out, its not that hard. .02

When I had a C10, I used a digital bicycle computer for speed and odo. It worked very well. I just mounted a magnet on the front tire, and the magnetic sensor was on one of the forks. The Odometer was good for 1/100 of a mile.

A hair spring failure could not prevent the speedo cable from turning.
The hair spring and the speedo needle are "not" mechanically linked to the speedo drive..
The speedo needle is turned by the magnets effect on the the metal drum.

Ride safe, Ted