• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

stock exhaust question

Pete_COG_TN

I'd like to put a stock exhaust back on a 2017 I just bought. Yeah I know but I like it very quiet. Anyway looking at some on Ebay, they all seem to have a dent in the mid-pipe toward the front of it. I'm starting to figure that's a relief Kaw put there for clearance. For those of you that have seen alot of these, is that right?

It currently has a nice 14" Delkevic on it I'll sell once I find a stocker to put on. The sound just isn't for me though.

I 'm pretty sure that your correct about the dent being intentional.
The mid pipe is double wall Constuction and I think the dent is in the outside wall only.

But prolly don't have to but on Ebay. Occasionally one comes up on the Forum for free/shipping only.
Someone may even be near you that has one.

Last edited:
There are actually a couple of "dents", they are clearance dents for the stock exhaust and muffler.

I have a 18 inch carbon Delkevic on mine that replaced a 16 inch black widow. Made a big difference in the sound volume coming back to my ear. It is louder than stock, but not that much.

OK thanks for the replies guys. Looking at mine, one dent location on the stocker's is where the center stand is (or will be when I install it). I guess the aftermarket guys route the pipe a little further out. Yeah Ted maybe I try a pipe wanted ad in the classifieds first. Somebody has one there but he's a guest, so not sure he gets on the forum much. I left him a reply. Being a guest I'm not sure I can PM him.

thanks
Pete

When I installed a ZX14 header I used Two Brother's exhaust cans, It was too loud for me also,

someone on here suggested adding exhaust tip reducers, which fixed the noise problem

Last edited:

It's a lot easier to change mufflers. Those cats are restrictive, If you do change headers, use new nuts, Fuji...

Last edited:
Thanks Cuda. It's got a Delkevic on it now, doubt the Two Bros. Powertips would interface with it. It would be cool to have a whole stock zx-14 duals setup, though heavy. The aftermarket systems definitely look better. Anyway, I'm still getting other farkles moved over right now. And this being a low mileage bike (like 1700mi) it's got the OEM crapstones on it, so I'll gotta put some tires on it. Kind of dangerous if your used to good tires and then ride on these things.

I would call Delkevic. and ask about making your system quiet

I'd use a stocker and do a baffelectomy on it.

On a C-10 adding Cobra Mufflers gained a bit of torque/peak HP.
Did dyno Tests and stockers with baffelectomy did the same and cost nothing.
And the sound barely changes.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks Sean for the offer. Ron in GA has one and is sending it to me. Shipping is high enough from GA. being so bulky and heavy. But thanks for the offer. I think Ron already has it on it's way.

Yeah I'm mainly going for the stocker for the quiet. The delk even with the silencer in it is a bit noisy though not much and I thought I remember Steve saying before, that it makes less power than stock with the db killer in it. Thanks for confirming that Steve. The Delk has a nice sound but I don't like hearing it all the time. I always thought is was cool that the Japanese fours are very fast but smooth & quiet at the same time.