• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Taking a poll

rufusoregon

Wanting to poll members who are planning on attending the national rally next year in Oregon. How many of you would be interested in sharpening your riding skills by way of a training session with Team Oregon, which is the official motorcycle training operation for Oregon. Options could include a half day session at the venue in the parking lot, riding 70 miles to Medford for a normally scheduled class or if enough people signed up, a session on the go kart track in Medford.
Please reply to this thread with your level of interest.
For more details on what Team Oregon offers go to Team-oregon.org. Make sure you put in the dash between Team and Oregon or you will get a bicycle website.
Ignore the basic and intermediate classes unless you really need to get your endorsement in Oregon which I hope is not the case for our members (lol).

Hate to be a nay-sayer, but posting my replay as many may feel the same as me. And you need input.

After traveling more than halfway across the USA to finally ride that area, "I plan to ride that area every moment that I can".
A day to set in a class just wouldn't be in the cards for me.

That sed, we're hoping to be there. But unsure we will be able to make it next year. šŸ˜µ

Ride safe, Ted

As much as it pains me to agree with Ted, I do. Traveling 2,700+ miles, last thing want to do is take a training session. Will spend what time we have exploring the area. Now, please don't be swayed by this, I'm sure that there are several attendees that live much closer that may want to have the training session.

A very good thought but after the fiasco that happened in Johnson City I expect there will be a lack of interest.
(for those that don't know, the COG intent was good but the vendor selected proved to be less than optimal and much chaffing and hard feelings occurred after the event) It doesn't appear that the same type of problem would occur in this instance, but folks might still be wary and cause a chilling effect.
The only way there might be some interest is if the course is something other than the the usual MSF courses.

I would be interested in one of the shorter classes like the (listed in my order of preference) the Precision Maneuvering class, cornering clinic, or braking clinic, especially if they could be held near the venue.

It's a good idea, but I'll be doing 2000+ to get there, so I'm not interested. I was really looking forward to riding the PNW for the first time when Vancouver was canceled, so I plan to make the most of Canyonville.

Didn't Nick Ienatsch do one at a national one year?...I know I've attended something where he presented one . Been awhile back...

...curves...$5 going in $20 coming out...LOL...think that was him that said that..

Love the idea, but Iā€™ll be splitting time between group rides and sightseeing with non-riding family, so Iā€™m unlikely to squander any time on actually improving skills.

This is exactly the feedback I was looking for, thank you. FYI there would be no "classroom". All training would be on your own bike and 4 hours at most. The riders skill practice has a competitive element where each rider is timed at the beginning and end of the event on a closed course, both to see who is fastest and who improved the most.

I have easy access to Team Oregon, so I'm less set on taking a class while at the event. Having said that, I just took the advanced braking clinic on my XSR700 in August and it was an excellent use of ~3 hours. The instructor was a prior motorcycle cop, current sheriff. Very experienced and knowledgeable, he was on a 1200RT and could flick that thing around like it was a bicycle.

We were lucky in that it ended up being just my friend and I in the class, others didn't show up due to smoke in the air from wildfires, but it wasn't too bad that day.

I'd personally say that the precision maneuvering or braking clinics would be good for Concours owners, as these skills are even more important on these big heavy bikes than on smaller more nimble ones.

Like fastenova, I have easy access to Team Oregon as I'm in WA but like others coming from a longer distance I would probably be happier exploring with others based on time and mileage.

I've ridden with many Team Oregon riders as I'm a USA Cycling/OBRA moto-official when they used to hold the Cascade Classic in Bend so I'm familiar with the safety and precision these riders' experience possess. I've always tried to sign up for a class in the past but can never align my schedule and the pandemic really made it harder to make it work.

I'm open to whenever or whatever happens during the Rally, otherwise will just schedule something on my own.

this course?: I'm in. High interest. Just the course alone is enough to do in one day then head back. Skip the cart track. Gotta wrap my head around the bike lessons. That's enough. Wanna let it sink in afterwards. Training courses are fun. SMART course FL was awesome fun. Wanna do it again. ppl don't realize how valuable training is. It's like if ur not crashing you must be good lol

I don't get on this forum but one every year or so. text me if this happens 407-791-1543

"

Advanced Riding Techniques (ART)​

$179​

MASTER THE ART OF RIDING WELL. To view the course schedule and register, click the button below. ART is offered in Canby and Medford.

As much as I'd like to take in the training, I would rather be out riding, or planning the next day's ride.

Yes, I've seen much of it before...but it is incredible and you never know when will be your last time.

Team Oregon also offered to do an "on the road" training. Which if I understand correctly could be part of a group ride.