• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stock 09 seat question

gp74

I've got a Sargent World Sport Seat that's not comfortable to me. I'm wondering how comfortable the stock seat for an 09 is, thinking about getting one if the consensus is good. I have no idea b/c mine came with the Sargent. Also, does anyone know if gen 1 seats fit all gen 2s. Thanks

No difference across all years as to fitment. Few like the stock seat. Try an airhawk inflatable cushion with very minimal air or cut to the chase and get a Russell if your budget permits.

GP, reach out to others in your area.
I suspect someone would let you use their stocker for a test ride or even swap with you so that each of you could compare.

Ride safe, Ted

No difference across all years as to fitment. Few like the stock seat. Try an airhawk inflatable cushion with very minimal air or cut to the chase and get a Russell if your budget permits.
I have a biker cushion from bikercushion.com, similar to airhawk, and I've tried it with very minimal air and a bit more air, still kills my rear. In fact used it yesterday, 320 miles up to the mountains...ouch!

Ok, I'm in Houston and have a stocker, but shipping would not be worthwhile. Hopefully someone is near you.

Post a request in this discussion and maybe someone near you will swap seats or let you use a stocker temporarily.
If no replies, use your member handbook and call around. Lots of COGgers in Georgia.

Also, consider coming to the Horseshoe Mountain Rally at Cliffs in April.
I (or someone) would have a stocker for you to try.

Ride safe, Ted

Near Augusta,Ga
If a couple hours south of you in guyton. I have the kawasaki touring seat, which is a significant improvement over the stock seat.. if you wanna ride down and give it a try, I can help you out.. or meet in the middle.....pm me....

Here's my 2 cents and continuing voyage oseats....

I also acquired my 2010 with a sergeant, and like u found out...too hard..so I found a corbin 2 piece, but it was also firm but doable for.long hauls with an airhawk. I.put 10k miles on the corbin, waiting for it to soften up....it never did!!

So I got rid of the sergeant and found an 09 stock gel seat. Too much forward slope for my taste and didn't m notice any 'gel' performance benefits. So got rid of it and bought a used RDL that felt good but wasn't built for me and had way too.much forward slope. Russell wanted $400+ to rebuild it to.my physique. I put that on hold and found the kawasaki touring seat....and omg...nice. great for just beating around and is satisfactory for longer 400+ mile rides to the nationals...so I passed the corbin on to another cogger, and continued my search. I just recently purchased a new, used 3 times saddleman, but I haven't had an opportunity to give it a try yet...

My plan is to keep the touring seat as my rte seat , and use either the saddleman (if it plays out) or the RDL (after yhe rebuild) as my long distance seat...

Gp74...my searching lead me to discount the 08+09 seats, the 2010-2015 are slightly better than the gen 1 seats, BUT the 2016 and newer seats were tweaked towards the direction they took for the touring saddle....jmho...

Gp74...my searching lead me to discount the 08+09 seats, the 2010-2015 are slightly better than the gen 1 seats, BUT the 2016 and newer seats were tweaked towards the direction they took for the touring saddle....jmho...
So there's a pretty big improvement on the 2016+ seats. My problem is the Sargent is too firm for my preference, especially for the shape it takes. Maybe if it had wings like the RDL, or I think...the Corbin, it might be more comfortable. Are the 2016+ seats padded better, and/or reshaped? I'm just wondering what the difference is between them and the earlier seats.

Although I see where you and others seem to like the touring seat...hmmm. Maybe that would be a good option. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Ok, I'm in Houston and have a stocker, but shipping would not be worthwhile. Hopefully someone is near you.

Post a request in this discussion and maybe someone near you will swap seats or let you use a stocker temporarily.
If no replies, use your member handbook and call around. Lots of COGgers in Georgia.

Also, consider coming to the Horseshoe Mountain Rally at Cliffs in April.
I (or someone) would have a stocker for you to try.

Ride safe, Ted
Would like to go, but not with this seat...lol. Good idea about the handbook...thanks!

I had.read.the padding was changed. I.forgot I had one of.those as well, butt (pun.intended) having a.buddy who loaned me touring seat for a test ride, sold me on searching and waiting for a.touring seat to come up for.sale... I passed the 2016 on to another happy.cogger..

I.liked.the shape of the corbin... it just stayed hard. I.have another buddy with a corbin 1 piece and he and his.wife love it... yes its on a c14.

I had.read.the padding was changed. I.forgot I had one of.those as well, butt (pun.intended) having a.buddy who loaned me touring seat for a test ride, sold me on searching and waiting for a.touring seat to come up for.sale... I passed the 2016 on to another happy.cogger..

I.liked.the shape of the corbin... it just stayed hard. I.have another buddy with a corbin 1 piece and he and his.wife love it... yes its on a c14.
Yeah, what's good for one isn't for another, especially with seats. I had a Corbin on my fjr a few years back...too firm for me too, but some others really like them. Bottom line for me is that I need a softer padded seat with of course, a good shape.

I see you're in Ga. I bought my bike from a guy in Pembroke last May. Pretty close to you.

PM Sent

Last edited:
2008-2009 seat contour is so similar to the old Connie my C10 bead rider fit on my C14 seat. It's all I've ever needed to prevent hot spots and ventilate my rear end for long days in the saddle.

I was given an airhawk inflatable cushion today. Tried it on the Suzuki. It helps quite a lot!

I've got a Sargent World Sport Seat that's not comfortable to me. I'm wondering how comfortable the stock seat for an 09 is, thinking about getting one if the consensus is good. I have no idea b/c mine came with the Sargent. Also, does anyone know if gen 1 seats fit all gen 2s. Thanks
There is a nice looking OEM seat in the Detroit Craigslist for an unbeatable price. You might want to snap it up right away regardless of what you discover from this thread. A great spare to have around.

There is a nice looking OEM seat in the Detroit Craigslist for an unbeatable price. You might want to snap it up right away regardless of what you discover from this thread. A great spare to have around.
The add lists local purchases only and no shipping; however, I would bet there are some COG folks close by who would buy and ship to you.

Seats, seats, and more seats. I'm looking for a touring seat. I have an oem and an almost new silver thread 1-piece Corbin seat I just purchased from a fellow cogger. Riding the oem seat on longer rides (300 - 400) mi. I get hotspots. Riding the Corbin seat and I tend to sit on the front horn of it because I like riding up front near the tank - better control maybe? So I'm still on the "best for me" seat hunt. Once I find a touring seat I'll sell the oem and Corbin. Thanks, ed

RDLs and touring seats seem pretty difficult to come by, so just maybe a 2016+ seat will work better for me. You guys on the 2016+ bikes, any other opinions on the OEM stock seat. Not looking to spend 700 bucks on a new seat.

I have a biker cushion from bikercushion.com, similar to airhawk, and I've tried it with very minimal air and a bit more air, still kills my rear. In fact used it yesterday, 320 miles up to the mountains...ouch!
I unfamiliar with the biker cushion product however use an Airhawk and move it forward, almost riding up the tank a bit. This provides for day long comfort no matter the temperature.

Where in the saddle are you hurting? If it’s the front side I’d consider trying to raise the cushion to widen the seat and be a ‘barrier’ between front of the seat and the tank. The forward push of the stock seat is what gets me after 500 miles in a day, with airhawk for me 700+ mile days are no problem on the rump and all else down there.

My wife also uses an airhawk, has for many years, and I suspect would not ride without one.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I unfamiliar with the biker cushion product however use an Airhawk and move it forward, almost riding up the tank a bit. This provides for day long comfort no matter the temperature.

Where in the saddle are you hurting? If it’s the front side I’d consider trying to raise the cushion to widen the seat and be a ‘barrier’ between front of the seat and the tank. The forward push of the stock seat is what gets me after 500 miles in a day, with airhawk for me 700+ mile days are no problem on the rump and all else down there.

My wife also uses an airhawk, has for many years, and I suspect would not ride without one.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I'm fine up front, the Sargent holds my position well. The pain is right under the ol cheek bones. I see mixed results on the airhawk, but those that like them seem to swear by them.

I'm fine up front, the Sargent holds my position well. The pain is right under the ol cheek bones. I see mixed results on the airhawk, but those that like them seem to swear by them.
I was not comfortable with the Airhawk at first, I felt disconnected from the machine and as if I was sitting atop a beach ball.

I found after further examination and try-storming that I had overfilled the air bladder.

Last year was my first full year of using the airhawk and it’s been a lifesaver and extends my riding comfort to longer miles and less distraction from an aching bottom.

Note: I recently test rode a machine I did some work on that had a brand new Corbin on it. For my soft tail it was very hard and boy I missed that Airhawk after just 20 miles and at 250 miles I was happy to be home! Each of us has a little different rump.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Note: I recently test rode a machine ... after just 20 miles and at 250 miles I was happy to be home! Each of us has a little different rump.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Yep... in my experience (not a newbie, but somewhat experienced ) shape that fits my butt is the key.... it's also the hardest to get right. My last two seats were pure custom on the manufacturer's seat-pan -- about 200k accumulative. Admittedly those were on two touring/cruising bikes, but the goal is that the saddle should be comfortable enough that I can ride, discomfort-free, for as long as I can hold my eyes open. That was achievable on previous bikes but I wanted more range, so bought a C10 some years back, then in a moment of adrenaline overload got a C14 -- now I'm trying to fix the road comfort issue... have tried a few Band-Aids, but think I'll return to a custom and hope they get it right again...

I was not comfortable with the Airhawk at first, I felt disconnected from the machine and as if I was sitting atop a beach ball.

I found after further examination and try-storming that I had overfilled the air bladder.

Last year was my first full year of using the airhawk and it’s been a lifesaver and extends my riding comfort to longer miles and less distraction from an aching bottom.

Note: I recently test rode a machine I did some work on that had a brand new Corbin on it. For my soft tail it was very hard and boy I missed that Airhawk after just 20 miles and at 250 miles I was happy to be home! Each of us has a little different rump.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
I might have a chance at getting a 2 piece Corbin. Was that Corbin you were on a 1 or 2 piece. I think the 2 piece seats seem a bit more flared out, to give more surface area to help decrease pressure points. At least I'm hoping that's the case.

I might have a chance at getting a 2 piece Corbin. Was that Corbin you were on a 1 or 2 piece. I think the 2 piece seats seem a bit more flared out, to give more surface area to help decrease pressure points. At least I'm hoping that's the case.
1 piece on a C10.

My Corbin 2 piece was ok for around towning..good for 150 miles. After that anything more than than I'd have to pull out the airhawk...

I.put over 10,000 miles on that corbin waiting for it to 'break in'.... when I sold it it was as firm as when I bought it...

My Corbin 2 piece was ok for around towning..good for 150 miles. After that anything more than than I'd have to pull out the airhawk...

I.put over 10,000 miles on that corbin waiting for it to 'break in'.... when I sold it it was as firm as when I bought it...
Granted just sitting on it, but David's 2 piece felt pretty good, a bit firm as all Corbins are, but flaired to dispense weight better. I've had 2 Corbins, but both were 1 piece and not very comfortable for me. I guess getting a 2 piece would be a crap shoot, but that's pretty much the case most of the time. Still searching and checking all options.

- now I'm trying to fix the road comfort issue... have tried a few Band-Aids, but think I'll return to a custom and hope they get it right again...
Answering myself (forum version of talking to myself I suspect ;)). My new leather BMS saddle arrived today -- plan to try it out over the weekend. Just over a month from first conversation with Adrian, to taking the usual pictures/measurements/discussions to shipping the seat back and forth from VA-CA-VA, etc... more later...

Answering myself (forum version of talking to myself I suspect ;)). My new leather BMS saddle arrived today -- plan to try it out over the weekend. Just over a month from first conversation with Adrian, to taking the usual pictures/measurements/discussions to shipping the seat back and forth from VA-CA-VA, etc... more later...
Hope she feels great!

I've had my 2009 since 2014 and had the same problem as all of you. Butt(pun intended)I went this route:
1) 2009 Zx14 seat
2)Airhawk
3)added an AirFlow seat cover.
80k miles and my scrawny tushie is quite happy!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230323_121327_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230323_121327_Chrome.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 41