• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Suspension Settings

efrancis

Big Wheel
I have enjoyed my black 09 C14 for 3 months now. It has exceeded all of my expectations for engine performance and handling. The stock suspension setup seems to be a good blend of comfort and handling for my size ( 6-1, 200 ) . Interested in what suspension changes owners have made and what the results have been. If anything, I would lean toward the handling side of such adjustments.

Ed, I don't have a C14 but I would recommend checking out the COG club by attending one of the rides. There's one scheduled for this Saturday to Mount Greylock. This will give you an opportunity to chat directly with C14 owners and compare notes. Check the North East calendar on the main page. Hope to meet you on a COG ride or rally. I'm from Hopedale, MA - next to Milford. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Ed - I have an 09 as well, I am interested in this topic as well since I'd like to adjust the nose dive on hard braking without changing the ride to much.. BTW I'm not to far from ya over here in Rhode Island

As I have done with my other bikes, I decided to use the trial and error method . After double checking the owners manual I firmed up the front suspension by going 2 clicks clockwise on the rebound damping and 2 lines down on the spring preload ( 4 sections, 5 lines showing) . I went 2 clicks firmer on rear spring preload. I figure that if the bike is set up at the factory for a 150 pound rider and I weign 200 that would be the least I could do. The result was a firmer feel with quicker turn in and a more nimble transition from corner to corner in the twisties. I feel the bumps more but that is the price you pay. I have read some comments in forums that it is better soften the front suspension rather than firm it up. To each his own. I like what I am getting from the firmer suspension but I likely will not firm it up any more right away. Too hard on this old back.

I am going to assume that preload is preload and should be set like on a C10 or other bike. And that is to set the ride height by adjusting the front sag to 30-35mm. http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/preload_tech_article.php http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/setting_sag_street_tech_article.php 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

What settings does a C14 have on Front? On Back? 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

The C14 has adjustable preload settings on the front springs and rear shock as well as rebound damping adjustments both front and rear. There is no external adjustment for compression damping on the front forks. Your owners manual gives you guidelines for setting the adjustments for an "average rider"of around 150 lbs or so and is listed on pages 192 for the front suspension (14mm preload showing from top of cap and 5 clicks out from seated on rebound) and 195&196 for the rear shock (12 clicks from fully seated on preload and 1&1/4 turns out from seated on rebound.) These settings should give you a good starting point. I weigh about 185 or so with all my gear on, and I increased the preload on my front forks to having 5 marks showing, and left the damping at 5 click, and I increased the rear pre-load by 2 clicks to 14 and the rear damping by 1/4 of a turn or so. This seems to work for me.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
The C14 has adjustable preload settings on the front springs and rear shock as well as rebound damping adjustments both front and rear. There is no external adjustment for compression damping on the front forks.    Your owners manual gives you guidelines for setting the adjustments for an "average rider"of around 150 lbs or so and is listed on pages 192 for the front suspension (14mm preload showing from top of cap and 5 clicks out from seated on rebound)  and 195&196 for the rear shock (12 clicks from fully seated on preload and 1&1/4 turns out from seated on rebound.) These settings should give you a good starting point.    I weigh about 185 or so with all my gear on, and I increased the preload on my front forks to having 5 marks showing, and left the damping at 5 click, and I increased the rear pre-load by 2 clicks to 14 and the rear damping by 1/4 of a turn or so. This seems to work for me.

Here it is...  I am leaving early in the morning for Sturgis SD and now that my bike is packed with the 2 side bags full, Givi top case, extra bag on the passenger seat plus a tank bag... I've got some weight happening.  I know, don't' drop it!

I want to be sure my rear damping is set correctly.  Honesly, with the wife on and off the bike I can't remember where "normal" setting is any more.
1) if i bottom out the knob to "zero", how many clicks would bring me back to the factory setting?
2) I weight about 180 and have approx 65 lbs in cases. any suggestions where so set this rear knob adjustment?

Moto Madness said:
Fred_Harmon_TX said:
The C14 has adjustable preload settings on the front springs and rear shock as well as rebound damping adjustments both front and rear. There is no external adjustment for compression damping on the front forks.    Your owners manual gives you guidelines for setting the adjustments for an "average rider"of around 150 lbs or so and is listed on pages 192 for the front suspension (14mm preload showing from top of cap and 5 clicks out from seated on rebound)  and 195&196 for the rear shock (12 clicks from fully seated on preload and 1&1/4 turns out from seated on rebound.) These settings should give you a good starting point.    I weigh about 185 or so with all my gear on, and I increased the preload on my front forks to having 5 marks showing, and left the damping at 5 click, and I increased the rear pre-load by 2 clicks to 14 and the rear damping by 1/4 of a turn or so. This seems to work for me.

Here it is...  I am leaving early in the morning for Sturgis SD and now that my bike is packed with the 2 side bags full, Givi top case, extra bag on the passenger seat plus a tank bag... I've got some weight happening.  I know, don't' drop it!

I want to be sure my rear damping is set correctly.  Honesly, with the wife on and off the bike I can't remember where "normal" setting is any more.
1) if i bottom out the knob to "zero", how many clicks would bring me back to the factory setting?
2) I weight about 180 and have approx 65 lbs in cases. any suggestions where so set this rear knob adjustment?

Here's what I do MM, I'm only 160 lbs though...

Just me = +5 clicks from soft

Me and passenger = +15 clicks (20 total)

Me and passenger and both side bags and trunk loaded = +5 more clicks (25 total)

Hope this helps, have a great trip, sounds like good times for sure!!  :13:

Hey MM, My wife and I are leaving for Sturgis early Thursday morning from Mission Viejo. Have a great trip and I will be looking for that Shiny Black 2009. On the suspension question, I am 6'5" tall and weigh in at 260. I would say I am closer to how Fred figures it. I just add clicks for my higher weight. MM seems pretty close too.  8)

Hi Rusty,
thanks for the adj tips. Hope your trip was as good as mine!  I will create another post shortly focused on the highway pegs.

on this bike i have maxed out everything stiff hard setting everything im 220lbs 6'1" . 2008 concours , it rolls through the turns good now  >:D  if its soft it handles like a fat pig , and is unsafe .

When you say 5 marks showing are you bringing the 5th line to the edge? Can you give us a proper measurement?