• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Straight rate Springs

danny sparks

Having trouble finding the correct air gap and oil level.I have a set of 86 forks that someone in the past has changed the springs. I have no idea who made them .the springs are approximately 4omm longer than stock springs. Also very tightly wound.  I have tried the 355mm setting. But have popped a seal.... I think the displacement at the bottom of the spring is pushing more oil up lowering the air gap...anyone have any ideas. ..cheers chaps..

Are you adding air to the forks on the 86 ?
If so, that ain't good if the springs are non stock.
Is there a spacer in the fork?
What level and method did you use to measure fill, compressed, or extended? Both without springs....

I can't imagine that the springs are so tightly wound that it would make that much difference than stock.
I suspect you used the incorrect method to measure the oil level.

This is not the specified method for the 86, but works fine.
  Shocks "compressed", no springs, set the oil level to 6 1/2"..
  Then; extend the shocks, install the springs etc, and install the caps.

Ride safe, Ted

He's doing '86 forks.... that oil level is measured with foks extended, spring removed, and the 355mm is correct... I suspect someone installed post 94 fork springs, which are in fact 40 mm longer... pre 94 iirc has a tubular spacer, which is not used when installing Progressive brand springs, which can be used on both pre and post 94 bikes.. but that spacer gets ditched when doing so.

Let's wait to hear, and again, if the longernsprings are Progressive brand, no air should be added... fork oil level still remains the same tho... the springs do not effect that level to the extent of creating a too high level.