• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Suzuki Boulevard

croach1776

Tonto
Recently purchased an 08 C50 with less than 500 miles. Have been looking at getting a V-twin to round out my herd. Have owned several Suzukis (first bike). Researched all the majors but this was best deal from long term perspective. Same dealer purchased Connie from so felt comfortable. Plus 55+ mpg was also major purchase incentive, even in LSS gas creeping closer to 4 bucks per gallon. Have had her for about three weeks now and very satisfied with her.  Have purchased a back pack so that I can ride her to tennis matches and small errands plus the bar-hopping. Dont think she is setup for any LD riding (might need new seat and better wind protection) but still have Connie for serious LD riding. Speaking of Connie, am in the middle of my first valve adjust at 50K mark. All valves were tight but waiting on better feeler gauge set before I consider job done. After that is complete will do the carbs - complete cleaning and upgrade. Then its new brake lines, and some additional farkles (fender extender, electrical accessories - fuse box, etc) then fix the fairings and windshield damage due to cager knocking her over in parking lot. Then hopefully another Iron Butt ride (BB1500) this spring/summer.

I had a C50 for a while, put about 15k on it before I sold it and bought a Vulcan 1600. It's a nice bike. Probably the stock seat and brakes are it's worst attributes. They can definitely handle LD, I did a trip to Niagara Falls on mine, 500+ miles each way. The other issue is highway riding, once you start going 75 or so, it gets knocked around some, and the fuel economy tanks. For a putter around town kind if bike, it's awesome.

I averaged 45 on mine, and if I took my windshield off, I could get 50. Never saw 55mpg.

There is a great Boulevard forum, volusiariders.com.

I've got an '09, windshield and bags.  Get about 40mpg, but that's mostly in town commuting.  I have used it for one 500 mile round trip.  That's why I bought a Connie  ;D

BTW, the speedo indicates about 10% fast on most of these, and that "improves" the measured mileage w/o actually saving you any money.  Also running above an indicated 60 or so kills mileage. 
Recommended forum: http://www.volusiariders.com/

I have checked my mileage twice. 51 and 54 mpg.  But I dont hammer it too much - usually stay below 55mph.  Yes its a great bike for commuting and short trips.  Going from 300 bucks a month for gas to less than a 100 is like getting a 200 a month raise. Instead of filling EXXON shareholders pocketbooks, I am saving on gas and paying for something I enjoy and will have for long time.

I have an '04 VL1500 Intruder and love it. It gets 35-38mpg two-up with pipes, rejetted carbs, lots of bling and two full-size people behind a windshield. We have ridden it on several 450 mile per day trips with no issues. It now has 47k miles on it. The bike handles well, has good brakes, has 55hp but more torque and is just fun to ride. Huge rider seat is comfortable.

They are really nice bikes.