• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Starter has a mind of its own

bobct

Rode the C10 home from work. Stopped to fuel up 1.5 miles from home. Got home and turned the bike off with ignition switch, as soon as I shut it off the starter started spinning. I turned ignition on and bike fired up. Tried turning Master switch off on handle bar, starter started spinning, turned switch on engine fired up. Ok, put sidestand down put in first gear, simultaneously turned bike off and let out clutch and starter tried to push bike forward, pulled clutch lever and turned key on and fired back up.
Bike running in neutral, sidestand down, I get a screwdriver and hit near starter button on housing with screwdriver handle. Turned off bike and it shut down and starter not spinning. Started it up and shut it down without the starter kicking in.

I'm thinking of taking switch apart and cleaning it up. What has me confused is that the safety interlock didn't stop starter from spinning, maybe since bike was running the safety interlock was bypassed.

Anybody ever have a similar situation?
If the starter switch was stuck was the starter trying to engage while the bike was running?

UPDATES
Key/master switch off should of killed power to the starter switch?

I googled generic stuck closed starter solenoid, and it happens, I'm thinking the solenoid was stuck closed or getting signal somehow to fire up starter. Bypasses safety interlock.
Intermittent electrical problems stink.

BTW
Jbox reflowed @5 years ago
Intermittent clock reset never tracked down cause, hasn't happened again in about 3weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: