• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stuck bolt

mholeshot

I'm trying to rebuild my front shocks. The Allen bolt that goes in from the bottom seems to have broke loose. Or so I thought. Now the insides just turn with it.
I saw, and can't find it again, a video that explains how to build a tool to hold the insides so you can wrestle the bolt out.
Anyone have the recipe for that tool or have other suggestions?
Thank you!

Here's one method. There are 2 nuts with a washer in between. A bit of paper wedged in to keep it from falling out. HTH

Attachments

• IMG_20220413_101535_601.jpg
    IMG_20220413_101535_601.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 130
Some have shaved down a wooden broomstick and jammed it in to hold it . I made a tool with some all thread and 2 nuts jammed together .

A length of all thread, 4 nuts of the correct size. (I don't remember what it is right now) 2 nuts at each end of the all thread tightened into each other. Clamp one end in a vice, insert fork over other end until the nut seats into the metering tube, take the bolt out.

I can take a picture of mine on Friday if you need it.

Here's what I use:

Threaded Rod = 5/8 in.
Nuts = 15/16 in.
View attachment 32194
That what I have. Live and work in different locations, so what I need is always at the other location. I brought my 05 forks to the tooling location to do them over the winter. State inspection and got to ride to work a couple of nights this week.

I used this via Amazon

Performance Tool W32888 1/2-Inch Drive 15/16-Inch Hex Bit Socket worked great; yes not the cheapest​

Still very cheap compared to having the work done - and it takes very little room to store in the toolbox.

I used a broom handle for years, but eventually went with a similar arrangement for the KLR,, but works on the Connie too. Since I have a welder, I just welded the engaging nut in place, and also further up to hold the mess when backing out the Allen head bolt.

damper%20rod%20holder-X2.jpg

Img_3016-X2.jpg