• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SW Fall Rally?

CaffeineMan

In the shadow of the Valley of Death
What (if any) are the plans for a SW fall rally?  In another thread, there was discussion about riding in the Devil's Highway area of AZ and someone implied that there may be something in the works regarding this.

Any AAD's wanna leak some plans?  ;D

I'm up for this area.  I vote for Oct. 26-28, as it's Nevada Day weekend and we get Friday off.  :)

Edited to add:  I'm up for a low-overhead event.  Everyone just show up at the same motel at the same time and ride.
:beerchug:

Brian I sent Old Man some info on Springerville area he was thinking of a 191 get together. 

My wife and I just did a recon up there yesterday. I was thinking possibly setting it up for sometime in September. October might be too late for that area. It's up around 9000' so bad weather is a real possibility in October. I was getting ready to contact OMC so I'll be posting info real soon. We stopped at Reed's Lodge in Springerville and spoke with the owners. She let us see a couple of the rooms which were very clean and they are very motorcycle friendly.

Fully IN! You folks are the BEST! Let me know how to support! You have the full weight of SWCOG behind you ( about 760 lbs all told) but we have a long lever to increase torque.  ;)

September works.  As long as it's during the school year.  ;D

My trip to the National this year was great in terms of roads but the kids crowding the pools and hot tubs I could have done without.  :character0029:

I went through Alpine in mid-October 2016 on my way to Texas for the Big Bend rally and had no issues.  But maybe I was just lucky.

Excellent choice!
Usually ride to Alpine a couple times or more a year...really like it...
Great roads in all directions...
They paved the three forks Road from US 191 to big lake a couple of years ago and it really a great ride through the Forrest...then hit 273/ 261 to Springville...
Sportsman Lodge in "downtown" Alpine is very motorcycle friendly, might not have enough rooms though...a better stay than what Springville offers...
Tai WiWi with lodge is nice but pricier and not walking distance to Alpine restaurants and stores.

Late Sept is best, the shady spots on US 191 don't get Sun in the fall Oct..Nov...can freeze up and be slick...snowed last year...fun times!

Reeds Motor Lodge is where we stayed as Charby said clean rooms, friendly staff, fair rates and the only place to get a 191 ride T-shirt (very good quality).  Restaurants close by one just across street Booga Reds, within walking distance Safire less than a quarter mile west we liked this one the best good breakfast and dinner. Another is Trailriders  about a mile away. All have BARS Important too some of this group!
East of here about 110 miles is the Very Large Array Antennas 82 foot diameter discs. Good back roads to ride as well.

I know I can't  this year but I have seen Mark up here once already this year and did a little arm twisting to get him to come back and now his is making plans to come again. Hoping for a trip south next year and hope you all have a great regional this year!!!

Charby said:
My wife and I just did a recon up there yesterday. I was thinking possibly setting it up for sometime in September. October might be too late for that area. It's up around 9000' so bad weather is a real possibility in October. I was getting ready to contact OMC so I'll be posting info real soon. We stopped at Reed's Lodge in Springerville and spoke with the owners. She let us see a couple of the rooms which were very clean and they are very motorcycle friendly.

I ridden the Devils Highway many of many of times in October.  A couple of us plan to ride it again this year after were done with Utah.  There is a small chance of some snow, but for the most part October is a great month to ride up there.

Bad Example said:
Excellent choice!
Usually ride to Alpine a couple times or more a year...really like it...
Great roads in all directions...
They paved the three forks Road from US 191 to big lake a couple of years ago and it really a great ride through the Forrest...then hit 273/ 261 to Springville...
Sportsman Lodge in "downtown" Alpine is very motorcycle friendly, might not have enough rooms though...a better stay than what Springville offers...
Tai WiWi with lodge is nice but pricier and not walking distance to Alpine restaurants and stores.

Late Sept is best, the shady spots on US 191 don't get Sun in the fall Oct..Nov...can freeze up and be slick...snowed last year...fun times!

Hey Brad!  Gonna join us if (when) this thing goes down?  No more coolant leaks on my C10 since that Prescott trip...

I stayed at Sportsman's Lodge on my trip to the National this year and it was pleasant, although I hate me some gravel parking lots.  I figured the sportsmen would have it all staked out in the fall.  Within easy walking distance of a bar/restaurant.

CaffeineMan said:
Hey Brad!  Gonna join us if (when) this thing goes down?  No more coolant leaks on my C10 since that Prescott trip...

I stayed at Sportsman's Lodge on my trip to the National this year and it was pleasant, although I hate me some gravel parking lots.  I figured the sportsmen would have it all staked out in the fall.  Within easy walking distance of a bar/restaurant.

Brian, how goes it? Hopefully schedule will work, this is a great area of AZ. Bike is ready to go..haha..Standing by for details...

Thinking a good bourbon will be in order for this social? Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare if I can find it...Four Roses Single Barrel?....I will have to pack light to accommodate the appropriate ummm...provisions....

Is there convergence on a date for this?  I know the SWCOG staff is working on this.  I'll probably be in, but I need to plan.

:motonoises:

Just talked to Charby. We are on! Hope to have on the calendar this week. Riders...............start your planning.

Friday Sept 7th and Saturday Sept 8th. Jet Fixer and I will probably spend Thursday night up there too. As soon as Mark post it I'll put out more info on the hotel and area.

Charby said:
Friday Sept 7th and Saturday Sept 8th. Jet Fixer and I will probably spend Thursday night up there too. As soon as Mark post it I'll put out more info on the hotel and area.
Great job Dan! I shall work diligently. :great: :motonoises: :beerchug:

It's posted under events! I'll start a new thread titled 'Southwest Meet and Greet' with more info.  :great: