• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ST or Concours?

Hoju14

Tricycle
Stupid question on a Concours forum, I know.
I 've been riding a 2000 Fatboy since new. I know my bike inside/out, has numerous engine upgrades. Is a riot to ride, when I'm not FIXING the darn thing. It's loud, it's obnoxious, and I'm growing tired of it. It will become my sunday night hotrod and now I'm looking at either above mentioned bikes. Huge deal for me is reliability, I'm good with routine maintenance, but I just want to ride!. I know local guys here with well over 200 000miles on their ST's, with little more than regular maintenance. I know several police agencies ride the ST's for their proven reliability. I've ridden both and bottom line, the Concours is just more fun. I'm not sure I'm willing to give up reliability for fun though. Any high mileage guys out there? How has the Concours been for reliability?

I have seen several on here with miles over 70k and 80k, I'm sure 100k is no problem.

I seriously looked at both bikes (I just bought a new 09' on 9/9/2011), and at one point I was trying to force myself to buy a New, leftover 10' ST1300ABS that was at a dealer about a mile from my house. I like the looks, the seat, and the power of the ST. Bottom end power of it and the C-14 feel close to the same, until the variable valve timing on the Kawi starts to work.

Bottom line for me was, it just seemed like you got "more" of everything with the C-14. 3yr warranty (Honda was 1), Better Suspension (WAY more adjustability, and IMO overall better components used), more torque, more hp, more "Gadgets", weight is within 10 lbs of each other etc...

When it came down to brass tacks, the left-over, new ST1300 was $5000 more than the left over, new C14. I think value wise, both bikes at the same money the C14 is more "value", spread the price apart by $5k, and it is more than an exceptional value.

IMO - The ST is one notch closer to a Gold Wing, and the C14 is one step closer to a sport bike from each other.

For what its worth,

I've been a Honda guy for my 20+ years of riding. The 2010 C14 ABS I just bought a few weeks ago is my first non-honda. I owned (and still do actually) an ST1100 and it has been an utterly fantastic bike. Needed NOTHING for all the years I've owned it other than maintenance.

That said, I didn't buy a ST1300 because I heard some real negative things about the seat (Connie is the same),and the Connie motor is just a powerhouse with more potential. Truth be told, I also bought the concours because I got a smoking deal on it. I also think the Concours is a far, far better looking bike. Also some reports of high-speed defects which kinda scared me a bit, but that is admittedly completely anecdotal so its weight should be minimal.

But, the ST is a nice bike and you could certainly do worse.

If I was just a little bit taller (and had more cash) I would buy the C14, but for me the C10 is working great right now.  After I get outa school and start looking for a replacement for the C10, It'll prob be a FJR.  I've sat on all 3 and the FJR just seems lighter and smaller, and for me thats a good thing.

You have to decide what you want in a bike. If performance isn't you main goal. Then you must decide what is the more important aspects of the bikes for you. The ST is a great bike. IMO, it does look a lot like a small GoldWing. I actually like the ST1100 looks better. But the 1300 is a great do it all bike, that most people ride many miles without one problem (kind of like the ST100 that was mentioned). All in all the ST is a great bike that would probably make you very happy.
The Concours14 is a newer more performance type bike. The ST would be much more comfortable on long trips. But the C14 will handle better and has more power than the ST. The newest C14's also have traction control. But the C14 has been plagued with growing pains. Some have been rock solid dependable. But others have expressed having problems that were nothing more than an annoyance. Some have had little to a lot of warranty work. Some have been stranded. So IMO, the St would be the safer bet for dependabilty. But that's not saying the C14 will give you problems. Most C14's a very dependable, fun to ride bikes. But go with a  2011 or newer C14 if you want one. It's more refined and has had some of the issues worked out of it. Plus ABs and traction control are standard.
Any brand/type of motorcycle can  and will have some problems. Honda for me gave just about zero problems for many years. I had one kick stand switch go bad in over 20+ years of Honda's. That's it. But kawasaki hasn't been bad either. My first C10 was very dependable the whole time I had it. My 86 C10 that I have now has been a fairly dependable bike. But it is old and does not get ridden much. So it does require more less milage upkeep. But the bike itself is a great old timer. But as to my C14. To be honest, mine was more of an exception to the dependablity rule. Mine was a problem child that had both warranty issues and did strand me quite a few times. Some were just for a minute or two. A couple of other times required trailering it to the dealer. So I now ride a rock solid dependable FJR because of it. But like I said, mine, I'm sure was more of an exception. The C14 is a great bike. But like I said, if rock solid dependabilty is your number one thing. I would go with the ST1300. It has a much better track record, and has had more refinement time over the C14. It's also a Honda.

Eddie_Bohanan_TN said:
If I was just a little bit taller (and had more cash) I would buy the C14, but for me the C10 is working great right now.  After I get outa school and start looking for a replacement for the C10, It'll prob be a FJR.  I've sat on all 3 and the FJR just seems lighter and smaller, and for me thats a good thing.

Yep!

I've always been a Honda guy, but when I rode an ST1300 before I got my C14 and it seemed more touring-oriented than sport to me. It sounded like a tractor and I dragged the peg in a curve without much effort, and I've never touched down with the Concours (yet).  :beerchug:

I have a 2009/with ABS and only had 1 problem in 20000mi, all 3 disc had to be replaced by MA Kaw under waranty ???,  as for the factor it can not be under estamated  :)) on this bike. as for a 2009 vs 2010 or 2011, for the savings I'd go with the 2009 as it was most problem were taken care of :). as for ST vs C14 if your not into the fun factor go with the ST and if your 5'4 or less and still like the fun factor, the FJR mit be for you, but as for me after riding all 3 if  I were  only 5' tall I would still buy the C14 (it's a little taller bike) as it's that much better and the fun factor is way up compaired to the others 8). P.S. put PR2's or PR3's ASAP they make a very good handling bike into a great one :)

I'm a newbee to the Connie with just over 600mi on my new "12", but for the reliability part of the ST I can say alot after putting 130,000mi on two 1100's and 106,00mi on my 1300 I have sitting next to the Connie. The only thing I put on the "91" 1100 was a front wheel bearing that went south with 32,000 on it. As for the 98 nothing. My 1300 I had the upper wire harness take a dump on me at 84,000 and a fork seal at 93,000, I also had a rear bearing go out at 98,000. Otherwise they were great bikes. But after 20yrs riding ST's, and the last eight with the 13 and mother Honda putting out the same bike, and increasing the price like they have, it was time for a change. The ST comes with a three yr warrenty plus you can add up to four more, with the Connies three yr and up to three more I think your pretty well covered there for both bikes. I went out west this summer and the same thing happened as did 3yrs ago, I ended up with heat sores. If you put your hand on the frame it wont stay there long cause it gets hot, now I'm not saying the ST is a heat machine like a bunch of other people do, like I say, you put a high performance engine in some plastic the heat has to go somewhere, I haven't ridden the Connie in 90degree heat yet but at 75degrees I feel no heat. The connie beats the ST in about everything and for me to switch brands says something for the Kaw. The fuel injection is sooo much smoother on the Connie, the ST will snap you back right now so you want to hold on tight til you get used to it. Boy pretty long winded for such a simple question huh. Hope I helped, any more questions on the ST just ask, really, it is a great machine.

Beamer said:
I have seen several on here with miles over 70k and 80k, I'm sure 100k is no problem.

I seriously looked at both bikes (I just bought a new 09' on 9/9/2011), and at one point I was trying to force myself to buy a New, leftover 10' ST1300ABS that was at a dealer about a mile from my house. I like the looks, the seat, and the power of the ST. Bottom end power of it and the C-14 feel close to the same, until the variable valve timing on the Kawi starts to work.

Bottom line for me was, it just seemed like you got "more" of everything with the C-14. 3yr warranty (Honda was 1), Better Suspension (WAY more adjustability, and IMO overall better components used), more torque, more hp, more "Gadgets", weight is within 10 lbs of each other etc...

When it came down to brass tacks, the left-over, new ST1300 was $5000 more than the left over, new C14. I think value wise, both bikes at the same money the C14 is more "value", spread the price apart by $5k, and it is more than an exceptional value.

IMO - The ST is one notch closer to a Gold Wing, and the C14 is one step closer to a sport bike from each other.

X2 on every point.

I'd add that the ST is a bit cramped for a taller guy. Even the Connie is a bit tight compared to taller bikes, like a couple BMW options, but the pegs can be lowered 2" comfortably on the Connie. That further reduces an already mediocre maximum lean angle, but the Connie is still a great machine in the twisties.

On enforcement use: I think you'll see more police agencies going to the C14 over the next two years, as Kawi finally has a good enforcement program (again) and many agencies are still concerned about the ST stability at speed. (The old KZ1000 enforcement bikes were fantastic and bullet-proof. Lots of the enforcement brass were young pups back when Kawi enforcement bikes were popular, so they remember the golden years :) The BMWs have been great, but expensive to maintain. The new water-cooled, wet-clutch K1600GT is fantastic, but it's having first-year-model-blues, and they're very spendy. I've ridden both a LOT, and I think the Connie is 90%+ of the bike for HALF the price.

Coming from the Harley you're going to be delighted no matter which you choose. Either way, you're going to be amazed by how cool it is to have acceleration, brakes, suspension, cornering, watertight luggage and dry pavement under the bike when it's parked. You'll also have your hearing after a ride through town. Both the Honda and the Kawi are safer to ride because of improved visibility -- because you won't have to wear a bag over your head.  ;)

Keep the Harley, leave the "real" motorcycles to us !! Hopefully, you only ride a Fat-Boy and are not one......LOL 

Just kidding, ride them both and decide for yourself -- Me?  I choose power over smoothness.....not that the C14 isn't pretty smooth.

If you want long distance all-weather riding, get the ST. If you are mostly interested in the sport aspect, get the Connie or consider an FJR.

I have an '04 ST1300 and an '10 Connie in my garage, along with an '11 Nomad. They each have there places in my riding.

I'm an old Harley rider for many years.  Stopped riding HDs in 1997 when I bought a Valkyrie ... then a Wing. 

Kept the 2001 Wing and bought a FJ1300.  Hated it to bits.  Could not add enough farkles to the bike to make it work for me comfot-wise.  Sold it.

Got a year old ST1300 and had it shipped from TX.  Excellent bike.  Rode it about 10,000 miles and decided I needed something different.  Kept the ST and got a ZX1400 Ninja delivered to my door.  Loved both, but decided in 2010 that I wanted to sell both and get a C14.

I love the C14.  Don't miss either of the previous bikes.

The comparison between the ST1300 vs C14 is a good one. 

The ST is more "tourer than sport" ... does all things OK, but not spectacular.

The C14 is more "sport than tourer" ... does all things the ST does and more better. (sic)  Plus some.

I guess the way to describe the comparison is the ST is more vanilla, the C14 is more pistachio.  More pizzazz in the C14.  More smiles.

Both are great bikes, the C14 is just better in every category.

I had a VN900 that got head-work, pipes, new fuel inj throttle body, cams, computer, new air intake. 116 to the rear on a dyno. Thought it was awesome fast. It's a pig compared to the concours. As for HD, I like the sportster motor a lot better than the evo. More potential, smoother, more reliable. But, what the cruiser world wants is either evos or evo clones. You will be amazed how fast you can efortlessly go from point a to point b on a concours compared to even the most wildly modified evo, shovel, pan or the like. And it will do it for a long long time! I have a friend that has 146,000 miles on his concours and it doesn't leak, and still runs fantastic. The reason I have ridden Kawis over HD's for the last 5 or 6 years is because they are better in every way- more power, more reliable, better fit and finnish, less vibration, less expensive by far to buy and maintain. The main reason I chose a Kawi over a Honda is because I like spicey shrimp and chicken better than I like fettuccini alfredo, know what I mean?