• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

St Joe Scenic Byway ID ?

It's paved between St Maries, ID and the Montana border; beautiful road along the river - lightly travelled. From the pass, which is the Montana border, you'll have 15 miles of gravel road; heading east the first 10 are descending - last 5 are level. I've done it several times, C14 and FJR, mostly heading west.

Hope you share your ride with photos and tales.

Cecil - WA State

It's paved between St Maries, ID and the Montana border; beautiful road along the river - lightly travelled. From the pass, which is the Montana border, you'll have 15 miles of gravel road; heading east the first 10 are descending - last 5 are level. I've done it several times, C14 and FJR, mostly heading west.

Hope you share your ride with photos and tales.

Cecil - WA State
Thank you! I will be heading east if I take that route. Still planning. Coming from eastern ND. Hwy 2 , work my way up to Yakk, Bonners Ferry and down to St Marie's. If time allows I may go a little further south and take that curvy road into Kalispe? EDIT. Missoula through Lolopass. Need to look at map and refresh memory! Thank you much!

Last edited:
Thank you! I will be heading east if I take that route. Still planning. Coming from eastern ND. Hwy 2 , work my way up to Yakk, Bonners Ferry and down to St Marie's. ...
Where your St Joe River route joins I-90 (St Regis, MT) there's a good travel stop with fuel, food and nice 'made-in-Montana' gift shop. On your route itself, and if you don't get service at St Maries, there is Avery - this last town in Idaho has premium gas, general store with tiny cafe; don't know about motel. [However, don't take the 35 mile gravel road N from Avery to Wallace - just keep going east on your route].

I've primarily done this route westbound because it is part of a favored 2 day loop for me. But when I did go eastbound (your direction), the downhill gravel section into Montana was no problem, even though I hate gravel. Right at the Montana border (the unmarked pass), there are small pullouts where I always stop - a riding break that also gets my mind ready for the change in road surface and speed.

Where your St Joe River route joins I-90 (St Regis, MT) there's a good travel stop with fuel, food and nice 'made-in-Montana' gift shop. On your route itself, and if you don't get service at St Maries, there is Avery - this last town in Idaho has premium gas, general store with tiny cafe; don't know about motel. [However, don't take the 35 mile gravel road N from Avery to Wallace - just keep going east on your route].

I've primarily done this route westbound because it is part of a favored 2 day loop for me. But when I did go eastbound (your direction), the downhill gravel section into Montana was no problem, even though I hate gravel. Right at the Montana border (the unmarked pass), there are small pullouts where I always stop - a riding break that also gets my mind ready for the change in road surface and speed.
Thank you very much for the info. Appreciated.