• Forum Subscribers and COG Members, please be aware of policy changes put into effect due to action of the COG board of directors based on input from members. The new membership system makes it possible to implement these changes.

Forum Subscribers – Forum Subscribers get a six-month limited feature trial forum membership. Forum Subscribers Read the Details Here.

Members – Your full forum access is only in effect while your membership status is active. Members Read the Details Here

• FORUM NAME - If you are a COG Member and your user name does not match your name in the old forum or you just want a new one, you can now change it on your own. Read the Details Here

• *READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * If you are a current COG Member or Forum Subscriber and this is your first visit to our new site and forum, please go to www.concour.org and follow the instructions at the top of the page to activate your account and gain access to your site and forum.
  • READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SW Travel to the 2018 Nat Kerrville TX

OMoaC

Aye. Picking up the loaner bike from Ma Kaw at the HQ in Lake Forest CA. The traffic will suck. Bless CA filtering laws. One of the few smart decisions CA has made.

Tjhohmann

Hmm. If you could get them to shuttle the bikes up to Santa Monica for pickup it would make for a much better day 1 ride.

Tjhohmann

And yeah, every once in a while the CA legislature forgets themselves and passes a sensible law. But not often... 

kv5e

South Central Area Director - COG 5063
Staff member
Hey, if you all are coming in on I 10 or down from NM, why not plan riding down TX 118 to Fort Davis, TX 17 to Marfa, US67 to Presidio and then FM 170 (The River Road)

over to Study Butte. Then you could pick up TX 118 up to Alpine and then US 90 East through Langtry (Judge Roy Bean) and across the Pecos River Bridge

and then catch the Three Sisters from the "back end"  ;D to Kerrville.

If in Study Butte, eat here!:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g56758-d1984003-Reviews-Rio_Bravo_Restaurant-Terlingua_Texas.html

Carumba!!!!! You could even stop off at Terlingua Ghost Town on FM 170.

This catches the Top Roads in the Big Bend area. You will have to bungie your jaws closed after riding those roads!

There is also El Patio in Presidio which has great "Meskin" Food:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g56498-d590249-Reviews-El_Patio-Presidio_Texas.html

Make sure you stop and hydrate well before the River Road, it is the most technical road in TX (IMHO) and needs your full attention! :motonoises: :-\ :-\ :motonoises: :-\ :72:

Craig

kv5e

Staff member
From I 10 to TX 118 - Kent, Texas - South through the Davis Mountains, first section is through Robbers Roost and then into tight twisties, then you pass by McDonald Observatory and down to historic Fort Davis.

TX 17 - This is a shortcut to Marfa to catch US 67

US 67 - Take US 67 south out of Marfa and the Marfa Plateau, then into triple digit sweepers in the Chinati foothills  :motonoises: :motonoises: and the descent into Presidio.

FM 170 East - This is the River Road and the first section going east is scenic but not overly technical, once you pass Santana Canyon you climb up  a scenic 20% grade that starts the "bit of fun" section. The Terlingua Ghost town and Rio Bravo restaurant are to the west of Study Butte and the end of the River Road. Gas at Study Butte at the Alon station.

TX 118 North - this climbs out of Study Butte up into Green Valley and then some fine speed limiter test sections of high visibility straightaways. Climbs through the great sweepers and then through a border check point. After this it is a final section of nice twisties into Alpine.

Alpine might make a great stop for the night. highlandinn.net Affordable COG SLEEP

Next morning US 90 east from Alpine takes you through Marathon, Sanderson, Langtry, and then Del Rio. You can catch US 377 here or continue on US 90 to Uvalde and then north to ravish the Three Sisters.

OMoaC

Day 1 is scheduled for June 4. Long day down from ALB NM Tres Hermana. Takin' suggestions. https://goo.gl/maps/BD29FihSB4k

kv5e

Staff member
Old Man on a Connie said:
Day 1 is scheduled for June 4. Long day down from ALB NM Tres Hermana. Takin' suggestions. https://goo.gl/maps/BD29FihSB4k

That's a long day but good route......need to eat miles . . . . . that is the way to go.

The route I suggested would add at least one additional day.

If you are returning the back in SoCAL, catch Big Bend on the way back?

Big Bend is epic, but would not support a NAT due to hotels........ the roads there are TOP SHELF.

CaffeineMan

In the shadow of the Valley of Death
kv5e said:
Big Bend is epic, but would not support a NAT due to hotels........ the roads there are TOP SHELF.

So true!

Dang Craig, now you got me thinking.  I'm already retracing most of my route down to Big Bend, and if I use an extra day, instead of going Carlsbad directly to Del Rio, I can stay in Alpine and hit up Big Bend on my way to Del Rio.

Any good places to stay/eat in Del Rio?  Or is there a better stop mid-way between, say, Alpine, and Kerrville.  I'm trying to keep my riding days between 300-400 miles.

Tjhohmann

Day 1 is scheduled for June 4.

Cool. Barring any unforeseen conflicts I should be able to join at least as far as Morro Bay.

I understand now why you're starting in OC, but would renew my suggestion to get on PCH in Santa Monica rather than going up 405/101 through the Valley. And plan to get out of Lake Forest either before 7AM or after about 9AM.

OMoaC

TJSocal said:

Cool. Barring any unforeseen conflicts I should be able to join at least as far as Morro Bay.

I understand now why you're starting in OC, but would renew my suggestion to get on PCH in Santa Monica rather than going up 405/101 through the Valley. And plan to get out of Lake Forest either before 7AM or after about 9AM.
Cool :great: Yeah prolly after 9a after PR stuff and packing. I'll take a look at that Santa Monica route. Isn't that alot of stop and go through Malibu etc? Though may be something fun for the Euros to C.  :beerchug:

Tjhohmann

There are some traffic lights (not a ton) until you get past Malibu but you're right on the beach so the scenery makes up for it. Weekday morning it may be a quicker route also, traffic will probably be pretty light. Summer weekends is when it tends to be stop-n-go.

Tjhohmann

Preview. This is southbound from Mugu Rock but you get the picture...

https://youtu.be/DGuwgi9blJs

I can't imagine a better intro to California than putting the guys on this an hour or so into their adventure.

Tjhohmann

Cool! The LA part is easy, just jump on 10W from the 405 and it will dump you onto PCH (near the western terminus of Rte 66, so closure, right?).

The connection to 101 in Oxnard can be a little confusing - it doesn't seem like you're going the right way, but you are. But not bad if you've got GPS running.

CaffeineMan

OK my route down is finalized.

Sat 6/2:    Pahrump to Flagstaff
Sun 6/3:  Flagstaff to Alpine, AZ (Sportsmans Lodge)
Mon 6/4:  Alpine, AZ to Silver City, NM down the Devil's Highway
Tue 6/5:    Silver City, NM to Artesia, NM
Wed 6/6:  Artesia, NM to Marathon, TX (Gage Hotel) (https://goo.gl/maps/TqzfJsTaZm52)
Thu 6/6:  Loop through Big Bend and stay at the Gage again (kind of a rest day)
Fri  6/8:  Marathon to Fredericksburg at the Peach Tree Inn (https://goo.gl/maps/sPUHyG3i7Mq)
Sun 6/10: YO Ranch Hotel for the rally.

OMoaC

TJSocal said:
Cool! The LA part is easy, just jump on 10W from the 405 and it will dump you onto PCH (near the western terminus of Rte 66, so closure, right?).

The connection to 101 in Oxnard can be a little confusing - it doesn't seem like you're going the right way, but you are. But not bad if you've got GPS running.
Check this https://goo.gl/maps/VpkeuNLXT2t Anyone have a word on PCH opening?

Tjhohmann

Pretty sure it's open to Santa Barbara & beyond, and by June we should be out of rain/mudslide season.

There are some long-term closures further north but they're not on your route.

OMoaC

Hunter Ligget point. Thanks Dman, Thats how we get back to the coast. Also edited to go through Naciamiento instead of around. Did not add Hunter Ligget yet. https://goo.gl/maps/iBQRm1TcT692  Keep those suggestions coming.

connie_rider

This may seem like a dumb question, but  When/Where will the "OtP" Travelers (Ralf/Andre} be arriving/departing?

Ride safe, Ted

OMoaC

connie_rider said:
This may seem like a dumb question, but  When/Where will the "OtP" Travelers (Ralf/Andre} be arriving/departing?

Ride safe, Ted
Fer you that is! Arriving/Departing  LAX Ca. I'll send ya the Itinerary so far Teddums. Not a bad Idea TJ. Wanted to run them through Solvang. I'll take a look.

santacruzrider

Wait, we're missing the point --- Route - smoute !!  (OK, nothing rhymns with "route")

The bigger question is: When you get to Capitola at the end of Day 1, what's everyone want to drink??? I'll have wine and beer -- but Old Man, what kind of whiskey??? And do I need to install some schnapps (wait, I think I saw enough of someone -- not me or my fellow OtP rider -- expelling that at breakfast to answer my own question ....  no schnapps for ....)      :rotflmao:

OMoaC

You know me Sir! I shall come self equipped. And much like you and I, The travelers shall enjoy what is offered and like it!  ;) :beerchug:

CaffeineMan

OK, my route back is more northerly.  I'm staying at the YO Ranch Hotel over the weekend after the rally and leaving the following Monday:

6/18 - Kerrville to Lubbock (somewhere near there)
6/19 - to Eagle Nest, NM (via Clovis, Tucumcari, Las Vegas)
6/20 - to Bluff, UT
6/21 - to Cedar City, UT
6/22 - back to Pahrump

I've got about 4200 miles and that doesn't even count the week of the rally...

OMoaC

CaffeineMan said:
OK, my route back is more northerly.  I'm staying at the YO Ranch Hotel over the weekend after the rally and leaving the following Monday:

6/18 - Kerrville to Lubbock (somewhere near there)
6/19 - to Eagle Nest, NM (via Clovis, Tucumcari, Las Vegas)
6/20 - to Bluff, UT
6/21 - to Cedar City, UT
6/22 - back to Pahrump

I've got about 4200 miles and that doesn't even count the week of the rally...
Nice  :great: :beerchug:

Tjhohmann

TJSocal said:

Cool :great: Yeah prolly after 9a after PR stuff and packing. I'll take a look at that Santa Monica route. Isn't that alot of stop and go through Malibu etc? Though may be something fun for the Euros to C.  :beerchug:

For those who plan to join on Day 1 in LA but don't want to suffer on the 405 in both directions, I'd suggest a RDVZ at Patrick's Roadhouse in Santa Monica. It's just after you get onto PCH off of the 10, Chevron station next door and it's on the correct side of the road to head north.

If Mark can shoot out an alert when they're leaving Lake Forest others can time their arrivals accordingly - with traffic Kaw HQ to Patrick's is probably between 1-1.5 hours, with filtering set to "on".

OMoaC

I'm hoping to have a tracking device by that time so folks can follow along. Keep ya posted.  :beerchug:

Gumby

Staff member
I'm hoping to have a tracking device by that time so folks can follow along. Keep ya posted.  :beerchug:
Use your phone and Spotwalla  :great:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=14900592ebb3b4ccfc&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

https://spotwalla.com/

OMoaC

Gumby said:
Use your phone and Spotwalla  :great:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=14900592ebb3b4ccfc&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

https://spotwalla.com/
Dang, you rode across Kansas with the Chica? Getting a new smart watch that is GPS enabled. Can track my heart rate too so you know when we are in UT and CO. and when we get to the lodging for the night and get mellow.  ;) :beerchug:

Tjhohmann

Mark, I pre-ran the route as far as Buellton today. No brainer, you definitely want to do 154 out of Santa Barbara. It's a little bit twisty and the scenery is eye-popping, a great contrast to the beach scenes up to that point. There's a paved vista point just past the top that would probably make a good rally point & photo op.

For a quick & tasty lunch I'd suggest El Rancho Market, a couple of miles after you get on 246 from 154. Deli counter serves really good tri-tip sandwiches and other BBQ goodies. And you can pick up a bottle or four of the Central Coast's finest for later enjoyment. From there you can roll through Solvang on 246 and pick up 101 at Buellton.

OMoaC

TJSocal said:
Mark, I pre-ran the route as far as Buellton today. No brainer, you definitely want to do 154 out of Santa Barbara. It's a little bit twisty and the scenery is eye-popping, a great contrast to the beach scenes up to that point. There's a paved vista point just past the top that would probably make a good rally point & photo op.

For a quick & tasty lunch I'd suggest El Rancho Market, a couple of miles after you get on 246 from 154. Deli counter serves really good tri-tip sandwiches and other BBQ goodies. And you can pick up a bottle or four of the Central Coast's finest for later enjoyment. From there you can roll through Solvang on 246 and pick up 101 at Buellton.
Your the Man. I need to recruit you.  :great: :beerchug:

Tjhohmann

Mark, have you got a date and lodging location set for the final day of OtP (Kingman(?) to LA)? If possible I'll plan to connect with you guys for that.

And I think I mentioned before, if you need any help with logistics in LA let me know.

OMoaC

Just PM'd ya. Lat day will be a longy. Planning on staying in Holbrook AZ 16 June into So Cal 17 June.

CaffeineMan

Ok, my trip is finalized.  Sounds like I won't coincide with the OtP crowd, but here's mine if anyone wants to jump in:

Jun 2 - Pahrump, NV -> Flagstaff, AZ
Jun 3 - Flagstaff, AZ -> Alpine, AZ
Jun 4 - Alpine, AZ -> Silver City, NM
Jun 5 - Silver City, NM -> Artesia, NM
Jun 6 - Artesia, NM -> Marathon, TX
Jun 7 - Stay in Marathon, ride Big Bend
Jun 8 - Marathon, TX -> Fredericksburg, TX
Jun 9 - Stay in Fredericksburg, ride the Hill Country
Jun 10 - Ride the Hill Country, then to Kerrville, for the rally.

Edited to add trip back:

Jun 11-14 - Rally
Jun 14-17 - Stay in Kerrville, misc riding around the hill country

Jun 18 - Kerrville -> Lubbock
Jun 19 - Lubbock -> Eagle Nest, NM (via Clovis, Tucumcari, Las Vegas NM)
Jun 20 - Eagle Nest -> Bluff, UT
Jun 21 - Bluff -> Cedar City, UT (via Monument Valley and Duck Creek)
Jun 22 - Cedar City -> Pahrump

CaffeineMan

Rain changed my plans.

I went west through the rain to Alpine TX.  Met Edwin from Illinois there.  Then to Globe AZ.  Then to Page AZ.  Then through monument valley and up to Moab.  Tomorrow winding my way to Nephi UT.  Then Cedar City.  Then home on Saturday.