• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

that ain't scenery, its a distraction

rwjc

Scooter
Enroute to work, trying to focus on the road and all the many intersections in morning rush hour: ...going down a 6 lane why, and following behind a plumber's pickup. "He" told me to change lanes, so I did...and VERY glad I did...this id10t had put his aluminum ladder on his top rack w/o strapping it down. Had I not moved, it would have appeared to have struck my windshield or my chest. Worse, my daughter was on the back with me. God is good. WOW! Later that day and 110mi later, a woman makes a right, I am making a left, double white lines at a controlled intersection. She ignores the lines, and tries to come in my line. On blast of the train horn...she moved quickly!. I had room in a turn lane next to me, luckily no one was coming.

Ride safe everyone...and be careful.. :motonoises:

I had a truck stopping at a cross street fail to tie his rebar down and I saw it flying right at me.  I felt very lucky as I watch the rebar hit the road just behind me in the rear view.  That would have hurt.

Two summers ago I was riding through Pennsylvania on the interstate enjoying the beautiful scenery that
is PA.  There was a semi directly ahead of me, I was at the appropriate distance, we were both at the speed limit,
then suddenly out of the corner of my eye I noticed something pop off of the rear wheel.  It was half way to me before
I determined it was a piece of tire. Popped the handle bar to the left and a 40 lbs chucked missed my windshield by
3 '.

wild man said:
Two summers ago I was riding through Pennsylvania on the interstate enjoying the beautiful scenery that
is PA.  There was a semi directly ahead of me, I was at the appropriate distance, we were both at the speed limit,
then suddenly out of the corner of my eye I noticed something pop off of the rear wheel.  It was half way to me before
I determined it was a piece of tire. Popped the handle bar to the left and a 40 lbs chucked missed my windshield by
3 '.

That's why I try not to follow semi's. And especially not close. I try to pass quickly and far to the other side of the lane. A piece of tire tread could kill you.
Trailers commonly use retreads on trailers. Retreads can and do lose partial and full caps off the tires. So I don't take the chance of being hit by a carcass
if at all possible.  :eek:

Had a cop follow me for a few stop lights on a well known bad highway. If I was near the front, I would safely accelerate to 1/4 mile ahead of the pack. When I stopped at the gas station, he asked what I was doing. I explained I make left turns (no turn lane) off the highway, and have almost been rear-ended a few times. I figure a 1-2-1/4 mile gap gives me enough leeway to make that turn with little worry. He understood as he told me of several accidents he has seen with cars.

Cap'n Bob said:
That's why I try not to follow semi's. And especially not close. I try to pass quickly and far to the other side of the lane. A piece of tire tread could kill you.
Trailers commonly use retreads on trailers. Retreads can and do lose partial and full caps off the tires. So I don't take the chance of being hit by a carcass
if at all possible.  :eek:
Good post. Let me add:

A lot of tractors also use recaps.

Also, a lot of those big trucks have a million plus miles of pounding down some pretty nasty roads, big chunks of iron can and do fall off.

The energy released by a tire blowing out is equal to about two sticks of TNT.

A lot of the drivers are very fatigued.

Blind spots are numerous around a big truck.

Maintenance is just enough to get by on virtually all trucks. I've only worked for two companies that would replace shocks when worn out. This makes stopping distances even longer than they already are.

Sum up: No good can come from hanging close to a truck, or worse yet, cutting off a truck to make a quick turn in front of it.

Disclaimer: I drive a rig, have for about 40 years. I currently have about 2 million miles w/out a preventable accident(1977). A non preventable accident is a much higher threshold than "not at fault".

Also dont forget if you are behind a truck to look between the tyres  (from a distance) as he is going along to check if he has anything wedged in the gap between the tyres.  I always have a look and it has saved me on more than 5 occasions when a brick or something similar has managed to release itself from the gap.