• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tech Sessions @ Nationals

Wess

Are these already determined or can we make requests? I have never done or even seen a carb synch performed (hint, hint, beg, beg,) :confuse: I would even volunteer Pearl for the exhibition. Lookin' forward to seeing you guys and gals there! Respectfully Yours! Wess Heavner COG #8010 CDA #0239
2488051070102653285S200x200Q85.jpg

I am looking to go, if I can swing it with John's help I'll be there. If so I can run or help run a tech session on afternoon/evening. Let me chat with "the committee" and see what can be done. Colin Prior Cogmos Administrator Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

The tech sessions at the National are scheduled to be "Tech Seminars" as of now. We have run into issues with doing heavy maintenance where another problem arises with the bike and no parts are available to fix it. Now, having said that, it would not be a problem to do a carb synch or stem bearing adjustment or similar "light" proceedure and I would be willing to do it. Please email me directly with your suggestions for possible other things you would like to see or discussed at the seminar. Thanks in advance. Larry Buck COG 3451,ROK,MTF,IBA,MSF-RC Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

Larry you forgot the on the spot ones. Like last years "changing the rear tire out" or Rev's taking apart his carbs....... Glad to see you're going Wess, see you there..... Dave Muzzey St. Charles, IL COG#7957 '01 Connie
2325745050103317432S200x200Q85.jpg
2525116280103317432S200x200Q85.jpg

Oh yeah. The old we'll change it in the parking lot. I have some video of that circus. How many guys does it take to change a Connie tire..... About 6 as I recall, including the 280 lb. gorilla. Great stuff. See you there. Larry Buck COG 3451,ROK,MTF,IBA,MSF-RC Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

Don't worry about the rear tire offender he won't be able to make it this year. He has a daughter graduating.

Fork oil change, rear gear case lube? Larry you gotta bring that video Respectfully Yours! Wess Heavner COG #8010 CDA #0239
2488051070102653285S200x200Q85.jpg

Some people just don't have their priorities straight. :confuse: Yea Larry 280 lbs makes a good bead breaker with a lot of jumping.... :) Dave Muzzey St. Charles, IL COG#7957 '01 Connie

Hey now, I don't weigh 280. Cameras always add 40 to 50 pounds. ;p I'd be interested in that video as well. I just want to make sure there were no animals injured in the making of the movie! Jim #7353 Everett, WA Current Bikes: '06 Concours "NTRUDR",'84 Honda VT-500 Ascot Past Bikes: '02 Honda 919, '83 Honda XL200R, '81 Suzuki GS-750E, '69 BSA 441 Victor WB7JH - ARRL Life Member U.S. Navy Retired

I completely agree with Larry. The problem with doing anything mechanically comprehensive is the pssibility of busting something, and not having the tools / parts immediately available to effect the repair. Bolts round, threads strip, bikes catch on fire, you know, stuff like that... ;-0 steve Shleper of the 7th gear unit and performance exhaust cam sprockets. My bike - "SHOODABEN" - 1109cc's of what an 04 concours "shoodaben"!

One thing Steve, you can always part your bike out right there and make a killing on it. :eg: Then go and buy another Connie, although it would be a long walk home. Dave Muzzey St. Charles, IL COG#7957 '01 Connie

I can see the progression of this already...and want to interject something from past experience... there's always SOMEONE looking to get there bike worked on for free...and it's quite annoying being saddled with something like that at a rally when we are ALL there to have fun....fork rebuilds....CARB REBUILDS... and stuff like that should not be in the list for tech sessions...(don't even go there...right?) Larry was kind enough to assist me in Canaan, while I did a carb re-build, taking on all the other folks with "I need this fixed" syndrome...when I only asked him to assist by "answering questions, and sharing Tech expertise to those asking them"...He was my savior in a time of chaos, and I thank him greatly. I also had a member call my wife, the sunday before that rally, demanding to talk to me about serious problems he had with the bike...I was already gone to the rally site, and she refused to give him my contact, and told him specifically "if your bike is not correct, and there is a chance of breakdown, DO NOT RIDE IT" he ignored her, rode many miles to get there, and pestered the crap outta me to fix his bike.... sorry dude. Didn't happen. Later in the rally,for other reasons, he ended up ca$$$h outta pocket, and trucking his bike back home a week later from there....warned. Make sure your bike is correctly running, tuned, tires, and everything you need for a safe trip before going...this ain't a free mechanic fest for the new tech guy, or all the others there knowing how to fix bikes...again sorry if I sound harsh, but hey, we are having a rally.... I'm sure Larry has an adgenda, and I agreed to assist for ONE session...(I couldn't sleep not returning the favor) knowing how this works, this site is nowhere's near a kaw dealer, and the nearest one likely won't have the stuff you need onsite....we all have to bring our normal spares like brake levers, and personal tools and such, you break something and you might be trucking the bike home...like some in the past have had to do...it's part of life. Tech will occur, and again, I'm sure it will be a good one...but you can't guarentee having a mobile bike shop onsite like I brought to Canaan...so enjoy the ride, and the stuff the tech dudes offer up...don't make them put in a 10 hour day to fix your bike... oh, and don't glom on Murph's back for days on end there either.... heheheh...he has a life also, and I'm sure he wants to have fun there too....(Gary, you and me are slippin outta there on a daily basis dude!!)
2550418850015463693SQtyXF_th.jpg
2897924420015463693CnEofH_th.jpg
Rich Riczinger COG 5977 JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

So you mean it was OK for me to refuse to do a bevel drive installation at the national? (No I'm not kidding) Steve Shleper of the 7th gear unit and performance exhaust cam sprockets. My bike - "SHOODABEN" - 1109cc's of what an 04 concours "shoodaben"!

Rich I agree with what your saying. I want the bike right before I go down the street much less across state lines to a rally. Once there it's vacation time. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Sheesh guys this seems to be getting out of hand. A simple schedule of what will be done at what time as tech seminars all arranged in advance should clean up this problem. That would be the offical rally information. But it is unrealistic to think when you put all these bikes together that there is not going to be all kinds of unscheduled maintenance. If you do not want to help somebody when they ask for help just say no "I came to ride" not fix someone esles bike. Someone else who's own personel interest is not as high as yours will probably be willing to sacrifice some of their time to help out. If you don't wamt to be bothered with these people let people know that is not what you want to do as a member of the club. Make sure that your listing in the member book says do not call for help etc. I try to live life in the pay it forward mode and consider any request for assistance an opportunity not an obligation.

Jeff, I understand the point you are trying to make. But there is a difference between aomeone having an issue once they are at a rally and someone who shows up to a rally with an issue hoping (or wanting might be a better word) that someone there would solve their problem. It's just like the issue an AAD is these parts had. He'd schedule and arrange a wrench session and the same non-COG person would show up and pester people to work on his bike. I think that's the point some people are trying to make. Most every member I know would go out of their way to some degree to help a fellow biker out if they developed a problem. But for someone to show up to a riding event and really expect to get their problem addressed is not fair. I have TROUBLE listed in my member handbook entry. I've had people call me up and ask for help. I've never had someone leave their house with a problem, drive out to my place and expect me to be there to fix their problem, just because I list TROUBLE. Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649 Merchandise Czar

So you mean it was OK for me to refuse to do a bevel drive installation at the national? (No I'm not kidding) Steve
Damm,,I was hoping for a 1109 cc build and a carb rejet :eg: I would like to do a tire air exchange, I hear that Southern Air is sweeter then Northern air, something to do with Boston Baked Beans,,hook a brother up ;) I figure if I start drinking at 9 by around 10:30 nobody will want me to work on their bikes ;) CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Jeff - I'm gonna hope that the way you wrote that isn't what you really meant, 'cus to me it didn't come across very well. Some of us in the group can fix anything on the bike. IF someone has a breakdown, I CAN'T imagine anyone with the skills not pitching in. But to put it in the light of "not being bothered" or being "selfish" with our time is pretty demeaning. The question was for "Tech Sessions". A failed bike isn't a tech session. No matter how you slice it, it IS an imposition on someone's time if it's getting fixed at the national. Many of us have to use this as our vacation time. I know I am - AND my family is in tow. So do you think If I declined rebuilding a rack of carbs at the national I'm being selfish? Honestly, I probably WOULD do it to get someone going - but what about the next guy and the next guy with a problem? Are those of us skilled in doing this stuff bound by your sense of unselfishness to be the groups maintenance men - so THEY can ride and enjoy the nationals? Try putting yourself in our shoes. I know a pretty good group of guys that can get just about any problem fixed while there. So do we all set up our "pit" to keep you guys riding and screw our National so you won't think we're selfish? HMMM. Maybe you oughta reconsider your postion. Steve Shleper of the 7th gear unit and performance exhaust cam sprockets. My bike - "SHOODABEN" - 1109cc's of what an 04 concours "shoodaben"!

Steve, I agree with much of what you have said but I think Jeff's point was that it would be nice to know what might be done at the sessions and less about what COULD be done. Jeff, while I will help ANYONE with a breakdown and I'm happy to help and supervise anyone while they do some service on their bike the key is thats it's THEIR bike and if they just want to sit back and watch while I do the work then whats the difference between that and going to a shop except for paying the bill at the end. There have been many times people have asked about a tool for doing a job and I've advised them on what tools I have and what I would recommend only to be told it's too much and they would not spend that on the item but they are more than happy to ask me to borrow mine, sometimes I'll let them but many times it's get your own becuase its something I know they will need again. As an auto tech for almost 30 years I learned very early on that if you need to borrow a tool more than once you need to buy one for yourself. It's the old give a man a fish or teach him to fish thing. CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes

This post started out as someone asking what was going to be done as tech sessions at the Nationals. Larry and others were nice enough to explain that they were going to be more seminars than sessions but didn't preclude doing some light maintence. Then the post turns into I sure don't want to spend "my time" working on someone other National attendees bike. That is how the post sounded to me and if it sounded like that to me how many others? It was wrong of me to say that people should take the trouble off their listing and that they wouldn't help if someone asked you for it. That was uncalled for and I apologize. But correct me if I am wrong. At this national some of you would rather not be bothered with this maintenance and repair stuff. That is not a problem for me and it shouldn't be for anyone else. The instances that were problems in the past. Were they scheduled items on the agenda or were they just things you guys got sucked into? I have only been to one other national. Are their really that many people looking for free repairs? You guys have a national reputation as the guys to ask if you have a problem with your Concours. I did not expect any of you to set up shop and do repairs at this national or any other get together. But do you think when you get that many bikes together thay you or somebody won't be asked about repairs? From experience I know how quickly it goes from giving a little advice, answering a question, borrowing a tool, to here just let me do it so we both can get back to what we wanted to do and 3 hours later the afternoon is shot. I guess the only way around that is to not be willling to help in the first place. Again if I offended anyone I apolgize, I did not intend to. I am also planning to be at the National and after this my bike is sure to break down right in front of Steve :)

Wow! You guys have really taken the bait on this deal. Yes, I'm a softie, and would do anything possible to help a rider in need. Having said that, I would prefer to keep the wrenching on the light side for the reasons Rich & Steve mentioned, among others. The carb synch can definitely be done. I need the person who wanted it to ping me directly. Fork oil changes can be problematic, as fork removal is a big job. Sucking the old oil out with a Mighty Vac works, but is not the proper way to do it. As I previously said other things can be done, but let's keep them short on the time deal. If you will take a few notes, you should feel more comfortable about doing a particular operation yourself when you get home. Rich, thank you for the kind words. Despite all the work, we had a ball - I hope the rider (we know who he is) appreciated all the extra work you did for him. I got involved with him again in Frisco too.... Shoulda been there..... You are "welcome" from the guy with the "small hands" for that extra 1/2 turn on the pilot screws, without removing the carbs....again. Now for the tech sessions. Rich & I, and others, will do our best to make your time worthwhile. I have done these sessions at several Rallys now, and added a 2nd one in Frisco due to demand from riders that missed the 1st one. In these sessions, I do not pontificate about what I may know on a given subject; I lead a discussion on a particular topic; drawing upon the wealth of knowledge of the folks there. The fancy word for it is adult learning. Believe me, between all of us, we should have an answer to most anything Concours;10 or 14. 14? Yes, we will have guru's there for our newer 14 riders too. Pass it on. Now for those of you asking for the video of the Frisco 2-step (or upteen step) tire change, I'll try to post it soon. Legal reasons, model releases, disclaimers, photoshopping the beer bottles out, and politically correct matters have to be taken care of 1st. Hey, it's only about 15 seconds...can't be too careful 'ya know. Anyway, thanks for the bandwidth. Looking forward to meeting many of you at Fontana. We'll have a blast. Larry Buck COG 3451,ROK,MTF,IBA,MSF-RC Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

and I'll be right there to step up and fix it. thanks for the apology on your "trouble" statement. That was the particular statement that upset me. Jef, you need to look at it like this... If you're not a mechanic, often a job seems "simple". From the mechanic's point of view, we don't just see the job presented, but the other stuff that happens too - ie breaking a bolt, rounding a head, tearing a boot, etc etc... that's the way our work is. Often when a vehicle breaks it's from neglect. so it's not just the offending broken part, but stuff that is around it or will be involved in the repair is compromised also. then the whole job goes down the tubes. That's just how it goes. THAT'S why there is - and should be - a hesitance to be fixing stuff outside of a properly equipped shop setting. A parking lot is outside that setting. would you ask a carpenter to build a house with no saw, or hammer? A surgeon to operate in a bathroom? That's what it's like asking a mechanic to fix something in a parking lot. While we may be able to do it and make it look easy, trust me it took years to develop that ability. And if something goes wrong it makes the whole situation worse than if no attempt had been made at all. I hope this helps you understand my response, I know that all the other experienced mechanics are silently shaking thier heads in agreement with me. everyone should show up with a well servied and maintained bike and the whole situation will be more enjoyable for everyone concerned. Steve Shleper of the 7th gear unit and performance exhaust cam sprockets. My bike - "SHOODABEN" - 1109cc's of what an 04 concours "shoodaben"!

Hey, just to let you know, if anyone has their industrial gas turbine break down at the National, I'm the guy to help fix it ;). Seriously, I heard the horror stories about the last two Nationals and witnessed some of it at Frisco. As Steve, Larry and Rich stated, they (and I for that matter) would do anything they could to help out another rider who developed a problem. But there is a REALLY big difference between that and someone coming to a rally expecting someone to do their work for them! If it was a problem, fix it before you ride hundreds of miles! Just my $0.02 Eddie 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

There have been guys to show up at a rally with a known issue fully expecting the more experienced mechanics to fix it for them. To the credit of the mechanics, they (usually) did. Good for them but bad for the duffus who brought the broke bike to start with. FWIW and IMO, Tech sessions at the National should be seminars covering "simple" maintenance issues (oil changes, checking fluid levels, bleeding brakes, synching carbs). When you add in more "involved" procedures (valve adjustments or carb re-builds for example), you're asking for troubles like SISF mentioned (a torn gasket, a rounded/broken bolt, etc.). The more "involved" procedures are better handled at local/regional Wrench sessions where the guys have the tools and access to the parts to deal with unforeseen problems.

Pickin up on Norm's "teach a man to fish" line, here's an idear for the mech wizards comin to Fontana: if there is a hands-on-the-bike session, don't touch it, just stupervise & let the owner do the work. It mite be a bit frustrating/slow in a group setting but at least the guy will learn. Larry did that with me awhile back. Priceless! :) 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

Now I know why I didn't get a return answer on my "adjusting the steering bearing" question I PM'ed to someone. All I have to say is, I suppose I will have to learn ON MY OWN. Thanks for nothing........But that's NOT how I operate. I believe in the "teach to fish" theory too.

Hope you gave it a coupla days since your email, the folks putting the rally together are very busy already. In fact they're more busy now than they will be right before the rally. Please give it a few days and maybe another email, OK? They don't owe you, give them time to do you this favor and room to make a mistake. I too would like to be talked through a steering bearing adjustment, with me or another newbie wrencher doing all the work. Maybe the newbie wrencher could already have the handlebars or whatever removed and out of the way before the seminar begins? Save the tech guys some time?

Jenn and Silvera I would think that would be an easy adjustment to do and can be done at the sessions. I have not done mine yet so I think we can learn it together. Lets wait and see what Rich has come up with. With 2 sessions planned I would think it can be done. The one thing about PM's on the forum is it does not give you a prompt when you have mail. CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes

Hey Norm, you can borrow my really big screwdriver. I'll show you how I adjust them silly bearings and you can teach other! :8o: Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649 Merchandise Czar

Jenn & Silvera +1 on giving the official guys a chance I miss my emails on here all the time. but if it falls through at the official session ..... I know a guy at the campround that will have the tool and has done it a couple times before ;)

O.K. I see that the carb synch & stem bearing adjustment seem to be two operations that some want to see done. Going along the line of Paulie's thinking, I can supervise (or help) the owner get the tank and other items out of the way to do them, if they feel they are capable of doing that. If not, I will be glad to do it. Stem bearings will run about an hour or so, taking in account questions and answers along the way. Carb synch about the same. If it's done on the same bike it will be less time, but if two different bikes, we'll get it done, no problem. I will have the proper tools along with me. Larry Buck COG 3451,ROK,MTF,IBA,MSF-RC Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

Oh duh I forgot, I live just a few hours away and I always have extra room in my bags: Is there a tool that will be needed that I can bring? I have a Carb-Max, and if there is a larger tool maybe I have it and can bring it. As long as I can safely strap it to the bike. Bottle jack? Hammer? Rubber mallet? Tire irons? Drift pins? Just let me know and I'll be sure to bring it.... Heck you can fix ANY bike problem with a big enough hammer!!!

Larry, does this mean you won't be needing my really big screwdriver?? ;) I was going to send Norm with it and the proper sized rock for the job.... :) Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649 Merchandise Czar

Geez. Concours are highly engineered machines. I'd never use a "fix all" on a Connie.....uh huh. Larry Buck COG 3451,ROK,MTF,IBA,MSF-RC Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

I was going to send Norm with it and the proper sized rock for the job....
Don't forget the directions,,I might forget which end to hit with the rock :) CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes

Not sure what the BIG rallys are like but...... I had taken some slack out the beaded chain on my CC the morning I left for WRRR 08, (I know, never work on your bike and then head out a few hundred miles!) Anyhoo, the CC stopped working bout 45min from the Rally Site. I get in, throw up a tent and start pulling the side covers off to check it out. Before I could get the tank unbolted, I had 1 flashlight holder, 1 tank propper upper (so I could get to the hoses/wires) 3 advisors/emotional support team, 2 observers, and 1 gawker! It was like I was giving something away!! Now granted, it was a problem that showed up on the way there, but chances are if you break out your tools and remove some plastic, you should get plenty of assistance. Admit it guys, it's nice to be needed!

Before I could get the tank unbolted, I had 1 flashlight holder, 1 tank propper upper (so I could get to the hoses/wires) 3 advisors/emotional support team, 2 observers, and 1 gawker!
That's one of the fundamental laws of Social Behavior Of Motorcyclists. Lonely? Simply open your tool roll or pull out a map. Instant companions. And if it's at a COG rally site motel parking lot, hopefully one of the people will be the Guy In Shorts and Flip-Flops Carrying The Mini-Cooler Full Of Beer And Ice. :)